• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Full] Dry Spell (adventure)

Krug

Newshound
Just a note - Great game so far. However, perhaps it'd be better for you not to post the opponent's HP? :) Too much of a giveaway as to the status of the 'beastie'.
Dice rolls are fine of course.

Nac Mac Feegle

First Post
I'd just like to say that I'm loving this game and would like to put a word in in advance for the idea of starting a new pre-made with these guys after this is done. I'm really enjoying this adventure.

Vigwyn the Unruly

First Post
Thanks for the huge compliment Nac and Krug! :)

I think that this group has been fantastic so far. A good mix of personalities and styles.

As for the monster hp, that's an issue I have struggled with. Let me give you my reasoning on it. I have two reasons to tell you the remaining hp. First, as you know, lowering hp has no effect at all until you get down to zero, even when there would be broken bones, loads of blood loss, etc. So, you don't really make any headway against the monster until you have drained it of *all* of its hp. In other words, you don't slow it down, decrease its strength or morale, or anything. I'm not 100% satisfied with that. It seems to me that you at least ought to have a feel for the relative amount of damage you are doing to the creature. This kind of info goes a long way toward helping you decide if it's worth it to, say, provoke an AoO because you might be able to kill the monster with a single blow this round. Second, the DM knows how many hp the PCs have left, so it seems only fair that the PCs should know how many hp the monsters have. However, I'm willing to change this if a majority of the group wants me to.

Finally, I may not be able to update tonight. A good friend of mine is getting her PhD in a couple of weeks then moving to California (we're in the Midwest right now). So a bunch of her friends are getting together tonight and taking her out.

Keep up the good work! :D

Brain

First Post
Great game indeed. I especially like the regular DM updates, it goes a long way and I appreciate it.

A side note for Nac (Hardin):
Enlarge person doesn't increase your chance to hit at all, because the +2 str bonus gives +1 to hit, but you gain a -1 to hit from going up in size, so they cancel out.

Vigwyn the Unruly

First Post
Thanks for the compliment, this has been very rewarding for me, too! Sometimes it can be tough to update at this frequency, but you guys always make it worth it by coming up with cool and surprising actions. I always can't wait to see what you'll post next! Plus, there hasn't yet been one problem in the group, a real accomplishment for a collection of strangers interacting via text. :)

As for the game--Wow! I see you are bringing out some big guns and thoughtful strategy for this one. It will be a little complex to adjudicate, and Saturday night will probably be my last update until I return from vacation, so we'll probably be taking a break in the middle of an encounter.

That being said, I have some questions/concerns before we get started.

First, Brain, you wrote that you would take out a potion of bless weapon, but I think you mean magic weapon. Please let me know if I am wrong.

Second, Nac, I think your attack bonus calculations may be off a little. I have your attack bonus at +8 instead of +11. Let me give you my math and reasoning. Your current attack bonus is +5. Bull's strength cranks your strength up to 18, changing your mod to +4 and your attack bonus to +7. Magic weapon gives an enhancement bonus to attack rolls, but this does not stack with the masterwork bonus your warhammer already has, so your attack bonus stays at +7. Finally, divine favor gives a luck bonus of +1, increasing your attack bonus to +8 (also, this last spell only lasts for 1 minute). I agree with the rest of your numbers, and I'll assume that you'll want to time your buffing such that the last spell is cast right as Slyfen's 1 minute head start is up. By the way, do you want to take the enlarge person potion before entering the cave or wait until you engage some opponent? If waiting, are you going to enter the cave holding the vial in your off hand, or leave it stowed until you need it?

Nac Mac Feegle

First Post
Let me see, I think I made two mistakes, the magic weapon and I forgot and was using my charging attack bonus (because that was what I had seen last). Okay, +8 it is. I'll hold off on casting Divine Favor until right before we head in. I'm drinking the potion as we enter the cave.

Vigwyn the Unruly

First Post
Eolan?

Eolan...are you still with us? I see that you have been on the boards as recently as today (Sunday), but we haven't seen a post from you in Dry Spell for almost two weeks now. I know things have been busy with GenCon, and that the boards were down for several days before that, so it's not a huge deal, but I think we're all antsy to get back up and running.

I'm hoping you're still wanting to play. If so, please post soon so we can continue.

If not, that's OK too, but please let me know so I can find someone else to play your character. (kfargo@indiana.edu)

Hope to hear from you soon. If you don't post by around 9 tomorrow night (Monday), in order to keep the game moving I'll NPC your character until I hear from you. Not a threat or anything, I just need to keep things moving for the other PCs. :)

Vigwyn the Unruly

First Post
Galethorn

Galethorn,

Please post or contact me (kfargo@indiana.edu) by Friday evening. If I don't hear from you by then, I will be looking for another player to take over Eolan. No hard feelings or anything, but I think that players have more fun in a party made up of more PCs than NPCs. ;)

Vigwyn

Remove ads