Help me build an 11th level ranger (please)

aurance

Explorer
So many options...the more I study the Ranger, the more confused I become. A few things have become (somewhat) clear, though:

***I would prefer to make a "Classic 4E" Ranger - not Essentials. I'm not sure exactly why; I think it is mainly because I've been DMing Classic 4E for a couple years and want to play a character with all the powers and such.
***Fighting Styles/Paragon Paths - I was tempted to go with Two-Blade but I'm thinking that it is unnecessary with Twin Strike, yes? So I can either go Hunter - Sharpshooter or Archer - Battlefield Archer. I'm veering a bit towards Sharpshooter, although mainly because I like Hunter slightly better than Archer.
***There are a few feats that seem like no-brainers: Master of Arms (why ever take Expertise again?), Superior Weapon (Greatbow), Weapon Focus (Bow), probably Weapon Focus (Light Blades). That gives me a couple to fiddle around with...I'm thinking Lethal Hunter, Paragon Defenses, maybe Toughness or Superior Will.
***When all is said and done, I can see why some say that using melee weapons ceases to make mechanical sense. Still, I'm envisioning a kind of "crazy Legolas" type. Imagine Legolas if his entire family and clan was slaughtered and he became a kind of accursed wanderer...Unaligned and a bit reckless. That's what I'm going for. So I can see charging into battle with two shortswords just for the fun of it, even if I won't be getting the nasty damage I'd be getting from a magical greatbow. So given all of the above, I'm still looking for ways to tweak the melee to make it worthwhile.

As a point of clarification, we roll ability scores - 4d6 x 6, roll two sets, take the best one - so I'm not faced with a strict array. You get pretty good results that way. I started with 18, 17, 15, 14, 11, 11, and boosted those up to 20 STR, 15 CON, 23 DEX, 12 INT, 18 WIS, 12 CHA.

Those ability scores make this exercise a whole new ball game. In that case, I'd recommend Archer->Battle Archer, but keep raising Strength and Dexterity to be competent at both melee and ranged. I think you've got a high enough Wisdom for archery riders without needing to raise it again.

Fighting Styles/Paragon Paths - I was tempted to go with Two-Blade but I'm thinking that it is unnecessary with Twin Strike, yes? So I can either go Hunter - Sharpshooter or Archer - Battlefield Archer. I'm veering a bit towards Sharpshooter, although mainly because I like Hunter slightly better than Archer.

With new information this is unnecessary. See below.

***There are a few feats that seem like no-brainers: Master of Arms (why ever take Expertise again?),

Because you want Light Blade Expertise instead?

Superior Weapon (Greatbow), Weapon Focus (Bow),

Yup.

probably Weapon Focus (Light Blades).

Less necessary.

That gives me a couple to fiddle around with...I'm thinking Lethal Hunter, Paragon Defenses, maybe Toughness or Superior Will.

See below for my recommendations - but you still have some to fiddle around with.

As a point of clarification, we roll ability scores - 4d6 x 6, roll two sets, take the best one - so I'm not faced with a strict array. You get pretty good results that way. I started with 18, 17, 15, 14, 11, 11, and boosted those up to 20 STR, 15 CON, 23 DEX, 12 INT, 18 WIS, 12 CHA.

Then ignore everything anyone said about needing dex based melee. With a strength like that you'll be fine with Twin Strike. Better with the bow than your shortswords, but just fine with the shortswords.

Required feats:
1: Weaponmaster
2: Weapon Proficiency: Greatbow
4: Weapon Focus: Bow
6: Open
8: Open
10 - retrain at 11 for a Paragon feat.

For your two paragon feats, I recommend two based round your Prime Shot ability - the first (Prime Punisher) allows you to use Prime Shot in melee for +1 to hit. The second (I forget its name) gives +5 to damage against your prime shot target meaning those two feats give you +1 to hit and +5 damage on all your melee attacks (makes Weapon Focus seem ... weak), and +5 damage on some of your ranged.

For your two heroic feats, you can't go wrong with Weapon Focus: Light Blades, and Improved Defences or Superior Will. But my recommendation is tricksier than that - there's a feat that allows you to trade in one dice of quarry to slow your target. And World Serpent's Grasp which allows you to knock prone a slowed target that you hit. Hit with both attacks of the twin strike (or just the person you hit last time) and they go prone.

Encounters: L1: Fox's Retreat. It's an interrupt - therefore it's an extra arrow.
L3: Disruptive Strike. See above.
L7: You want either a minor or an interrupt melee attack here. There are a few str based ones.

Dailies:
L1: Commanding Confrontation. A 3[w] arrow attack to give you a boost to your melee damage against the target. Right up your street.
L5: Close Combat Shot. An extra 3[W] arrow when you find yourself on the front lines. (Some people prefer Spitting Cobra stance - but with three ranged interrupts already you don't need it - you'll seldom have time for more than four interrupts in a fight).
L9: Not sure

Herschel

Adventurer
With that stat array I wouldn't bother with Weapon Focus (Bow), although at Papagon I suppose it might come up once in a while. If there's stuff you'd rather take for flavor reasons I really don't think you'd miss the focus feat much at all.

Mercurius

Legend
Because you want Light Blade Expertise instead?

Maybe I'm missing something, but doesn't Master at Arms include Expertise? Maybe I'm not getting Master at Arms, but it seems like it gives expertise to ALL weapon attacks, while Expertise only gives it to a single weapon group or superior weapon? Or do they stack?

Required feats:
1: Weaponmaster
2: Weapon Proficiency: Greatbow
4: Weapon Focus: Bow
6: Open
8: Open
10 - retrain at 11 for a Paragon feat.

I can't seem to find Weaponmaster. Does it have another name?

I'll check out your other suggestions in greater depth. Thanks!

Maybe I'm missing something, but doesn't Master at Arms include Expertise? Maybe I'm not getting Master at Arms, but it seems like it gives expertise to ALL weapon attacks, while Expertise only gives it to a single weapon group or superior weapon? Or do they stack?

All the Essentials Expertise feats have a kicker - makes them less of a feat tax even if it makes them overpowered. Master at Arms is the general one and gives +1 to hit/tier with all weapons and a quick swap of weapons.

Light Blade Expertise on the other hand gives +1 to hit/tier with light blades only. But it also gives +1 to damage/tier when you have combat advantage. Which means it's a really good feat for a rogue and anyone else just using light blades. (Staff Expertise allows reach on melee staff attacks and prevents opportunity attacks if you are using a staff implement - if a staff is your weapon it beats Master at Arms).

I can't seem to find Weaponmaster. Does it have another name?

I meant Master at Arms. Doh!

Mercurius

Legend
OK, thanks. Now I assume that the +1 to hit/tier doesn't stack with Master of Arms and Light Blade Expertise as they are both feat enhancements? If not, it wouldn't make much sense to spend a feat on Expertise. I'd rather have something like Toughness and have 10 extra HP.

mneme

Explorer
Mercurious: nope. But the +1/tier damage -does- stack with Weapon Focus (Light Blades). But you're basically taking it, or not, as a +2 damage feat, not a +1/tier to hit feat.

Mercurius

Legend
OK, so I've got a basic template for a character. I'm not set on the feats and powers, but let me show you what I've got and feel free to tear me apart.

One area I need help is magic items. For creating higher level characters we use the standard rule of three items, one level below, one of the same level, and one of a higher level, plus GP equivalent to one level lower. But we translate all of that into GP and use that number to buy magic items. So as an 11th level character, my ranger would have the equivallent of 10, 10, 11, and 12th level magic items, which equals 32,000 GP.

Anyhow, here's the character (so far)

11th level Elf Ranger
ABILITIES:
STR 20, CON 15, DEX 23, INT 12, WIS 18, CHA 12
AC/Defenses: Still to be determined
HP: 87

SKILLS (Trained): Athletics, Dungeoneering, Nature, Perception, Stealth.Ranger Feature: Prime Shot
Fighting Style: Hunter
Paragon Path: Sharpshooter

FEATS: Quick Draw, Master at Arms, Weapon Focus (Bow), Weapon Prof (Greatbow), Toughness, Lethal Hunter, Superior Will, Called Shot

POWERS
At-Will: Fading Strike, Twin Strike
Encounter: Evasive Strike, Disruptive Strike, Spikes of the Manticore
Daily: Commanding Strike, Close-Combat Shot, Attacks on the Run
Utility: Safe Passage, Step of Morning Mist, Defensive Volley

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------.

So any ideas? Feel free to suggest alternate feats or powers.

Looking over the character, I see someone heavily oriented towards the bow - which is fine - but I'd like to have one or two melee tricks up my sleeve. Any ideas for that?

In this configuration I opted for Hunter/Sharpshooter, although am still thinking about Archer/Battlefield Archer. Feel free to try to convince me of the latter ;).

Last edited:

bganon

Explorer
I might replace Spikes of the Manticore with Hawk's Talon - it gives you another dual-use power and with your ability scores you can abuse the Wis bonus. Then between that and Evasive Strike you've got at least two rounds every encounter where you have a good melee option (at level 11 at-wills might not see so much use, though Twin Strike is always good).

As far as items, I'm not really up on weapon optimization, but at level 11 you're in a bit of a tough spot. You need three magic weapons, and you might like level 11 weapons for the +3 bonus, but that means spending 27,000 gp just for stuff with vanilla enchantments. Starting out, I'd be tempted to stick with a nice +2 bow (since your Dex is very high anyway) to save money. You might also look at Paired shortswords; as an enchantment it kinda sucks but it'll save you some more starting money which you can invest in other items that'll scale better. You're going to replace weapons/armor/neck items pretty regularly as you level, but some other slots can be good for an entire tier.

Remove ads