Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Soooo, who else ate too much? :D

I'm sitting in my comfy chair beneath a blanket to keep warm with my computer on my lap, cat partly in the way of my mouse, and waiting for my body to digest some of this food piled into my belly. Mmmmm, pie. :)

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Dog_Moon2003 said:
Soooo, who else ate too much? :D

I'm sitting in my comfy chair beneath a blanket to keep warm with my computer on my lap, cat partly in the way of my mouse, and waiting for my body to digest some of this food piled into my belly. Mmmmm, pie. :)
Ooh, ooh, meee, meee!

Then again, I know people whose tradition is to eat all day long. I just can't do that. :uhoh:

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Originally posted by Jdvn1
Then again, I know people whose tradition is to eat all day long. I just can't do that.

What, like snacking all day long or something? I have a friend who's eating at his mother's for lunch and his dad's for dinner, but that's kinda logical. Eating ALL day long, now that's just crazy.

Jdvn1

My guess is that he snacks all day long. But, yeah. Food is out all day, they're always picking at something, I guess.

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
Jdvn1 said:
Ooh, ooh, meee, meee!

Then again, I know people whose tradition is to eat all day long. I just can't do that. :uhoh:
You aren't the only one. I over indulged just a little too. All that pressure in my stomach is good for the air around me that I need to breathe. :uhoh: :confused:

Daijin

First Post
Jdvn1 said:
If nothing else, a deaf social is a good opportunity to practice signing. I'm also slow to make new friends, but my brother is trying to make me go to socials...
Even good lip readers miss a significant portion of conversations, though. My brother lip reads (and speaks) so well some people don't realize he's deaf. He still asks me to explain things, especially when the speaker isn't facing him.

Not that I'm refering to your gaming group. I'm sure you have a system that works well. It's just that when the idea of signing at the D&D table popped into my head, I thought it was a good one. ;)

Yup, I miss alot, but they are the type of players who try their best to make sure i get all of it. I tend to let alot of it slide because i dont need to know every spoken word.

Yeah, system works well, unless there are 8+ or more people at the table, then i have to be a tyrant and control all discussion, which doesnt matter to them, because they have a good time which seems to be the key thing. Most of them have discussed one way or another that maybe they should all learn sign language and we play just using sign language, but it has not happened, mainly becuase of busy schedules and we all live far apart.

It sounds like your friend's lipreading skill is way superior to mine.. :( heheh

Last edited:

Jdvn1

Daijin said:
Yup, I miss alot, but they are the type of players who try their best to make sure i get all of it. I tend to let alot of it slide because i dont need to know every spoken word.

Yeah, system works well, unless there are 8+ or more people at the table, then i have to be a tyrant and control all discussion, which doesnt matter to them, because they have a good time which seems to be the key thing. Most of them have discussed one way or another that maybe they should all learn sign language and we play just using sign language, but it has not happened, mainly becuase of busy schedules and we all live far apart.

It sounds like your friend's lipreading skill is way superior to mine.. :( heheh
Oh, he's my brother. When my parents found out he was deaf (before his first birthday), they worked a lot to make sure he had everything going for him. I was very close to him, too, so we talked a lot. He's a little older than me, but I tried to teach him as much as I could, so I took part of the older brother mentality too. He had tons of languages therapists and tutors and all sorts of things... it's part of the reason my family isn't doing so well now... :uhoh: I think it's amazing everything he's done.

But he still misses a lot. He reads my lips better than anyone else's since he's done it so long, so I can talk to him pretty normally.

ASL is a really useful skill though (I much prefer it to SEE or any other alternative), and at my work and when meeting people, it has come in handy.

For a D&D game, I'd think that speaking while signing would be ideal. My theory is that since ASL is a conceptual language, that a physical reinforcement of the auditory signals will strengthen comprehension. That's actually why I want to learn ASL--to test this theory and to use ASL as a teacher, to better teach students.

Remove ads