HM's Temple of Elemental Evil (1e) - IC

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Gathering their gear the group heads out of the inn bound for the only tower in Hommlet.

Following the main road leads pass several other large buildings and to a wooden plank bridge that crosses a recently dug dry moat.

Two-Story Tower said:
This structure is some 55 feet tall, a smaller tower rising inside the greater at about 35 feet above the ground. Its entrance is accessible only by going up a curving flight of stone stairs which terminate in a landing about 10 feet above the ground. The outer door of the tower lowers to form a bridge to the stone landing. There are numbers of arrow slits around the tower, and it has a splay around the base to about 6 feet in height.

The lower and upper battlements are machicolated, the merlons being pierced for archery as well. Two men-at-arms watch from its roof.

The door lowers as the group make their way up the steps and a lone guard comes out to stand on it.

two-storiedtower.jpg

"Greetings to the tower of Rufus and Burne. Please state your names and business here." he says a little gruffly.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
"Veerdunn Glootneir, We wish to have audience with their excellencies, *ahem*please"
Veerdun looks pained as he politely states his intent.

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
The guard eyes Sasho, but the gnome just grins.

"This way," he states turning to enter the tower.

The guard leads you across the thick iron-bound plank that serves as a small drawbridge to an inner iron door. After he pounds on it once, and while it slowly opens the group notices that the entrance way is flanked by shuttered arrow slits and two murder holes in the ceiling.

'Impressive' is one word that comes to mind when looking on the defenses.

Inside the main circular hall has two enormous fireplace to either side of the entrance and enough tables, benches, and stools to set forty people comfortably.

"Wait here," the guard says indicating a table and benches, before moving to a ramp leading up.

It is only a couple minutes when he returns followed by a young human wearing olive green robes and an odd conical hat that is flat at the top. The robed man thanks the guard, who returns to his station outside.

"Greetings. I am Burne, the Warlock of Hommlet." he says with a slight half bow. "Please sit, sit. My servants will bring us a bit of wine, or ale if you prefer Veerdunn Glootneir," he says with a nod to the dwarf.

Taking a spot on a bench across from you he sits with his hands clased before him on the table. "Now. What can I do for a few fellow heroes?" He asks with a grin.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
The dwarf uses typical dwarvin diplomacy-straight to the point, "Without oranges in my ale, Please. We have heard of bandits in the area and would like to help the village by gittin rid of th pests. We are wantin' to do so on a couple'a terms. First, with the blessin of th local lords, and second with mutual benefit."

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
"Ah the bandits," Burne says as he looks over the small group. "They have been a thorn in the communities side lately."

Pausing as the drinks are brought the wizard nods to his servant and then continues, "I've heard of a few attacks against caravans bound for Hommlet, the latest was a shipment of wood for the wainwright and carpenter." He takes a sip of wine from his goblet, his youthful looks and appreitation for the strong red are at odds with the typical wizards told of in tales.

"There is little to do if you go after these bandits now. Oh, I have no doubt they must be dealt with eventually, but perhaps you could help Hommlet in a more immediate way now."

He places his goblet down half empty and calls for a servant to bring him his maps. A few minutes later a map of Hommlet and the roads north is laid out on the table.

"Take this wood crisis for instance. They're wouldn't be a need for wood shipments if the Deklo Grove wasn't so infested by humanoids and vermin." He places a small gem on a spot northwest of Hommlet. "But if a few heroes were to take and explore the grove, take the days that I don't have to devote in making it safe for the woodsmen once more, then the whole town would benefit..."

He places two more gems on the map and continues, "... and so would they."

[sblock=OOC] Don't mean to railroad but I thought a smaller adventure and maybe a level up would be better than jumping right into the moathouse.

You could tell Burne you just want to learn where the moathouse is since the map is on the table - (going to add that soon as I make one btw) and then pick and chose your destination as a group.[/sblock]

Remove ads