D&D 5E How Defeat this Coffelock Villain?

ro

First Post
As I said in another forum where you posted the same problem, this is easy.

Coffeelocks still need short rests. One method is to trick the Coffeelock into casting high level spells which can't be made from sorcerery points and can't be restored without a long rest. Hide in total cover for these spells, and you can't get hit. Tricking a Counterspell trigger is the way to go: learn how to mimic the sound of high-level spell-casting but cast a cantrip instead, all while out of line of sight of the villain: Counterspells will get wasted in the process. Then you are free to use real high-level spells without guaranteed Counterspell against them.

After wasting his high level slots, simply pelt the enemy with cantrips or arrows or sling stones (a crit always hits). Take out the Simulacrum first, which can't regain HP. They'll use up all their 100s of spell slots to heal themselves, step by step. As long as you always stay under total cover for the coffeelock's turn, you can never be hit. Burrowing into the ground (Druid = Giant Badger = tunnels) is a great way to do it.

When the villain tries to escape, chase him down and interrupt his short rests. No rests = no free spell slots. Eventually he'll run out, and then he's toast.

Any of your party can do this single-handedly. If you need to rest, let one rest at a time while the others annoy the villain to death.

Also, if he doesn't do anything, he probably readied his action. Just stay out of sight that round.

If you worry about tracking him when he runs away, hire a ranger to hunt him down. He can't get far enough to make a difference.

Last edited:

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
This is the most toxic post I've ever seen on EnWorld

Seriously? You need to get out more if a troll spotting is the worst you've ever seen around here. I posted what I did because every solution suggested was met with the exact way the BBEG will counter it, making it look more like an exercise of pitting the villian against the forum and not an actual play experience. Given the loose way the rules are being ignored/abused/broken, I also find the claim of being high level experienced players to be odd. If you actually add up all of the possible counters the OP has presented to suggestions, you find that the villain jumps between 480 ft away and out of range or within 180' to use specific counters, whichever lets the villain succeed in shutting down whatever the party does, and that the villain seems to have access to more spells that they should because they have the perfect counter to everything. It also seems very unrealistic that there are such clear lines of sight for the villain to exploit at all ranges and no full cover for the party to do a reset. Heck, casting a wall spell gives at least a few rounds to reset the party via wish/resuscitate before the villain can close from 480' away to do anything about it (180'/round max flying speed). Maybe you've never been in conversations online where someone states something is all powerful and then engages in very similar behavior to the OP to defend it. A lot of those involve making yourself the victim of the super-build so that people are sympathetic. As it goes on, though, you'll find that there's no strategy the villain can't counter.

But, all that said, most of the problems of the OP go away if you actually pay attention to spell ranges, targets, and the actual spell effects.

Lodes

Villager
Turn his "coffeelock" into a coffeepot!

All you need is a lvl 2 diviner wizard and dimension door close enough then cast True Polymorph on him. Take the encounter once you have a low enough roll on your portent dice and force the true polymorph to stick.

Last edited:

Thateous

Explorer
I think the coffeelock is named because of the mix of divine soul (white) with warlock (black) like adding creamer to coffee, but either way I think there are plenty of valid option to overcome the presented scenario, so good luck and all that jazz.

JonnyP71

Explorer
Note to self: Post another pet peeve to the thread about pet peeves. I hate the mashing together of words to make up new words. For example: Sorcadin, Bladelock, Bardbarian, etc. Well, Bardbarian is not quite as bad, but for consistency's sake it still qualifies as a pet peeve.

I agree 100% on these. The moment someone starts using these terms I switch off (I feel the same about the term 'build' to describe a character), as it tends to indicate their preferences lie in a style of gaming in which I have zero interest.

Wulffolk

Explorer
I agree 100% on these. The moment someone starts using these terms I switch off (I feel the same about the term 'build' to describe a character), as it tends to indicate their preferences lie in a style of gaming in which I have zero interest.

Same here. Whenever a player is concerned about their 20 level build it tells me that they are not at all concerned with the story that should evolve along the way. They will push the game in whatever direction that they need to in order to justify the build, regardless of what might make the most sense in that moment. This problem multiplies exponentially when multiple players share the same outlook, but diferrent goals. I would much prefer to run a game for players with very little system knowledge, and a willingness to go with the flow of the story.

PS - My apologies to the OP for this slight detour to their thread.

Remove ads