[FULL] OOC: Dichotomy's Age of Worms Redux [FULL]

Dichotomy

Explorer
So, I'm just gonna handle all this here.

When Baz scans for missed magic, he finds nothing new.

The "blank" scroll was actually already dealt with earlier.

The adamantine loop: I think Allustan told the old party, but maybe not the current one. In any case, Allustan, Eligos, or even Baz or Neth can tell easily that it looks like a Talisman of the Sphere. It radiates strong transmutation. It is currently "inactive," though that makes no sense to anyone.

As for Neth's "wishlist":

Of current stuff:
Neth could keep the heavy steel shield of blinding. His current shield is non-magic, so this would save the party on the "sell-loss."
Circlet of persuasion. It would help Neth a bit (turning checks) EXCEPT he is already wearing the "circlet" of wisdom (from Zosiel's tomb). So, if something can be worked out (like someone else taking the "circlet" and Neth getting something on another slot).
The club +1. Neth certainly doesn't NEED it, but it would be better than his mwk morningstar, and would save on "sell-loss."
The ring of spell storing might be worth keeping, as a thought. As is probably the amulet of natural armor, if someone has the neck slot open.

New stuff:
Wand of MM; caster level 5 or 7; 3,750 or 5,250 gold (no one can craft)

Filler (he doesn't really need, but could take to even him out):
Magic armor (+1 or +2) either crafted or bought, depending on K's XP
Random cleric scrolls (depending mostly upon what things you would like him to have on hand "just in case"; so you guys can have a lot of input on that)
Boots of striding (we should re-discuss whether these exist, or whether only boots of spring & striding exist)

Stuff "for the party":
Neth will probably make SEVERAL wands of CLWs at caster level 1 (375 gp; 30 XP) for between-encounter healing. I would propose that the funds be taken out of the pool, rather than his share.
I've also been considering the possibility of crafting or buying a more powerful wand for emergency needs. I'll leave that up to you, as I wouldn't expect Neth to pay for that either.

TiCaudata

First Post
So I put together a crafting wishlist on a different sheet of our treasure spreadsheet. Look it over, fill in anything I've missed, add stuff as appropriate.

Boots of Striding vs Boots of Striding and Springing. We've all admitted that we don't really ever use the springing part and I think we agreed that Boots of Striding could exist for the same price as their counterparts. As far as I remember, the only reason that we didn't craft them before was that we had a limited amount of raw materials and while they would have been nice, it was nicer to get both a vest of resistance and a peripat peripret peripiat headband of wisdom.

As for group benefit wands and scrolls and what not. There has been a little confusion here I imagine about how the money is being split up. First was my fault for failing to subtract the "selling cost" of various goods. Since that has been dealt with, though, we are in a position where none of you are actually going to catch Erdolliel in wealth from this deal alone. That means that if we want goods like wands of CLW or scrolls of big healing, the material costs will either have to just get subtracted before you divy up the wealth or we can just see how close you all get to your alloted amount and then we'll see what's left.

Basically, I agree that the cost of the group items like wands of CLW or scrolls of CSW should NOT count against a single individual (like Neth), but everyone is still 'paying' for the items since we don't actually have a surplus of wealth.

Feel free to say "huh?" if that doesn't make sense after the third try...

Dichotomy

Explorer
So... a couple things.

Ti informed me that we apparently had some confusion about the bracers of armor. Yes... very much so. Baz had the earlier bracers found... +1. You also found on the lizardking another set. They are +3. So... that's a boon to the treasure pile. We can say that Neth IDs those bracers this morning.

I looked a bit more in depth, particularly at the section of the adventures during the live session. I don't THINK we missed anything else. I will continue to look.

The wish list sheet seems to have an error. The reason for wanting boots of striding only is because they would cost less. But I don't know how to handle that (i.e. its not a second spell to make it "springing" as well; and how much less should they cost for not having "springing?). Thoughts? I guess I don't know what Ti means by "I think we agreed that Boots of Striding could exist for the same price as their counterparts."

To answer Ti's query in the IC thread, I would like to have this stuff decided before we start moving (or at least way closer to decided than we have now).

Anything else?

Dichotomy

Explorer
I talked with o3. We settled on Kushnak being 100 XP behind the party. We can keep "real" track of it now.

After consultation, Neth will only be keeping the club +1. That has been taken off the treasure sheet, added to Neth's wealth, and his spare mwk morningstar added to the treasure sheet in its place.

Neth's wealth was also adjusted by me to account for his now empty (or nearly empty) wands from his starting wealth.

Ti, worthley, and I are on the same page regarding the boots. o3, if you need to be caught up to speed, talk to either me or Ti, depending upon whether you want random babbling or clarity.

So, Neth wants:
Wand of MM: caster level 5 or 7; 3,750 or 5,250 gold (no one can craft)
Magic armor & shield: +1 is 1,000 gp or 500 gp and 40 XP for Kushnak; +2 is 4,000 gp or 2,000 gp and 160 XP (note: it is better to give Neth a bonus to armor and shield before giving either a +2)
Boots of Striding (& Springing): 5,500 gp not crafted; 2,250 and 220 XP (is that right?) if Kushnak crafts (in which case, they are only striding)

I've given some options because 1) it will depend upon how much XP Kushnak is willing to spend and 2) it will depend upon how much the party spends on party treasure (wands/scrolls of healing or other party stuff).

o3caudata

First Post
<rambling: begin>

1) boots of striding MUST cost less than boots of striding and springing. i'm sorry i didn't bring this up earlier. but if it's possible to create them, there will be a market for them. If they're easier to make, more people can will them(no crafting cleric is going to voluntarily take the jump skill).. supply...demand.... For instance, neth wants boots... jump means NOTHING to him. why pay what would be a premium for them when he doesn't have to. i mean, the jump bonus means something to some people maybe(monks, barbs, fighters, rangers, rogues)... and because item slots are limited the bonus provided by the boots as written could actually be more valuable to some. it sucks. because making straight 'boots of striding' cheaper makes them even more accessible to everyone... (read: more broken)

i'm not gonna number anything..... for a bit at least.... first, my opinion is that kushnak(mike) would actually see this as an ideal time to craft. lots of downtime, already barely behind everyone[read: barely short of a lever] so i think he'd do all he could, especially for himself.

as such conditional item want lists:

eskard:

5500 boots (they're worth it for him)
2000 belt of +2 str (kush craft 1 day, 160xp)

2000 amulet of armor (keep. it's a better value than increasing the armor)

1316 left for 2 clw wands(we need them..)

kushnak:

2000 plate +2(kush crafts 1 day, 160xp)
1000 greatsword +1 (kush crafts 1 day, 80xp)
2000 cloak of res +2 (kush crafts 1 day, 160xp)

1081 left for wands

neth(from kush):

500 plate +1 (kush crafts 1 day, 40xp)
500 shield +1 (kush crafts 1 day, 40xp)
[i think your post implies he needs both still? which confuses me base on the wish list]
[i'm fine with +2 instead, 1500gp, 120xp]

total xp lost: 640 [ 720xp w/ +2 for neth]

total leftover(kush&esk): ~2498.19 ( that's 6+ wands, or a couple wands from us and some save our ass scrolls, i'm fine with surrendering this to neth's discretion)

<rambling:end>

Last edited:

Dichotomy

Explorer
This is probably more for my benefit than anyone else's. However, that statement should not be construed so as to absolve you of the need to read the post.

1. Regarding boots of striding (& springing). I think we discussed this. I also think that o3's argument that they should cost less (for economic reasons) is, in this instance, undermined by o3's concluding statement (which reads like a concession on the point). Is there anything else to be said about this issue? If not, I think we should make them cost the same, but allow a person without the ranks in jump have the ability to craft them w/o jump bonus.

2. Character wealth issues of wands and spellbooks.
2a. Spellbooks: I discussed this at least with Ti and worthley (and I think Ti discussed it with o3). Here is my conclusion: spells which are added to Bazrim's spellbook solely because he automatically learned then upon gaining a level, should NOT count toward the "value" of his spellbook. Spells added via other means (e.g. purchased, recovered from captured spellbooks, etc.) DO count toward the "value" of his spellbook. As a sidenote, once Bazrim had copied spells from captured spellbooks into his own spellbook, the captured spellbook should be able to be sold.
2b. Wands: Again, discussed over the weekend. Here's the bottom line: if Bazrim gets to continually invest his share of treasure in wands, use those wands, and then have that not count against Bazrim's later share of the treasure, Bazrim would get a huge windfall. This isn't terribly equitable. I think we all agreed that wands should count toward the total value of the owner's possessions (and not be reduced because they are used). Essentially, the notion is that value should be tracked by what a party member has ACQUIRED, whether it still exists or not. Now, this brings up the question of whether that means we all need to rigorously keep track of potions, acid flasks, etc. that we've long since used and the like. THAT could be cumbersome. Thoughts?

What else do we need to finish up?

Dichotomy

Explorer
I knew I'd forget something...

3. Regarding scrolls: I discussed this with at least Ti and o3. In short, I (as the DM) shouldn't decide what scrolls to purchase for the party's contingency needs. While, IC, it is certainly Neth that would decide what to get, I shouldn't be making that decision. So, you guys need to do the scroll goo.

TiCaudata

First Post
Alright, since Worthley hasn't gone and posted any addendum to what he wants I'm going to assume that his earlier post of
Worthley said:
1 scroll comprehend languages - 25 gp and to add it to my spell book
1 headband of intellect - new - 4000 gp
1 caster level 7 MM wand - 5250gp
is accurate.

This leaves us with a grand total of 11,974 for scrolls and wands. That's a good haul. If we go with one of every scroll on our 'wish list' we would have 4,249 left for wands. I don't know if I believe that to be a good idea or not though, since multiple wands might have more value to us than "just in case" scrolls.

Moving on, I'm ok with only the added spells counting for Worthley. I haven't received a final answer on whether we ever sold the spellbooks that Bazrim copied from or not though. Assuming we haven't, that's a bit of wealth that will balance out for Bazrim. Looking at Bazrim's spellbook, I see that he has marked 1,400 worth of spells as being 'purchased'. I don't believe that this includes any of the spells that were copied over from the captured spellbooks though, since 'shield' isn't on that list, but was commented as being copied over on the first or second page of our current IC thread. Shield raises the worth of Bazrim's current spellbook to 1500, anything else raises it more.

I do think we need to come up with some way of keeping track of ephemeral wealth such as wands and scrolls. Since this is our first division of wealth it would be easy in theory to start right now by making a 'wand and scroll' sheet and keeping track of how much wealth and charges each wand has. The unfortunate part of such a spreadsheet is that I believe I would be stuck with keeping track of everyone's wands since I tend to be more diligent (read: less patient) about keeping those neat. That admission shouldn't be read as "Oh goody! Ti will just keep track of them!" because that'll make me cranky and prone to adding penalty charges or something else vague but threatening.

That's all I got for now I think.

Dichotomy

Explorer
Neth's final list (assuming Kushnak is willing to craft):
Wand of MM, caster level 9: 6,750 gp
Add +1 to armor: 500 gp and 40 xp (Kushnak)
Add +1 to shield: ditto

7,750 gp and 80 xp from Kushnak total.

Can't really think of anything else yet. Neth will be generous for now. You can use the rest of his share to cover party goo.

TiCaudata

First Post
alright!

that gives us about 2449 left for a few scrolls! we already have some picked out on the "scroll wish list" sheet of the treasure sheet. What should we finalize?!

Remove ads