• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

GenCon files Chapter 11

PatEllis15

First Post
Hrm, well it seems to me that GenCon as a company made a mistake, and vastly underestimated what kind of revenues they could get from SWC IV. The company doesn't have any assets to sell to make up the deficiet, and are really a one trick pony. I'm guessing that they know they have to pay, but that Lucas wants them to pay NOW.

Now, with the lawsuit in the wings, it make sense that Gen Con protect its one asset (Gen Con Indy), so that they CAN actually raise the money to pay off the debt.

If they just go to court today (with out Chapter 11 protection) Gen Con looses, and Gen Con Indy (the LLC's only asset) is transferred to Lucas Film.

Thus the end of Gen Con Indy as we know it, and likely a guarantee that the Make-a-Wish foundation never gets their money

Seems to me that, while unpalitable, this is probably the best course for MaW to get their funds, and for gen Con Indy to move forward year after year.

pat E

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
Relique du Madde said:
I just felt a great disturbance in the forse... as if the voices of millions of gamers all all cried out in horror and were silenced....

Why must Lucas kill everything us geeks hold dear? First Starwars, now gen con.. what next?
Well he did write the screenplay for the new Indiana Jones movie, and his writing skills have been less than stellar as of late...so that might be next.

To be on topic: I'm going to agree and say that so much jumping to conclusion is going on here that we're likely to need a mat. At this point we really don't know what the real story is. Until we get more info (heck, info from Peter) I think it's prudent to adopt a "wait and see" attitude.

From what I've heard about the man, this would be entirely out of character for him. But then I don't really know, so I go under the presumption of innocence. That may not be the standard of evidence for civil courts, but ENWorld is hardly a court, and we're talking about someone who brought a lot of good things to the world of gaming.

So let's give this a little time to develop and see where it goes, m'kay?

--Steve

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Relique du Madde said:
I just felt a great disturbance in the forse... as if the voices of millions of gamers all all cried out in horror and were silenced....

Why must Lucas kill everything us geeks hold dear? First Starwars, now gen con.. what next?

In my (legal) opinion, it is much more likely that GenCon did a bad thing, and Lucas is simply calling them on it in an appropriate manner.

Last edited:

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
Mistwell said:
In my (legal) opinion, it is much more likely that GenCon did a bad thing, and Lucas is simply calling them on it in an appropriate manner.

Yeah, but the part of me that hate's George Lucas likes to overlook that the lawsuit is about Gencon not anting up money it collected for a charity's fund raiser. That way I won't think about the charity cartels from Death to Smoochy.

Last edited:

Remove ads