Gaming W/Jemal: Mutant Apocalypse (Recruitment always open)

Jemal

Adventurer
*L* looks like Rath got a bit impatient. ;)

The '90 points in powers' restriction is only a restriction for the 'powerful' variant that gets more pp, and it was originally supposed to be 90 points in POWERS only, but I'm going to expand it a bit to say you can buy some enhanced abilities/Feats so long as they are part of your SUPER POWERS, and would be negated/countered by any effect which could counter your super-powers. (Basically 90 of the points spent has to have the 'meta-human trait' descriptor, or something along those lines.)

As to Growth - I've always been under the impression that abilities like that aren't 'all or nothing' unless they say so. If you want to use a power at partial strength, you can. So if you have say Growth 10, that means that when you 'grow', you can grow to any point UP TO and Including 10.

I would also suggest that for your character Trait, you take either Powerful (Since you'll likely be spending a lot of points on straight powers anyways) with a +2tough/-2Def and +2 dmg/-2 atk Trade-off, or Trained, with +2 tough/+1atk/+1 dmg.

Now, A disection of your character as posted:

Please note which Trait your character has.

Having BASE Str/Stam of 5 is ~ Best in Nation, signifying that your character WITHOUT meta-human abilities is of Olympian stature. If you wish to show that part or all of his enhanced metabolism is from being meta-human, they should be bought as Enhanced abilities via Powers. (And yes, how you buy them does matter as there are things in the world that can enhance/nullify meta-human abilities)

Offenses: Not sure how you got those numbers.
5 Fighting + 7 close combat grab/punch/kick would equal 12, not 9.
Though on that note, your skills say you payed 2 for punch/kick(Making the TOTAL 7 when you add 5 fgt), and 4 for grab(TOTAL 9 with fgt).

0 dodge = EEP! Even if you do want to be the big-tough, easy to hit brick, I'd suggest maxing your dodge (Whatever the max ends up being after tradeoffs) simply for comat Balance issues. Same goes for Parry.

Toughness: You've got it listed as 5 base, 9(Impervious) in Metal Form. Now a little math : the 5 base is from stam. You bought 9 impervious protection, which should ADD to your toughness, and you've also got the growth, which will add 4 stam. As you have it your toughness would be 18, with 9 of it impervious, when you are in metalform. I'd suggest figuring out your trait & Trade-offs, then lowering one of them so you're not buying a bunch of 'extra' toughness that you aren't getting to use.

The only other thing I have a problem with is the Regeneration. I don't like Tough characters with regeneration, as it makes them TOO sturdy. Very hard to hurt AND when you finally do get hurt you heal it quickly.

In fact, I dislike Regeneration in general unless it's the primary focus of the character. It's too easy to add to pretty much any build and say it fits, thus I'm going to limit it to only Regenerating characters.

Jemal

Adventurer
Now for Shayuri's :

Well keeping in mind I'm also new to this system, here's what I've got for your powers:
Telekinesis Array:
Telekinesis +9 (Move Object, Perception, Sustained, Subtle, Precise, 4pp/rnk+2)
Move object is 2/rank, Change Ranged To perception is + 1 for 3/rank. Subtle & Precise=+2 flat(+3 if it's subtle 2?). Total should be 3X9+2=29
*NOTES: Effective STR 9, which can lift up to 12 tons
AP - Throw Something Big +8 (Damage, Line Area 3, Indirect 4, Subtle 4pp/rnk+5) 1pp
Damage = 1/rank. Line Area 3 = +3/rank. for 4/rank. Indirect4 + subtle1=+5 Flat. Total = 9X4 + 5 = 41. * This should be your 'primary'
Further, Unless you increase the range from close to Ranged for another +1/rank (Making the total 49), the line would have to start AT you, and Indirect is not usable as it's only usable on ranged powers. (Close powers that have Area would be centered/start at the user).
AP - Throw Lots of Little Things +9 (Damage, Ranged, Multiattack, Subtle, 3pp/rnk+1) 1pp
Damage = 1/rank, Ranged +1/rank, Multiattack+1/rank = 3/rank. Subtle=+1 flat. Total =9X3+1=19 pp
This one works fine.
AP - Compression Wave +9 (Damage, Burst Area, Selective Attack
damage = 1/rank, Burst area +1/rank, Selective attack +1/rank = 3/rank. Total=9X3=18pp.
This one works fine, but keep in mind that like the 'Throw Something Big' effect, it would be centered on you if you don't add the Ranged ability to allow you to center it anywhere within that range.

So that's it for your TK array, needs a little bit of polish, hopefully my math helped (And was correct..)

Now the rest of it:
Telekinetic Deflection (Enhanced Defense: Dodge +7, Enhanced Defense: Parry +8) 15pp
Looks fine.
Telekinetic Shield +8 (Protection, Sustained, Impervious) 16pp
Looks fine.
Telekinetic Lift +6 (Flight, Platform, Subtle 2, 1pp/rnk+1pp) 7pp
Flight 2/rank Platform -1/rank, Subtle2=+2 flat. Total = 6X1+2=8pp (Unless you meant Subtle 1?)

Last edited:

Rathan

First Post
Jemal said:
Please note which Trait your character has.

Not sure what you mean by 'Trait' and Trade-offs but I'll look at the book. If you could explain these that would be great as I'm a frickin noob LOL. Also what things are limited by the Power Level of the game? Is everything limited to +9 or are there things that can go above it?

EDIT: What would you suggest I take to max my dodge and parry?

Last edited:

jkason

First Post
Okay, had a go at this. Let's see how much of a mess it is. :)

[sblock=First Pass Stats]Terry Quinlan AKA The Grid

PL 9
Powerful (145 PP)

Abilities

Str: 0
Ag: 2
Fgt: 0
Awe: 1/4
Sta: 1
Dex: 1/3
Int: 1/8
Pre: 1/3

Defenses:

Dodge: 5 (+7)
Fort: 5 (+6)
Parry: 5 (+5)
Toughness: 4 (+5/+9)
Will: 3 (+7)

Skills:
Deception 2 (+5)
Perception 5 (+9)
Ranged Combat (electric blast) 6 (+9)
Technology 11 (+19)
Equipment 2 (10 ep)

Advantages: Improvised Tools, Inventor, Takedown

Powers:
Electrical Control Array (21 pts)
* Electric Arc 9 (Damage, Ranged 2/r) (18 pts)
* Alt: EMP 9 (Nullify electronics, Area 2/r) (1pt)
* Alt: Optic Nerve Overload 9 (Affliction, Ranged, Cumulative, Limited (visual) 2/r) (1pt)
* Alt: Electrical Aura 4 (Damage, Reaction 4/r) (1pt)

Comprehend (Machines) 2 (4pts)
Immunity (electricity) 5 (5pts)
Remote Sensing 9 (Visual senses, Medium (electronics) 1/r) (9pts)
Radio Sense 1 (1pts)
Teleport 9 (Accurate, Medium (conductive materials) 2/r) (18 pts)

Hyper-sensitive Nerves 3 (Enhanced Awareness, PF: Uncanny Dodge 2/rank +1 flat) (7pts)
Super-conductive brain 7 (Enhanced Int, PF: Eidetic Memory, Skill Mastery (tech) 2/rank +2 flat) (16 pts)
Speed-of-thought nerves 2 (Enhanced Dex, PF: Evasion 2 2/rank +2 flat) (6pts)
Subconscious Cortical Stimulation 2 (Enhanced Pre 2/rank) (4pts)

Equipment:
Bulletproof Vest (3ep)
Commlink (1ep)
Mini-Tracer (1ep)
Goggles (toggle Flash and Night-Vision) (2ep)

Powers 91 + Abilities 14 + Defenses 22 + Skills 14 + Advantages 4 = 145PP[/sblock]

Shayuri

First Post
Now for Shayuri's :

Just for my own sake, I -did- note that the sheet is a Work In Progress. :) It's not even a first draft yet. I haven't worked out all the math, especially in the array...as you have discovered. :)

Move object is 2/rank, Change Ranged To perception is + 1 for 3/rank. Subtle & Precise=+2 flat(+3 if it's subtle 2?). Total should be 3X9+2=29
*NOTES: Effective STR 9, which can lift up to 12 tons

The Move Object power in 3rd Edition is Concentration Duration. I bought it up to Sustained for another +1/rank. Thus, my math on this is correct, I believe.

Damage = 1/rank. Line Area 3 = +3/rank. for 4/rank. Indirect4 + subtle1=+5 Flat. Total = 9X4 + 5 = 41. * This should be your 'primary'
Further, Unless you increase the range from close to Ranged for another +1/rank (Making the total 49), the line would have to start AT you, and Indirect is not usable as it's only usable on ranged powers. (Close powers that have Area would be centered/start at the user).

Oh yes, good catch on the Indirect/Ranged thing. Very good in fact. Dang, and this power's already pretty expensive. Perhaps I need to re-think it's concept. Thanks!

damage = 1/rank, Burst area +1/rank, Selective attack +1/rank = 3/rank. Total=9X3=18pp.
This one works fine, but keep in mind that like the 'Throw Something Big' effect, it would be centered on you if you don't add the Ranged ability to allow you to center it anywhere within that range.

Yeah, this power I envision as a kind of concussive explosion outward away from Cassandra. Knocking folks back on their keisters. Telekinetically driven air pressure, basically...but that she's learned some finesse with (hence the Selective).

Flight 2/rank Platform -1/rank, Subtle2=+2 flat. Total = 6X1+2=8pp (Unless you meant Subtle 1?)

Doh! That was a math error on my part. I'll correct it when I update the WIP to a 1st draft later on.

Jemal

Adventurer
Rathan -
Traits are something unique to my games. I posted the list in the character rules (Post 2 of this thread). Trade-offs have a max based on your traits and work the same as in 2e. Normally your max Def/Tough/Atk/Dmg are all equal to PL. Trade-offs allow you to trade the caps on a 1 for one basis. You can alter your Defenses (dodge&parry For toughness) and/or Offenses (Attack for damage)
Also, would you like me to work on/post a variant of what I think would work for your character, or would you prefer to keep working on him yourself?

Shayuri -
I understand, just figured I'd give it the once over anyways.
Move Object - My 3e book has Duration: Sustained. Anybody else wanna give us a tie breaker?
Throw something Big - My suggestion would be to just drop one rank of area for the Ranged. Line area 2 would still be 10'wideX60' long. And with the indirect and range, that would be a vairly versatile attack.

Jemal

Adventurer
Jkason:
Electrical Control Array (21 pts)
* Electric Arc 9 (Damage, Ranged 2/r) (18 pts)
* Alt: EMP 9 (Nullify electronics, Area 2/r) (1pt)
* Alt: Optic Nerve Overload 9 (Affliction, Ranged, Cumulative, Limited (visual) 2/r) (1pt)
* Alt: Electrical Aura 4 (Damage, Reaction 4/r) (1pt)
EMP needs to state what kind of Area.
Optic Nerve Overload needs to state what the effects of the affliction are.
I'm not going to allow Damage effects with reduced actions or as reactive effects.
Remote Sensing 9 (Visual senses, Medium (electronics) 1/r) (9pts)
Teleport 9 (Accurate, Medium (conductive materials) 2/r) (18 pts)
I'm going to have to think about both of these b/c neither medium will be much of a limitation. They're too limiting to be a complication, but I don't think limiting enough to be worth the listed points. I'll get back to you on it.
Hyper-sensitive Nerves 3 (Enhanced Awareness, PF: Uncanny Dodge 2/rank +1 flat) (7pts)
Super-conductive brain 7 (Enhanced Int, PF: Eidetic Memory, Skill Mastery (tech) 2/rank +2 flat) (16 pts)
Speed-of-thought nerves 2 (Enhanced Dex, PF: Evasion 2 2/rank +2 flat) (6pts)
Subconscious Cortical Stimulation 2 (Enhanced Pre 2/rank) (4pts)
This mostly looks good, but I'd like to hear more on your thoughts of how being electroman makes you more charismatic.

Rathan

First Post
Do sources of Impervious stack? Like 4 ranks in Enhanced Trait Stamina Impervious and Protection 4 Impervious? Both add to toughness, would this not net a total Impervious to my toughness rank at +8 Impervious?

EDIT: Also, do I get the max +'s and -'s from growth no matter what size I am in between seeing as you allow PC's to go anywhere from normal size to max growth?

EDIT2: If this still looks.... wonky Jemal please, by all means, whip a character up that you think would flow better.. I'm floundering here and 'hoping' at best that I remotely know what I'm doing... any and all help here would be wonderful... I'd rather have a character someone helped me revamp and is effective than something I made and is in a lot of ways.. useless in some aspects heh...

Ok.. take two... lets see how I did this time!

[sblock=James "Tinman" Corin]
Name: James "Tinman" Corin
Race: Human/Mutant
Power Level: 9 (145 PP's)
Trait: Powerful
Points Left to Spend: [2]

Str 1 ([12], +7 Enh Trait, +4 Growth)
Sta 1 ([8], +4 Enh Trait, +4 Growth)
Dex 0
Agi 0
Fgt 1 ([8] +7 Enh Trait)
Int 2
Awe 1
Pre 2
16 Pts

Offense
Initiative: +0
Melee Attk (Unarmed): +3(+10), 9 Damage [+1(8) Fgt, +2 Skill]
Melee Attk(Grab): +3(+10) [+1(8) Fgt, +2 Skill]

Defenses
Dodge: +9 (9 Pts.) [+7 w/Growth]
Parry: +9 (9 Base + 1 Fgt) [+7 w/Growth]
Toughness: +10 [Impervious 8] ( +0 Base, +10 Powers)
Fort: +6(+13) (+5 Base +1(8) Sta)
Will: +6 (+5 Base, +1 Awe)
28 Pts.

Skills
Close Combat (Unarmed) [Fgt] +3(10) (+2 Base, +1(8) Fgt)
Close Combat (Grab) [Fgt] +3(10) (+2 Base, +1(8) Fgt)
Investigation [Int] +5 (+3 Base, +2 Int)
Persuation [Pre] +5 (+3 Base, +2 Pre)
Expertise (Current Events) [Int] +5 (+2 Base, +2 Int)
7 Pts

Advantages
Choke Hold (Grab can cause opponent to suffocate)
Contacts (May make Investigation check in one min to contacts)
Improved Grab (Make grabs with just one arm)
Improved hold (Opponents in grab get -5 to escape checks)
Improved Defense (+2 circumstance defensive checks when taking defend action)
Great Endurance (+5 circumstand bonus against fatigue, breathing, hot or cold env. etc..)
6 Pts.

Powers:
Razor Claws +9 (Damage, Penetrating +1/r) 18 Pts.
Steel Strength [Str] 7 (Enhanced Trait, Linked - Protection) 14 Pts.
Iron Toughness [Sta] 4 (Enhanced Trait, Linked - Protection, Impervious +1/r) 8 Pts.
Titanium Fists [Fgt] 7 (Enhanced Trait, Linked - Protection) 14 Pts.
Mass of Steel 4 [12 Ft. Tall] (Growth, Linked - Protection, +4 Str and Sta, +4 Intim. -4 Stealth -2 Parry and Dodge) 8 Pts.
Steelskin 4 (Protection, Sustained, Impervious +1/r) 8 Pts
Super Leap 8 [1800 ft. leap, 12 Seconds] (Leaping, Linked - Protection, Affects Others +1/r) 16 Pts.
86 Pts.[/sblock]

Last edited:

jkason

First Post
EMP needs to state what kind of Area.

Somehow I had it in my head that area was a default shape, and other shapes cost points. Actually, I'm still a bit confused looking in the book, since areas seem to have 'range ranks' attached. If it doesn't cost any more, a cone would be nice. If not, a burst is fine.

Optic Nerve Overload needs to state what the effects of the affliction are.

I was pulling the effect names from the Dazzle sample, which is all I'm really going for. There, they list it as 'One degree of failure leaves the sense impaired (–2 penalty). Two degrees leave it disabled (–5 penalty) while three de- grees leave the sense unaware: The target automati- cally fails Perception checks involving the sense, and everything effectively has total concealment from that sense.' So would I just list that as 'impaired/disabled/unaware'?

I'm not going to allow Damage effects with reduced actions or as reactive effects.

That's fine. Mostly I was just looking for a close / melee damaging ability. Maybe I could link it with a Move Object limited direction effect: if he hits, the electrical burst has a chance to throw someone back (since, honestly, he's not going to want to be in melee, anyway)...

I'm going to have to think about both of these b/c neither medium will be much of a limitation. They're too limiting to be a complication, but I don't think limiting enough to be worth the listed points. I'll get back to you on it.

Would 'cameras' be a better limitation on the remote sensing? i.e. he can see through electronic devices designed to see. I think the wording of the other made it sound like he could view a room through a toaster, which certainly wasn't my intent. :)

On the teleport, is 'electrical lines' better (I believe that's the wording of the medium in the book), and if so, could I make a Permeate alt (probably with suffocate immunity) for conductive materials? The idea wasn't that he can teleport from any piece of metal to another, but rather that he's transmitting himself through power lines for the long range stuff and through, say, a doorknob, to get from one side of a door to another. There would always have to be a continuous path

This mostly looks good, but I'd like to hear more on your thoughts of how being electroman makes you more charismatic.

My idea was that Terry's subconsciously manipulating electrical impulses in folks' brains so that they're more receptive to him. He doesn't have the control to actually mind control folks or even have real emotion control, just make himself seem more charming than he would be without his abilities in play.

Remove ads