Gaming W/Jemal: Mutant Rising OOC (Game has started!)

Andor

First Post
Here we go, Kid Super statted up.

Roy is about 5'8" 140#, with Blond hair and blue eyes.
He's a pretty average teenager, who woke up with superpowers and leapt right into the superhero role without looking. We'll see how well that works out. :uhoh:

[sblock= I love HeroMachines]
attachment.php
[/sblock]

[sblock=Kid Super]Name: Roy Ellings
AKA: Kid Super

Level 10 Superhero/teenager

Allegience: Friends, Good

Stats: (18 pts)
Str (12)30 +10
Dex 14 +2
Con 12(16) +3
Int 9 -1
Wis 12 +1
Chr 15 +2

Attack/Defense/Saves: (27 pts)
Base Attack +3
Base Defense +3

Toughness +3 (+4 point Impervious Toughness vs ranged,+3 vs Physical when spinning)
Fort 7 + 3 = 10
Will 9 + 1 = 10
Ref 4 + 2 = 6

Punch Attack +3 att +10 damage
Grapple check +19 att +10 damage
Thrown Object +3 att X+10 damage

Carrying limits: Light 16 tons Medium 32 tons Heavy 50 tons Max 100 tons Push/Drag 250 tons

Skills: (8 pts)
Bluff 3 + 2 = 5
Computers 1 - 1 = 0
Disguise 1 + 2 = 3 (This represents his tiny but growing skill at making a costume)
Drive 1 + 2 = 3
Gather Information 2 + 2 = 4
Intimidate 5 + 2 = 7 (The powers are scary. Roy is not.)
Knowledge -
-Current Events 1 - 1 = 0
-Pop Culture 4 - 1 = 3
-Technology 1 - 1 = 0
Notice 8 + 1 = 9
Perform (stringed) 4 + 2 = 6 (He plays the violin and guitar)
Sense Motive 5 + 1 = 6

Feats: (10 pts)
Fast Overrun
Diehard
Instant Up
Improved Grab
Improved Grapple (He's not really skilled, but when you can juggle cement trucks holding someone with one hand is just not that hard.)
Fearsome Presence 5 (Usually when he's not trying.)

Powers: (75 pts)
4 pts Enhanced Ability (Con +4)
18 pts Enhanced Ability (Str +18)
12 pts Super Strength 6

4 pts Protection 4 (Impervious +1, Limited Ranged -1)
4 pts Immunity (Heat, Cold, High pressure, Vacuume)

2 pts Accurate Hearing
1 pts Danger Sense (Sound)
1 pts Direction Sense
5 pts Mental Awareness (Radius, Extended, Accurate) (He has no idea he has this power, never having met a mentalist.)

12 pts Flight 6
6 pts Burrowing 6 (He hasn't figured out how to do this suite yet, mostly because he hasn't tried)
1 pts -Alternate Power Spinning 3
1 pts -Alternate Power Nauseate 6 (-1 limitation, requires grab)

4 pts Light Control, Extended (This is the red eye beams, so far it only looks like red beams because that's all he's tried. This power factors into his complication btw. His eyes tend to glow when his emotions are up, and it takes concentration to stop them. The color his eyes glow reflect his mood too, making it really easy to read him when he's worked up. I'd suggest a +5 to sense motive checks against him)

Total Points spent : 138 (12 left over)

Potential Complications:
Glowing eyes (as above)
Teenager
Parents
Friends
School
[/sblock]

[sblock=Friends and Family]Roy's friends and family.

The Band

Lisa - 16 5'5" blond hair, green eyes
Lead singer of the band. Roy has had a crush on her for a couple of years now but is too shy to do anything about it. She like to dress barbie dolls in rocker outfits and rides a vespa.

Chad - 17 6'2" Dark hair, brown eyes
Big, gentle, black guy. He plays the keyboard in the band and is the tech geek as well. Probably the smartest of the group he also manages the bands website. Like turtlenecks and Dr. Pepper, drives an ancient and rusty sedan.

Bob - 16 5'4" dark hair, blue eyes
Bob is the short, angry, drummer. He likes to argue for the fun of it, but is a loyal friend. A huge fan of chinese food, he has an old Harly-Davidson sportster he's been working on for 2 years now. It's going to run any day now, he swears it.

Family

Dad - John Ellings is an engineer at a local HVAC plant. He's a private man who tends to be pretty conservative.

Mom - Judy Ellings works as an elementary school teacher, and is active in the community.

Elder brother - John Ellings (jr), 3 yrs older than Roy. He's in the army, currently serving wherever the GM pleases.

Little sister - Amy Ellings is 14 and discovering boys. Roy's protective older brother instincts are starting to kick in.
[/sblock]

Attachments

• Kid Super.jpg
    Kid Super.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 271
Last edited:

Jemal

Adventurer
OK, I'm not going to go all out and number crunch each of your sheets, just looking closely enough to know what your character can do and to see if there's anything I have problems with or need clarified.

Walking Dad
I honestly don't know what I was expecting. I guess I just wasn't expecting it to look so similar to Shayuri's elemental concept.
Right now your character is using shapeshift to do the exact same thing as Shayuri's character is doing via alternate form (At least as far as I can tell)

Perhaps a bit more in the way of explanation of what you want the character to be able to DO would help?

ALSO, what were you looking at for your normal to super transformation? Remember that to qualify for normal identity it has to require an effort and be reasonably stoppable.

Andor
does your toughness BECOME 4 vs ranged, or do you add 4?
Why are spinning and nauseate alternate powers of Burrow?

Considering your proposed background, I don't understand the fearsome presence.
A suggestion for your immunities : Perhaps life support in place of those 4? You have a few points left over and it makes sense for a 'superman' character.
ALSO, I may have an idea for your 'eye beams'. I'll get back to you on it later.

Tailspinner
I've never agreed with/liked the idea of super speed granting insubstantiality, so unless it's a big part of the character concept I'd prefer if you dropped that aspect of the speed.
ALSO.. "Initiative +44"... nice.

Shayuri
I don't quite understand how you have your powers set up..
you have 'elemental control' with no cost, and then each of the seperate elements listed underneath it with "+10", +1, etc beside them. You have the same for alternate powers
Are they all part of an array?
Is the +1 "1 more rank than the base array", or just 1 rank?
Can you control multiple elements at a time?
Are your movement powers tied into your elemental control power at all?
Which element provides your shield?
No Flight? With Air control, I figured flight would be involved

Everyone, please include costs for each of your powers, and whether or not they're part of an array.
Also, anybody who hasn't done so it would be appreciated if you could consolidate your 'combat stats' into some area of your sheet, to make it a little easier for me to see what you're all capable of. (including your standard attack modes with attack bonus and save, your total defense bonus, and your final save modifiers for tough/fort/ref/will).

RE: BACKGROUND
Now that there's several character sheets at least partially completed and we have an idea of what the 'cast' is going to look like, I think it's time to start working on more in depth background.

As far as any of the characters are concerned, these powers are a new thing in the world. Rumours and stories of these things happening have been going around for a couple months, but yours have cropped up just recently. Exact length is up to you, but no more than a few weeks, and none of you have gone public yet (if any of you plan on it that is *wicked grin*)

So far, there's been Two major local media cases of super-powered events :

One week ago it was discovered that a teenager in the downtown Metro area had gained the ability to rapidly grow his body, becoming a veritable giant. A local news crew was able to capture it on film and air it before the boys 'mysterious' dissapearance and the governments insistance that it was an elaborate hoax.

Two nights ago, footage was aired of a man frozen solid just outside a popular club. The footage was taken by several people with cell-phones, who claim that another man had been seen arguing with the victim just before the incident occurred.

Though it's not required, I would LIKE each character to be tied to/personally know at least one other character through your backgrounds.

And last but not least: at this point I'm taking submissions for one character who actually knows a little bit about WTF is going on. If you think it makes sense for your character, please post an Sblock as to why (I have a tendency to not notice PMs which is why I prefer the SBlock method).

Andor

First Post
Andor
does your toughness BECOME 4 vs ranged, or do you add 4?

Add, it's normal Protection, bought with a limitation that it only applies to ranged attacks.

The spinning might also add in, for physical attacks and once he know he can spin like that without puking.

Why are spinning and nauseate alternate powers of Burrow?

They're all the same motion. See any superman cartoon, when he wants to burrow he spins like a top. Nauseate is what happens when you grab someone and spin the really fast. Should a take a limitation on it (requires grab)? What would that be, a -1?

Considering your proposed background, I don't understand the fearsome presence.

It's not that he's particularly scary as a kid with a blanket hanging off his shoulders. It's that when that kid rolls a dumpster up into a baseball bat with his bare hands ... then he's scary.

Basically I always loved prescence attacks in Hero system, and this looked like how to do them in M&M.

A suggestion for your immunities : Perhaps life support in place of those 4? You have a few points left over and it makes sense for a 'superman' character.

It does, but part of my concept is that he's only kinda like superman, but he himself isn't sure where the differences are. So he can survive the vacuum of space just fine, but he doesn't get a free pass on needing to breath. :D

ALSO, I may have an idea for your 'eye beams'. I'll get back to you on it later.

Cool. I'll edit in the power costs on the original post.

Shayuri

First Post
Mein apologies! I suppose I can see how that layout was a bit confusing with the header there...

There's 4 separate arrays, with different values. The label "Elemental Control" is just an organizational thing so it's easier for me to keep it all straight in my head and on the sheet. Here's the breakdown:

Air Control +10, 21pp (base power of Air array)
AP Wind (Windstorm) +5, 1pp (AP from that, as noted in Ultimate Power)

Earth Control +10, 22pp (base power of Earth array)
AP Shape Matter (Earth/Stone only -1, Continuous +1) +5, 1pp (AP from that)
AP Force Field (Impervious) +10, 1pp (Another AP. Sheet has typo that didn't count this point in the total).

Fire Control +6, 13pp (base power in Fire array)
AP Ignite +4, 1pp (AP from that)

Water Control +1, 2pp (Water is least developed...tiny power, and no array yet)

--------------
Are your movement powers tied into your elemental control power at all?

-- They are thematically tied to elemental control, but I wanted free access to them, so they are not part of an array. Plus, my thought is that a given effect might be different elements depending on circumstances. For example, if I fall out of an airplane, Slow Fall could be a powerful updraft. If I fall off Niagra Falls, then Slow Fall might be the water cascading back up at me to set me down gently.

But yes, though the specific element involved may vary according to situation and environment, all super powers are achieved via some kind of manipulation of elemental forces.

Which element provides your shield?

-- Similar to the movement power, this can vary. Bullets could be deflected by a sudden jut of stone that bursts up through the floor. Fire could be blocked by a rush of wind that cuts across, or water erupting from nearby pipes. And so on.

No Flight? With Air control, I figured flight would be involved.

-- I figured I'd work up to Flight. Right now, Slow Fall would most usually represent a control of Air.

------------

Additional notes:

I decided to forego Alternate forms, so Chemico is welcome to shapeshift those things as far as I'm concerned. I decided to focus on elemental control instead.

As far as that goes, do you think it'd be better if I focused more on a single element? Something ubiquitous perhaps, like Earth or Air...so that it'd only be a complication to say I need the element present to use the power...

I really like the Heroes vibe you've got going, but it seems like that style of character often has a pretty specific power. You think this is okay?

Last edited:

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
Here's the write up of Dusk's character sheet. Background wise, before becoming super powered he was a stuntman/thrill seeker type. I;m thinking his motivations for becoming a vigilante might be a result of him witnessing a horrendous crime and deciding to punish the criminal since he saw that nothing was being done about it. In other words, he's more of the hard-boiled noir/pulpish type of vigilante.

DUSK PL10 [150pp]
ABILITIES: 18 pp
STR: 14 (+2) DEX: 18 (+4) CON: 14 (+2) INT 10 (+0) WIS: 12 (+1) CHR: 10 (+1)

SAVING THROWS: 12pp
Toughness: +8/+10 = PROTECTION 6 + 2 CON + Defensive Roll 2
Fortitude: + 6 = BASE 4 + 2 CON
Reflexes: + 8 = BASE 4 + 4 REF
Will: + 5 = BASE 4 + 1 WIS

COMBAT: 12 pp
Damage Bonus: + 2 (unarmed)
Base Attack: +3 ( +4 melee, +6 Shadow Blades, +3 ranged)
Base Defense: +3
Defense: 13 (11 Flatfooted)
Initiative: +4

ATTACKS:
Shadow Blades (full powered): +6 attack, +10 damage
Shadow Blast (full powered): +3 attack, +10 damage
Two-fisted Justice (Unarmed attacks): +4 attack, +2 damage

SKILLS: 48 ranks (12 pp)
Acrobatics 6 (+10),
Climbing 5 (+7),
Concentration 3 (+4),
Drive 3 (+7),
Escape Artist 4 (+8),
Intimidation 3 (+3),
Knowledge: Pop Culture 2 (+2),
Knowledge: Streetwise 2 (+2),
Perform: Acting 3 (+3),
Profession: Stuntman 5 (+6),
Slight of Hand 4 (+4),
Stealth 8 (+12),

FEATS: 11 pp
Acrobatic Bluff,
Attack Focus (melee)
Attack Specialization (Shadow Blades)
Blind Fighting
Diehard
Defensive Roll 2
Fearless
Instant Up
Move by Action
Uncanny Dodge (Hearing)

POWERS: 85 pp
Alternate Form 7 [35pp]: “Shadow Demon”
• Insubstantial 4 [21pp]: PF: Selective
• Concealment 1 [1pp]: Visual; LIMITATIONS: Limited to Shadows/Areas of Low Light, Passive
• Immunity 9 [9pp]: Life Support
• Super movement 1 [2pp]: Slowfall
• Power Feat: Fearsome Presence 2 [2pp]

Darkness Control 10 [39pp]: Obscure (visual); PF: Dynamic; EXTRA: Selective
• DAP: Hood of Shadows: Dazzle 10 [21pp*]: PF: Dynamic; Reversible
• DAP: Shadow Blast 10 [24pp*]: PF: Dynamic; Affects Insubstantial, Indirect 3; Extras: Ranged
• DAP: Shadow Blades 10 [11pp*]: PF: Dynamic, Affects Insubstantial;
• DAP: Shadow Puppetry 10 [24pp*] : PF: Progression 4 (100 ft); Extras: Duration (Sustained); LIMITATIONS: Illusions always appear as “black or shadowy/Smokey shapes”

Shadow Walk: Teleport 1 [3pp]; 100 ft. range; PF: Change Direction, Turnabout; LIMITATIONS: Medium (via Darkness/Shadows)

Protection 6 [5pp]: Reinforced Body Armor; Drawback: Noticeable

Super sense 4 [3pp]: Goggles; Counters Conceal (Visual, LIMITED Lowlight/Darkness); Counters Obscure (Visual, Darkness);

HERO POINTS: 1
COMPLICATIONS: Secret Identity (Jason Gallows),
TRADE OFFS: None

COST SUMMERY:
Abilities 18 pp + Skills 12 pp + Feats 11 pp + Powers 85 pp + Combat 12 pp + Saves 12 pp = 150 pp

* Maximum points that could be placed into power when array is used.

Last edited:

Binder Fred

3 rings to bind them all!
New to the system so bare with me, please. Abilities, powers, combat and saves are done : tell me what you think, everybody!
[SBLOCk="NightShift's Powers"]
(10 PP)
Abilities: STR: 10 [14](+2) DEX: 10 [16](+3) CON: 07 [16](+3) INT: 12(+1) WIS: 15(+2) CHA: 16(+3)
Perceptive old codger with lightning in his veins.

Skills:

Feats:

Powers (82 PP):
"Command Voice": Mind control 5 (Cone Area, Distracting; 10 PP) 2-word shouted commands
"Summoned Weapon" array (3 Alternate Powers; 3 PP):
"Duty Revolver": TK 8 (Damaging extra; 24 PP)
"Flesh Wound": Snare 10 (Transparent extra, +0Will save, Full action; 20 PP)
"Infinite Handcuffs": Snare 12 (Touch Range, Move Action; 24 PP)
"C4": Kinetic Blast 10 (Burst Area, 5 Charges flaw, Affect insubstantial 2, Changeable trigger feat; 24 PP)
"Shift" array (1 Alternate power; 1 PP):
"To Me": Teleport 5 (+0Attack(forcefields, Will save), Mass progression 3(1000lbs), Voice trigger; 14 PP)
"Away!": Teleport 5 (Short range, Change Direction, Change Velocity; 7 PP)
"Not There Anymore Teleport": Shield 7 (7 PP)
"Teleport into costume": Protection 7 (Free action flaw; 4 PP)
"New Youth": Enhanced Abilities (4 str, 6 dex, 9 con; 19 PP)

(12 PP)
Combat: ATTACK 3 [3Base]
DEFENSE 20 [10 + 3Base + 7Shield power] FLATFOOTED 11
INIT +3
MOVE 30(10m)/60(20m)/120(40m) TELEPORT 500(150m)/1000(300m)/2000 or 5 miles

(12 PP)
Saves: TOUGH 10 [0Base + 3con + 7Costume power]
FORT 3 [0Base + 3con]
REF 7 [4Base + 3dex]
WILL 10 [8Base + 2Wis]
[/SBLOCk]EDIT: Left to do : Skills and Feats. Will be done tomorrow, wednesday.

Last edited:

Andor

First Post
Possible chain links to Kid Super.

Depending on how long ago Masterson teaching carrer was Roy might have had a class with him, although from the sound of it they probably had a mutual hatred of each other. :)

Or he might know Nightshift as the grumpy mall cop who is always giving his friend the evil eye in the food court.

Anyone else have a possible link? Roy is pretty limited to high school kind of stuff, although he is in a garage band and they've probably done a couple of local gigs.

renau1g

First Post
Possible chain links to Kid Super.

Depending on how long ago Masterson teaching carrer was Roy might have had a class with him, although from the sound of it they probably had a mutual hatred of each other. :)

That might work out, an interesting connection... I don't think Gordon would hate his students, moreso be envious of them. Now Roy might hate that mean ol' Mister Masterson...

G

Guest 11456

Tailspinner
I've never agreed with/liked the idea of super speed granting insubstantiality, so unless it's a big part of the character concept I'd prefer if you dropped that aspect of the speed.

Replaced insubstantiality with air control.

Shayuri

First Post
Hee...but...air control...

I roffle a bit. Maybe I need to come up with something different. :)

Anyway, the 'mundane' background for my character is the same regardless of powers. College student who's interning at a local paper as a journalist. Journalist interns mainly do brute research work and some copy edit type stuff, but she's hoping to eventually do investigative reporting.

She's a bit cooky, with some conspiracy-minded ideas that she puts forth on a blog under a pseudonym.

Tie ins could be through the university (perhaps the student paper?) or through the paper she's interning at perhaps involving her in some story about strange events...

Remove ads