• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

GBA Strategy Games?

GodPhoenix

First Post
I'm really interested in finding good strategy games for the Game Boy Advance.

So far I've played (and really liked):

Advance Wars
Advance Wars2
Fire Emblem
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance

I'm planning on getting Tactics Ogre

Are there any other really good ones that I should consider getting? Thanks!

trancejeremy

Adventurer
That's about it. There's also Onimusha Tactics, but that's sort of a watered down version of TO and isn't great.

(Obviously, there are probably dozens more in Japan, but they generally don't make it to the US. I'm just glad we got TO and Advance Wars)

Welverin

First Post
trancejeremy said:
(Obviously, there are probably dozens more in Japan, but they generally don't make it to the US. I'm just glad we got TO and Advance Wars)

Well there's no region lockout on the GBA, so if you know Japanese or are willing to work around it (people to make faqs for that purpose), you can buy them from an import store.

GodPhoenix

First Post
Well I was hoping it wouldn't come to that...but I guess I'm willing to learn a smattering of another language for a really good strat. game. Any suggestions on imports to look at?

Is mech platoon a strategy game? (I can't really tell from the box)

Any other strategy games that are in production but not released yet?

trancejeremy

Adventurer
I tried to learn Japanese once (for this very reason). But it's really quite hard, since you not only have to learn different words for things, but also different characters. There really needs to be a Japanese for Video gamers book.

There is sort of an overlap between strategy games (like Advance Wars) and tactical/strategy rpgs (like TO or FFTA or Fire Emblem), because while the latter do have stats like RPGs, they mostly focus on tactical battles.

Anyway, apparently there is a Shining Force game in the works that I know of. Might not get released in the US, though.

Also, there was a Heroes of Might and Magic game for the color gameboy (which can play in the GBA). You might look for that in a used game store.

Mech Platoon is a strategy game, but it's an RTS, which isn't quite my thing.

Welverin

First Post
Ranger REG said:
Not a console fan ("PTUI!!!")

Shut your mouth! Bad mouth consoles, why I oughta...

Do you know of any good RPG I can play on my GBA?

The two Golden Sun games seem to be pretty popular and got good reviews.

Also check the link I posted above to gamefaqs, it will list all of them and have reviews and links to reviews on other sites.

Last edited:

GodPhoenix

First Post
Ranger REG said:
Do you know of any good RPG I can play on my GBA?

Yeah, the two Golden Sun games rock the Casbah. Sword of Mana is also great. Shining Soul 2 (but maybe not Shining Soul 1) is also good. There are others, those are just off the top of my head.

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance and Fire Emblem fall into the strategy with RPG elements category.

So to re-hijack my own thread back to strategy games...does anyone know anything about Wizards from Bits Studios? Or CIMA The Enemy from Natsume?

Last edited:

Remove ads