D&D General Fund raiser to save birthplace of D&D Gary Gygax's house in Lake Geneva

aileron

Villager
First post! Long time lurker. I've read a lot of the TSR and Gygax threads here, but didn't see anything about this.

There's a fund raising effort by the current owner of 330 Center St in Lake Geneva. I'm surprised it's only earned a few thousand bucks so far. I have no idea if or how this is connected to the current Gygaxs.

Spoilers:
The video contains Matt Mercer and other current D&D personalities.

Might be because of your new status (botspam prevention, etc.). Let's see if I can post it.

Phwew! I was worried this was going to be another scheme from the NuTSR crowd*. Instead it looks like the people who bought the Gygax home (to use as a home) would like help with enhancing the house. Not sure if I want to contribute to someone else's needed-home-maintenance costs for what it looks like would still be their personal residence. Also hope the Frontany's don't intend to fix up the house and make it 'a place of pilgrimage for DnD players from around the globe' as a business venture. I think there's a fixed pool (with a fixed budget) of people wanting to go to Lake Geneva simply because it is the birthplace of D&D, and this would just split that pool into one more piece.
*fear of this might explain the low contribution total.

Regardless, it's for each of us to decide if we want to donate. Glad it isn't another LaNasa scam. Thanks for bringing it to out attention. Whatever I decide, I'll certainly be watching their progress.

eyeheartawk

#1 Enworld Jerk™
Instead it looks like the people who bought the Gygax home (to use as a home) would like help with enhancing the house. Not sure if I want to contribute to someone else's needed-home-maintenance costs for what it looks like would still be their personal residence.
Correct.

I've been to Lake Geneva several times and I can tell you even a small home like this is worth quite a bit of money.

In fact, I just checked and it's worth $364,000.

Pay for your own new furnace like everybody else.

aileron

Villager
Might be because of your new status (botspam prevention, etc.). Let's see if I can post it.

Phwew! I was worried this was going to be another scheme from the NuTSR crowd*. Instead it looks like the people who bought the Gygax home (to use as a home) would like help with enhancing the house. Not sure if I want to contribute to someone else's needed-home-maintenance costs for what it looks like would still be their personal residence. Also hope the Frontany's don't intend to fix up the house and make it 'a place of pilgrimage for DnD players from around the globe' as a business venture. I think there's a fixed pool (with a fixed budget) of people wanting to go to Lake Geneva simply because it is the birthplace of D&D, and this would just split that pool into one more piece.
*fear of this might explain the low contribution total.

Regardless, it's for each of us to decide if we want to donate. Glad it isn't another LaNasa scam. Thanks for bringing it to out attention. Whatever I decide, I'll certainly be watching their progress.
Thank you for posting the link!

darjr

I crit!
From what I understand they open their home for tours. I’ve heard that they’ve been very genrerous with thier time and with access to the house.

And it’s not just a private home repair. For example they are going to add a wheel chair ramp for guests to the house! From what I know none of them use a wheel chair.

eyeheartawk

#1 Enworld Jerk™
From what I understand they open their home for tours. I’ve heard that they’ve been very genrerous with thier time and with access to the house.

And it’s not just a private home repair. For example they are going to add a wheel chair ramp for guests to the house! From what I know none of them use a wheel chair.

And the other five things?

• Vanquish two large trees whose roots have invaded the plumbing and foundation
  • Summon a new main sewer line
  • Give our players immunity to Cold Damage with a new heating system
  • Level up the roof and gutters
  • Cast the spell “Scrape and Paint”
  • Conjure a ramp for adventurers in wheelchairs

darjr

I crit!
And the other five things?

• Vanquish two large trees whose roots have invaded the plumbing and foundation
  • Summon a new main sewer line
  • Give our players immunity to Cold Damage with a new heating system
  • Level up the roof and gutters
  • Cast the spell “Scrape and Paint”
  • Conjure a ramp for adventurers in wheelchairs
It is ALSO their home. And even full time museums need these things?

darjr

I crit!
Seems to me, the obvious solution would be to charge for hosting events. That way you're not on a website full of people with medical bills asking for people to pay for repairs on a private residence, you know?
Or maybe the community could come together to help each other when someone in custody of a beloved thing asks for help with it? Someone who has been, as far as I know, super cool and generous and wants to do more with the treasured item they happen to poses. Which also happens to be their home?

I dunno. I don’t have all the details. However the knee jerk negativity seems petty.

Remove ads