• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Here there be Dragons [Closed]

Dharuhk Svahre

First Post
Alright, sorry it took so long to make my character. I've been playing alot of 3.5 recently and had to do a quick refresher on 4th ed.

Mary, level 1
DESCRIPTION
Female Eladrin, Height 5'6", Weight 133 lbs, Hair Black, Eyes Green, Skin White, Alignment Unaligned, Diety None
FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 14, Con 9, Dex 18, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 16.
STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 14, Con 9, Dex 16, Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 16.

AC: 16 Fort: 12 Reflex: 16 Will: 14
HP: 21 Surges: 5 Surge Value: 5
TRAINED SKILLS
Bluff +8, Streetwise +8, Insight +5, Perception +5, Stealth +9, Thievery +9, Diplomacy +8, History +7
UNTRAINED SKILLS
Endurance -1, Arcana +2, , Heal 0, Intimidate +3, Nature +0, Religion +0, Acrobatics +3, Athletics +2, Dungeoneering +3
FEATS
Level 1: Pact Initiate (History)
POWERS
at-will 1: Sly Flourish, Deft Strike
encounter 1: Dazing Strike, Eyebite (Pact Initiate)
daily 1: Blinding Barrage
RACIAL TRAITS
Eladrin Education (Diplomacy), Fey Step, Low-light Vision, Eladrin Weapon Proficiency
CLASS FEATURES
Brutal Scoundrel
ITEMS
Leather Armor, Dagger (x10), Thieve's Tools, Adventuring Kit, Lantern

Background:
Mary lived most of her life as a personal attendant for a prominent dragonlord, though back then she was known as Rose. She was picked out as a young age due to her beauty and her long flowing red hair that her lord strangely became obsessed with. She was selected to be by his side nearly all the time. Such responsibility required her to study and learn the culture and traditions of high class society, and also afforded her the chance to dabble in the arcane arts.
She longed for freedom however, and used what short time she had away from her master to practice in methods to escape, such as lockipicking, stealth, and swordsmanship. Eventually, she found her chance and slipped away from the clutches of her master. Using her skills gained as an attendant, she was able to blend seamlessly into society even being of an enslaved race. She soon found that freedom was not as easy to keep as it was to get. The enraged dragon sent hunting parties after her.
For years she had managed to elude the hunters, changing her appearance, coloring her hair black and cutting it short, assuming a new name. But they were always one step behind, and getting closer. Not confident in her ability to ultimatly escape, she devised plan to break into a slave caravan and blend into the masses as they travelled far away in hopes the trick would throw off her pursuers. Once they reached their destination, she would employ her skills to make good her escape and once again regain her freedom.

Let me know if there are any problems with her backstory. Also I know we have no starting gear, but because she slipped in with the intentions of escaping I was wondering if she could have a concealed dagger?

Last edited:

Almightyfoon

First Post
I was hoping that AF might help with that. I'm happy to be told in that respect.

This is shaping up to be quite a team!

The dragons have ruled the world from beyond living memories, The exact train that the story is focusing on is moving between cities (Between the Tyranny of Storms and the Tyranny of the Lost territories) so it will consist of new slaves and newly sold slaves. Its headed to market in Passage, so that is really up to you. I'll post my write up on the various Tyrannies.

to the DM

i was wondering that as a secret language can i create a form of sign language that i used to communicate with the various shopkeepers in my employ. i also taught it to a select group of fellow slaves to help plan a rebellion against the dragon overlords.

Thats fine, if memory serves, that would be an application of the bluff skill. Misdirection and what not, and your trained in it so thats perfectly fine. I mean technically it'd be the old sleight of hand which is rolled into thievery, but that doesn't make any damn sense to me.

Let me know if there are any problems with her backstory. Also I know we have no starting gear, but because she slipped in with the intentions of escaping I was wondering if she could have a concealed dagger?

Keeping it would be difficult as the slavers have kept the slaves whipped and beat good to prevent escape. Getting into the caravan with a dagger would be exceedingly difficult as the slavers obviously don't care much for personal space and the only place to slip in would be in one of the cities during one of the sales. Getting a dagger later I wouldn't be against, but having one on you would not be a very smart idea, unless you want to be severely beaten.

Very good character concepts you guys. I'll post up some more information by tonight and when your ready for final character submission just PM me the info and we'll get started.

Last edited:

Stacie GmrGrl

Adventurer
Aurora - Shifter Druid level 1 (Shifter +2 Dex, +2 Wis)
Original scores: 16, 14, 14, 12, 11, 8
Str: 11 +1
Con: 14 +2
Dex: 16 +3
Int: 12 +1
Wis: 18 +4
Cha: 8 -1

Class Features: Wild Shape, Primal Aspect – Primal Swarm, Ritual Casting Feat, Balance of Nature, Hunter's Quarry 1/encounter
Race Features: Razorclaw shifting, +2 acrobatics, +2 stealth

Powers:
At-Will – Wild Shape, Swarming Locusts (beast), Fire Hawk, Pounce (beast)
Encounter – Scattered Form (beast)
Daily – Fog of Insects

Feats:
level 1 – Ritual Casting (bonus)
level 1 – Warrior of the Wild (Ranger MC feat - gain Stealth Trained and Hunters Quarry 1/encounter)

HP: 12 + Con = 26
Bloodied: 13
Surge: 7
Surges/day: 9

Skills Trained: Nature +9, Arcana +6, Endurance +7, Perception +9, Stealth +10

Defenses:
AC: 16 =10+ 3 + 3
Fort: 12 =10+ 0 + 2
Ref: 14 =10+ 1 + 3
Will: 15 =10+ 1 + 4

Armor: Cloth, Leather, Hide
Weapon Prof: Simple melee, simple range
Implements: Totem, staff
Defense bonus: +1 Ref, +1 Will

Gear:
Hide Armor - +3 AC, Check Penalty -1 30gp
Quarterstaff - +2 prof, 1d8 + 1 for basic attack 5 gp
Standard Adventuring Kit – 15 gp
Totem – 5gp
Ritual Book - free

Ritual Book and Rituals:
Animal Messenger
Silence

Character Notes and Build Design:
Most of the stuff I've picked is from the Primal Power book. Using the Primal Swarm, her Wild shape is what looks like a viscous panther from a distance, but an ugly one...it looks like she is covered with small moving creatures, flees, bugs, etc. When you get closer, she is a panther made up of hundreds and hundreds of tiny bugs that is taking the form of a panther/large kitty. All kinds of insects swarmed together... beetles, flys, crickets, bugs of all kinds and varieties. A dauntless amount of chitin, stingers and mandibles

Even when not wild shaped, she has some bugs buzzing around her. She can't help it, they love her. :)

What do you think?

Last edited:

Dharuhk Svahre

First Post
Mary is a rogue, which grants her stealth, theivery and four more, as well as an eladrin which grants her an additional one of her choice, then she has the Pact Initiate feat which allows her to take a skill from the warlock list. 8 trained skills.

Btw, as for the dagger I was hoping for something like a compartment in a shoe or something along those lines. Not easily accessable for quick combat but capable of being extracted when the time comes to escape. She does have all the applicable skills for such a task, thievery to rig the shoe, as well as the knowledge of how much the slave keepers would be paying attention, where and how they would check for contraband, and the bluff/diplomacy social skills to weasel her way out of getting caught. As well it doesn't need to take the form of a normal well crafted dagger and could be more like a sharpened prison shank if you know what I mean.

But if you don't want me to have one to start, its fine too.

P.S. if there is a problem with us not having shoes, they were just an example, a hidden pocket done just right on rags would be an ideal place for a weapon, or having a sheath hidden in the hair are other examples.

Last edited:

Stacie GmrGrl

Adventurer
Mary is a rogue, which grants her stealth, theivery and four more, as well as an eladrin which grants her an additional one of her choice, then she has the Pact Initiate feat which allows her to take a skill from the warlock list. 8 trained skills.

Btw, as for the dagger I was hoping for something like a compartment in a shoe or something along those lines. Not easily accessable for quick combat but capable of being extracted when the time comes to escape. She does have all the applicable skills for such a task, thievery to rig the shoe, as well as the knowledge of how much the slave keepers would be paying attention, where and how they would check for contraband, and the bluff/diplomacy social skills to weasel her way out of getting caught. As well it doesn't need to take the form of a normal well crafted dagger and could be more like a sharpened prison shank if you know what I mean.

But if you don't want me to have one to start, its fine too.

P.S. if there is a problem with us not having shoes, they were just an example, a hidden pocket done just right on rags would be an ideal place for a weapon, or having a sheath hidden in the hair are other examples.

Cool. :) I like the character.

Almightyfoon

First Post
As promised, the list of Tyrannies

Tyranny of Storms
Primary Flight: Blue
Role: Merchants

Tyranny of Flames
Primary Flight: Red
Role: Guards of the Black Sheath Mountains

Tyranny of Wastes
Primary Flight: Gray
Role: Law Keepers of the Land

Tyranny of Stone
Primary Flight: Purple
Role: Miners

Tyranny of Rime
Primary Flight: White
Role: Miners

Tyranny of the Lost
Primary Flight: Green
Role: Bounty Hunters

Tyranny of the Fallen
Primary Flight: Black
Role: Unknown

Tyranny of Ashes
Primary Flight: Brown
Role: Guardians of the Shatters

Let me see if I can get that map worked out. Piratecat posted up a hex mapper that should work.

Stacie GmrGrl

Adventurer
What do the different tyrannies mean, as well as the roles?

Can you post the hex mapper on here? I need a decent map program for the upcoming online game that I somehow got convinced to run. :)

Almightyfoon

First Post
What do the different tyrannies mean, as well as the roles?

Can you post the hex mapper on here? I need a decent map program for the upcoming online game that I somehow got convinced to run. :)

Yeah, heres the mapper. As for the Tyrannies, the Tyranny of XXX, is the name of the Tyranny, the role is what they do in the world ie. The Tyranny of Storms are the Merchant kings of the Dragons, thus the role of Merchants. The slave caravan you are in is primarily run by the Tyranny of Storms.

Each of the Tyrannies has a Primary flight which will determine the type of dragon makes up the bulk of it draconic members. The Tyrannies are not all dragons, Dragonborn, Kobolds, Dragonspawn and Lizardfolk make up the bulk of their day to day membership. There are even 'lesser races' (humans, dwarves, elves, etc.) that swear fealty to the Tyrannies, but they are usually nothing more than liasons to others of their kind at best, and at worst expendable messengers.

Dharuhk Svahre

First Post
Cool. :) I like the character.

thanks, your shifter is really interesting too. :)

I will make a suggestion to you if you'll hear me out. Feel free to ignore this if you plan on multiclassing or believe this doesn't fit with your character concept, however I noticed you took the skill training feat for stealth. If you took the multiclass feat Warrior of the Wild, you would in fact gain the exact same benefit, Stealth as a trained skill, and in addition get hunter's quarry as an encounter power. I don't know if you're interested or not, I just thought I'd mention.

Also, sappire07, I have a bit of advice for you as well. Your original stats had you with an 18 dex and a 14 cha and then you spent your human bonus on cha. If you went with a dex of 16 and a cha of 16, you would gain 3 more points to spend on your other stats, and then you apply the human bonus to make the dex 18 again. Works out the same for dex and cha, and better for your other scores.

Last edited:

Remove ads