D&D General Fund raiser to save birthplace of D&D Gary Gygax's house in Lake Geneva

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
Well, that's the question. My understanding was that they do charge for usage. That it's their second house, and they also rent it out, especially for gaming events.

In 2005, my husband and I fell in love with this house and bought it to serve as our family's getaway retreat. Soon after, I began to notice people occasionally stopping to take pictures outside. When I received a call looking to film a documentary at the house, I knew we had stumbled upon a treasure. Everything has been a whirlwind since. I went from not knowing much about Dungeons & Dragons to it becoming a big part of our lives. Having the opportunity to make someone's day (or month or year!) with a tour of the house or a game with their friends has been incredibly fun!
(emphasis mine)

If they're actually donating its usage to gamers for no charge (or substantially discounted rates), then yeah, it totally makes sense for folks to donate in return to support their generosity. If, OTOH, it is a rental property, than while I won't discourage anyone who has the extra cash and wants to help with their renovations, I've got actual charities which are higher priority for my own giving.

Last edited:

eyeheartawk

#1 Enworld Jerk™
Or maybe the community could come together to help each other when someone in custody of a beloved thing asks for help with it? Someone who has been, as far as I know, super cool and generous and wants to do more with the treasured item they happen to poses. Which also happens to be their home?

I dunno. I don’t have all the details. However the knee jerk negativity seems petty.
By all means, give them as much money as you like. It just isn't a clear cut unambiguous good as you seem to think it is. I host a free 4 day gaming con at my house every year. Should I ask for donations to replace my siding from attendees? Do I then owe them some kind of return when I sell my house for the increased value I got from all the solicited improvements?
Well, that's the question. My understanding was that they do rent out the place for events. That it's their second house, and they also rent it out, especially for gaming events.

(emphasis mine)

If they're actually donating its usage to gamers for no charge, then yeah, it totally makes sense for folks to donate in return to support their generosity. If, OTOH, it is a rental property, than while I won't discourage anyone who has the extra cash and wants to help with their renovations, I've got actual charities which are higher priority for my own giving.
Yeah, I won't be donating to fix up somebody's second home. Who may or may not already charge for events. Come on, this isn't petty. I just chucked a $100 to Ukraine instead. Many more worthwhile things.

Dire Bare

Legend
And the other five things?

• Vanquish two large trees whose roots have invaded the plumbing and foundation
  • Summon a new main sewer line
  • Give our players immunity to Cold Damage with a new heating system
  • Level up the roof and gutters
  • Cast the spell “Scrape and Paint”
  • Conjure a ramp for adventurers in wheelchairs
These are definitely "home maintenance" repairs . . . . but they are also "museum repairs".

The owners didn't, at first, realize they had purchased a piece of nerd history. If they want to capitalize on that, I don't have a problem with it. I think the segment of D&D fans that care about "the house where D&D was created and first played" would like to see the house preserved and maintained in good condition, and might be willing to toss some dollars towards. It's a fair enough trade for free tours and engagement with the fan community.

But, it doesn't surprise me that the owners crowdfunding campaign isn't doing all that great. I'm not sure the segment of the fan community that cares is big enough to matter (financially speaking).

Personally, I find "the house where D&D was born" an interesting curiosity . . . but nothing more than that. If the owners eventually abandon their engagement with the fan community and the house returns to simply being a private residence, I'm fine with that. If there is enough interest from the fan community for them to maintain their engagement, then that's awesome. I feel the same with the "Dungeon Hobby Shop" run by the nu-TSR crew . . . it's not a project of importance to me. I suspect I'm in the majority.

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
Personally, I find "the house where D&D was born" an interesting curiosity . . . but nothing more than that. If the owners eventually abandon their engagement with the fan community and the house returns to simply being a private residence, I'm fine with that. If there is enough interest from the fan community for them to maintain their engagement, then that's awesome. I feel the same with the "Dungeon Hobby Shop" run by the nu-TSR crew . . . it's not a project of importance to me. I suspect I'm in the majority.
I think likening these folks to the frauds and grifters who run the DHS"M" is a bit harsh.

darjr

I crit!
I think likening these folks to the frauds and grifters who run the DHS"M" is a bit harsh.

Do or do not donate, sure, there are better things to give your money too. Probably always will be.

Edit to add I applaud giving to charity, like to benefit Ukraines efforts.

Last edited:

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Sad... WotC could probably take care of this pretty easily and show their support for a game founder. It would make a great publicity event and they could even host a (very small) company retreat program there if they wanted.

I'll have to dig around in the cushions of my couch to see if I can help much personally... If I can scrounge the money together I would love the 3 t-shirt package. :D

Remove ads