Hey guys

Malachei

First Post
Thanks, Myth, for your understanding.

Regarding Pathfinder: I think it has some nice improvements. I like the faster feat progression and condensed skills, which I have adapted to my homebrew section. I think you can easily find tons of reviews here or on other sites which add a lot of information on what are generally seen as the benefits / strengths of PF. If you want to compare, look at the PF SRD: http://d20pfsrd.com/

I would have switched to Pathfinder, if not for a few other aspects I don't like so much. I know many actually appreciate sticking to a class, but I liked the Prestige Classes of 3rd Edition, so creating incentives to stay in a class for 20 levels is somehow giving me a tough choice to make. Also, I miss Tome of Battle aspects, as well as Tome of Magic. I think PF would greatly benefit from adding ToB classes. The Fighter has improved, perhaps not as much as some other classes (Rogue). My issue, however, with the Fighter, remains unsolved... I just prefer a different mechanic with a flexible set of options, and the ToB classes give me this. So, while a think the PF Fighter is a good class, in my games, I'd still mostly use it to build NPCs. Personally, I'd probably not consider playing a PF Fighter.

Balance: Some of Pathfinder's material is grossly unbalanced (Summoner... most of the recent supplements), so you can't really say that balance issues have been fixed. I also think it is impossible to fix them, and every game has to find its own balance, whether 3rd Edition or PF -- potentially using sets of houserules. Some spell changes strike me as a bit casual, with some issues fixed but others not addressed. I'd rather have 3.5 spells (and houserule issues), because I feel with PF, I have to review the whole material again.

Last edited:

rangerjohn

Explorer
My annoyance with PF comes from it being a 3rd party thing. Essentially I have to take someone's homebrewing for canon. What makes the guys oer at Paizo better at deciding what's what than, say, some internet board somewhere?

I'd say mostly nothing as even in PF Wizards and Clerics still reign supreme, even with the reducitons to their spells.

I like some Monk fixes I've seen mentioned in GITP however, though the easiest is just taking Unarmed Swordsage.

How has Pathfinder done justice to the Figher? Does the class actually get some class features there?

The problem is its all basically 3rd party at this point. TSR and all original creators are literally dead at this point. The only thing Wizards has at this point, that the others don't is the liscence. Especially considering some of the people who now work for Paizo, worked for Wizards at the time of 3.0.

Zerith

First Post
I mean basically back to back style; I might even make it into a class; were you occupy the same area as the guy you're defending. redirects negative things (in general) that are aimed at your principle while also making them take 50% less AoE damage (down to 25% if they make their saves, if allowed to do so for half damage)

Hmmm :3
Yesh, I'm liking the idea

Also, from what I see, fighters will rip your face off if you annoy them at high level, and they get to you. they've got a lot of class features now, their not just a long list of random bonus feats. minde you, they still get a lot of bonus feats, their is just more to them now.

Heck, their are like 6 types of fighters, or any base class for that matter o_O;
as for it being a glorified home-brew, so what? its generally an improvement from what I've seen and one of the main reason humans did not get played before is now gone: they can start out with a stat at 20 (all other races also got a +2 boost, thus keeping game balance)

As for other changes, scorers and wizards look like different class now. Sorcs get oodles of bloodline powers related to their arcane heritage and wizards, are kinda boring by comparison, while a draconic sorcerer have scaly hides, can grow claws, wings, and breath fire, the wizard gets a few bonus feats. this said, I think the wizard is more spell focused. (Also, most sorcerer's don't have a pet any more T_T)

Also, low level powers/ability, regardless of class, scale with level making them as useful at level 1 as they are at level 20 :D
Another reason why I think it can stand up as a platform is that it's so widely accepted; if so many people who would just stick to 3.5 are picking it up that it is thriving it must be doing something right.

This said, i like things about both, 3.5 has more to work with while PF has the future to work with and expand into ;)

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
I really like Pathfinder. It may be third party, but that doesn't mean it's not quality. Paizo seems to take game design seriously, with playtests and so on, which is all I really ask from a game designer...be it Wizards, or a third party.

I won't say it's perfect. The flaws of 3.5 are still lurking in Pathfinder...mitigated in many cases, but still there. But it's fun. My only complaint is that the books are pricey. They're excellent...but pricey.

That said, I've no problem with sticking to 3.5 either. I saved all these books for -something-, right? :)

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
Sorry to have caused this side trek Myth and Legend.

Wow.

A lot of what has been said mirrors what I like about it, however, I need to get out the door to a service call and can't quite opine on it yet.

Myth and Legend

First Post
I think the best course of action is to continue the story, but allow those who want to roll new characters the chance to do so. (BTW the PF discussion is intereting for me, so no worries)

We can use all the old threads, thus avoiding confusion and missing information already published. Feel free to post there, or read up. Now, when a character is ready for review, please signal me so I can do so.

Those who are brand new to the story I can write in where they don't know too much (and I'll summarize what they know so far in their intro post). So it is not mandatory to read everything that happened (though it's certinly not bad. And there are some interesting things and good RPing)

ATM the situation is that a scouting party for the main group was sent out. An Elven Incantatrix, a Halfling Incarnate, a Half-Orc barbarian and a Human Paladin (NPC) who also holds some power amongst the so called crusaders. Currently the Paladin is dead and the others face some strange lumbering monstrocity in a barnhouse.

It would be best to have the rest of the PCs come as reinforcements from the main army and finihs the fight with them, whilst I (not so subtly) remove those PCs who will no longer be played.

Zerith

First Post
hmmm, given that context, how to just have Zinerath come from the army and have it make sense. even if he managed to prove that he was not evil to those 'who matter', he would either have to keep his hat on at all times and never get it knocked off* or have something on him to pout others at ease: is their a caller or something that can pervent evil things from being evil and are only manipulatable by none evil beings? preferably something that would do nothing to, or for, Zinerath (do to him not being 'evil') but at the same time also putting the crusaders at ease.

*While the hat is simplest option, it's also not very viable, to be valid it means he has managed to sleep with it on, for who knows how long, without it falling off his head as he sleeps, and he tosses and terns a lot; Zinerath is plagued by nightmares. Alternatively he could just brake off from the group, and then sleep on his own, this brings its own dangers, one: he can be easly set apon by the enamyes be the crusaders, and two, if a crusader happens onto him as he sleeps they might kill first then ask why a devil spawn was napping so close to their camp. their two massive and unneeded risks if you ask me.
[while someone who wishes to hide what they are might be willing to take the risk, Zinerath dos not mind what he is at all, but he does like his hat, because it's handy to not be arbitrarily attacked]

Anyways, if there is no item that you know of that fits the bill, could I make one that alines to the soul of its intended wearer and, if their evil, bind them to obey the one who bound the item to the individual in question (and to prevent any temptation to abuse said item later, make it only be alienable once, thus rendering it as basically a really shiny and worthless collar for all intens and perpuses.)

Myth and Legend

First Post
Paladins have Detect Evil at will, and Ferviel has a permanent True Sight on his person. There are other things as well. I'll take care of it, don't worry.

Remove ads