[Hackmaster] Quest for the Unknown?

Christian

Explorer
ColonelHardisson said:
That's true, but there are at least a couple of off-color monsters in the Hacklopedias - the Groin Leech being one.

The ... the groin leech!? :eek: That's it, I am never taking a treasured PC into this game!

Henry

Autoexreginated
Christian, you should never take ANYTHING you value into Hackmaster.

I would actually encourage non-"old school" (1st Edition) players to play a few games of Hackmaster anyway, with some characters they are willing to lose - it will turn you mentally into a freaking S.E.A.L. after a while, should your character survive. :)

It's like playing WG5: Isle of the Ape every game from first to 20th level. :eek:

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Henry said:
Christian, you should never take ANYTHING you value into Hackmaster.

I would actually encourage non-"old school" (1st Edition) players to play a few games of Hackmaster anyway, with some characters they are willing to lose - it will turn you mentally into a freaking S.E.A.L. after a while, should your character survive. :)

It's like playing WG5: Isle of the Ape every game from first to 20th level. :eek:

Without a doubt, this is the most insightful and accurate summation of HackMaster I've seen. The guys at Kenzer (oops, Hard8) should see this.

Noah Kolman

First Post
To steer things a little back on topic

Hey everyone,

Let me start off by saying that of course, I am biased, but I think that Quest for the Unknown is a great adventure. I would characterize it as a re-vamped version of the old B1. The maps are similar, the plot is similar and the encounters are similar, but not the same. They have been HackMasterized, and an extensive backstory has been added. Some of the characters even show up in B2 Little Keep on the Boderlands, which should be in stores in 3-4 weeks. I would encourage you to check it out.

Hattersai

First Post
And this is why I love Hackmaster.
The company is so involved it makes it contagious.
Besides I like having a non-wuss Bard and lots of Fireball spells.

Okay my spiel is done.

mhensley

First Post
Tsyr said:
Well, I WOULD have recommended Mikeeze Wurld, http://www.geocities.com/mshensley/, but it seems to be semi-defunct.

Just because I don't update it anymore, doesn't mean it isn't worth visiting. A lot of good people sent in a lot of stuff for me to host there and its worth seeing - especially the new monsters.

One of these days, Kenzer will get their Hackmaster Player's Association site running and that should pick up the slack. I offered to do it for them, but oh well... :rolleyes:

I've lost a lot of the interest I had in Hackmaster anyway. Its a very cool system, but I'm afraid that I just don't have the brainpower to run it as written - way too many things for the GM to keep track of. And if you don't run it as written, you might as well just stick to running 1st or 2nd edition AD&D.

Last edited:

Remove ads