D&D 5E Homebrew D&D 5e Low Fantasy, Low Magic, Gritty Rules (New Version)

dave2008

Legend
I think he's just making a giant metajoke: He's arguing for the elimination of Elves simply because that what hobgoblins do, and he's The Hobgoblin.

(I mean, that's what I'd be doing if I had his name)

That would be awesome - I certainly hope that is the case ;)

calvnnhobs

First Post
Hi Matthew,

I'm preparing a low fantasy campaign with minimal (though growing) magic use, and was considering going to 1st or 2nd ed (or even the Cyclopedia), since 5th is so loaded with magic. I'm excited to find these rules and will give them a go.

One thing that came up in the preparation is turning undead. Is that ability missing, and if so, have you encountered any challenges? Or is that function hidden in some feat or spell and I'm just being daft?

Thanks!

Matthew P.

Villager
Hi Matthew,

I'm preparing a low fantasy campaign with minimal (though growing) magic use, and was considering going to 1st or 2nd ed (or even the Cyclopedia), since 5th is so loaded with magic. I'm excited to find these rules and will give them a go.

One thing that came up in the preparation is turning undead. Is that ability missing, and if so, have you encountered any challenges? Or is that function hidden in some feat or spell and I'm just being daft?

Thanks!

Hi Calvnnhobs!

I´m glad you might find my rules of use!

I have removed the cleric class from the rules (since a lot of low fantasy settings doesn't have gods that interfere or listens), and therefore also the ability to turn undead.

But if you like to have clerics in your setting, go for it (use the standard rules), or just use the turn undead ability as a feat. My rules is just a suggestion and you should add or remove what you like.

It would be nice to hear your thoughts on the rules when the campaign is finished!

clearstream

(He, Him)
This is my take on low fantasy, low magic and gritty Rules for D&D 5e.
It's for all of you out there who, like me, love the 5e rules but need to tweak them a bit to fit your low fantasy campaigns.

My PDF contains modified or variant rules for races, classes, equipment, resting and spells, but also some homebrew classes, new combat maneuvers, and rules for critical injuries and fumbles.
A worthy project, for sure! I took a look at your resting rules, as I believe these are a crucial matter for low magic / gritty campaigns. I'd like to give some input from my own experience.

I suggest using something like the resting cadence in the DMG for gritty realism. If you think about the goal of low-magic, then it is helpful if strategic spells (that would form a backbone of technology and realpolitik) are restricted. So far fewer revival spells, transport, world-shaping, or sustained summonings or conjurings.

And for the goal of being gritty, I found in play that removing the full heal is kind of moot, as characters tend to be able to heal themselves pretty thoroughly whenever they are about to take a long rest e.g. clerics (or any healing classes) just dump any remaining spell slots into heal, etc. I found it better to stress HP and HD through fewer long rests, rather than changing that aspect.

Last edited:

Crazymajor

Villager
Hey! Wanted to so thanks so much for the work you put into this!

As someone looking to run a ASOIAF/GoT campaign, but can't get their players as comfortable with running the system by Green Ronin, trying to find some low fantasy/magic versions of 5e was nearly impossible, but yours was perfect.

Even with Magus, I'm willing to edit the world a bit to add a spice of rare magic. But, I also wanted to ask, do you think if I remove Magus as an option things will ruin things. One of my worries is healing as there wouldn't be health potions so resting would be the only option. And I don't want it to feel like the characters are always on super low HP, and have to constantly be resting.

Remove ads