Hell's Invasion [Recruiting]

Sezarious

Explorer
Ok, I think that's my skills sorted. You mentioned to hafrogman special features? Or was that to do with his car? Or can I make my spell-book a "Special feature". When I said bard, I sort of just meant a buffer, but ultimately pictured him as a wizard, so i'd like to set him up as one. Except I assume I'm using wisdom as my trait to determine number of spells. Given wisdom is "Above average" for Michael, how should i work out starting spells for his spell-book?

[sblock=Skills]
1d20 - Horseback Riding (includes handle animal for horses)
1d20 - Gather Information (Includes Research)
1d12 - Knowledge Arcane Lore (-3 points)
1d12 - Profession - Actor (-3 points)
1d12 - Persuasion (Includes bluff, Diplomacy and Negotiation) (-3 points)
1d12 - Spell-craft (Will Have by Chapter 1) (-3 points)
1d12 - Stealth (-3 points)
1d20 - Decipher Script & Linguistics (-3 points)
1d30 - Language - Whatever the hell demons are speaking (It's a pun! -1 point for trained)
1d30 - Knowledge - Demonology (-1 point for trained)
1d10 - Magic Trait (-7 Points)

1d12 - Archaic Weapons Skill (-3 points)
1d10 - Firearms Weapon Skill (-7 points)

1d20 - Spell-book (-3 points)

1d20 - Free Cantrip - Read magic
1d20 - Free Cantrip - Mage hand

1d20 - Spell slot (-3 points)

1d20 - Exploit Weakness (-3 points)
1d20 - Additional Attacks (-3 points) [/sblock]

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Ok, I think that's my skills sorted. You mentioned to hafrogman special features? Or was that to do with his car? Or can I make my spell-book a "Special feature". When I said bard, I sort of just meant a buffer, but ultimately pictured him as a wizard, so i'd like to set him up as one. Except I assume I'm using wisdom as my trait to determine number of spells. Given wisdom is "Above average" for Michael, how should i work out starting spells for his spell-book?
Under these rules there are no bonus spells from a Trait. Yes, I was referring to special features for his vehicle, treating them like Special Powers for a Character since he was looking to have a tricked out vehicle. See below for how the Spell Book would work.

[sblock=Spellbooks]Store Spells in Spellbook (Req: Magic & Spellcraft) (d20)
* Contains all Cantrips
* Contains 3 Level 1 Spells: __, __ & __
* Add 1 additional Spell per XP invested. Spells can be only levels available from spell casting slots. (i.e. d10 = add 7 spells)[/sblock]

Re: Additional Attacks, I am wondering where this coming from in explanation. If it is Two-Weapon fighting skill, Rapid Shot Feat, etc… then it is specific situation.

If it would just be second attack due to what would be BAB, then I would say it is not allowed yet since we are shooting for roughly Levels 3-4 in D20 Modern and second attacks from BAB typically come much later in the game around levels 6-8 depending on classes.

Re: Rules:
Originally I was looking at a homebrew conversion of d20 rules to a really lite system (The Window) to make things simple and focus on the role-playing over mechanics. I have a few games already using them on other sites that work well.

However, trying to explain everything and getting folks on board comes with some challenges. And the conversions might feel complicated to new folks.

I am rethinking this after exploring some alternate rule sets. Have any of you all ever tried Savage Worlds? I have been looking through things and I like what I have read so far. It might a happy medium, some similarities to d20, but streamlined and it has a bit more tested structure than my homebrew stuff. It is designed to be genre generic like The Window, but they also have setting specific supplements too. There are quick starter rules available for free as well, since they don’t have an SRD or OGL.

Sezarious

Explorer
I think it can be tricky explaining any new system to players, but PBP makes it more difficult. Me playing a mage complicates things a little bit too. I can't say I've played savage worlds before, though I'm happy to read the SRD if you like?

No worries about additional attack, I was jut going to take it rather than double tap, because Michael has tried firing bursts a couple of times. Are you ok with Double tap? If not, I'll go with Improved aid another.

For now I'll pick the spells: Protection from evil, Comprehend Languages, Magic Missile

Is there anything else I need to do?

Shayuri

First Post
Okay, I'm back. Many apologies...I expected to be able to access Enworld from where I was headed for Thanksgiving, but that turned out not to be a thing that happened.

I need to do a lot of catching up, but I am on the job if you'll have me.

perrinmiller

Adventurer
It looks quite good. Do you want to make the transition to it or you're not sure yet? It's an interesting system certainly.
I was going to at least wait for the other two to chime in on the subject.

I am still looking through the Savage World rules, which takes time as I am reading through them. I like what I have read so far and my initial impression is that I can use them by selectively cutting a few out to make it rules lite. All along I was going to avoid dependence on tactical maps, reduce initiative to “You vs. Them”, and probably skip tracking encumbrance (as long as players police themselves).

Okay, I'm back. Many apologies...I expected to be able to access Enworld from where I was headed for Thanksgiving, but that turned out not to be a thing that happened.

I need to do a lot of catching up, but I am on the job if you'll have me.
No worries. I have brought up the subject of using Savage Worlds for this campaign.

perrinmiller

Adventurer
I'd be good with that! I happen to have the rules handy and errything. :)
That is good.
[MENTION=8858]hafrogman[/MENTION]; what about you? Have you experience or interest in Savage Worlds if we switch from this homebrew conversion to something more structured and published?

hafrogman said:
1d30 is the first level of training. What comes before that? 1d100?
d30 is the worst dice to roll as default for trying do something that would not require training at all. A trained skill (such as a knowledge skill) you just would not even get to roll a dice to make an attempt. However this issue could become moot. ;)

hafrogman

Adventurer
[MENTION=8858]hafrogman[/MENTION]; what about you? Have you experience or interest in Savage Worlds if we switch from this homebrew conversion to something more structured and published?
I think I skimmed through the book once, but I have no actual experience with it. If I remember correctly, it was a little similar to the Cortex Plus system that the Firefly RPG uses. That I have played.

Ultimately I suppose it doesn't matter much to me. I went in to this assuming I wouldn't know much about the system.

Remove ads