D&D 5E How Defeat this Coffelock Villain?

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
After figuring out what a Coffeelock is supposed to be (Google was of absolutely no help regarding "Coffelock"), I have come to the conclusion that your DM actually hates you. Or perhaps he simply hates your characters and wants them to die.

This DMPC (this character is so far beyond a fair encounter I cannot call it anything else) is a build that exploits short rests by laundering the Warlocks short rest recharge spells into Sorcery points, and then back into spell slots. What makes this character insanely abusive is the idea that the Invocation Aspect of the Moon, from XGtE, makes it so the warlock never has to sleep again (and is also immune to any attempts to force them into being asleep), meaning that these spell slots can be accrued every hour or so for days on end. Also, any Simulacrums that this Warlock produces will likewise have this limitless number of spell slots. This guy is also obviously a Divine Soul, allowing for any Cleric Spell to be in their potential arsenal.

There is one caveat: if you use the Going Without A Long Rest optional rule from XGtE, the Warlock will eventually be forced to take a long rest, even if they aren't sleeping during it. However, I can safely assume that the DM in question is either ignoring this rule, or bypassing it for this character. But I will also point out, if you could somehow knock this guy unconscious, just slit his throat on the spot.

What all this means for your fight.
  • You are fighting two high level casters who can perform an Alpha Strike from extreme distance, every round of combat, all day long (not that they are going to need more than 5 rounds to kill you.)
  • They have access to basically any spell in the game, and effectively unlimited uses of Metamagic to enhance them.
  • You are not going to land any spells. There are two casters, and it's likely they have two Maximum Level Counterspells ready at all times. Which again, will never run out.
  • It is also very likely that this guy is also a Hexblade, meaning that he will have Crazy Good Melee "Smites" backed up by Cleric Buffs just in case you somehow manage to close the distance on him.

The only way I can think of defeating this guy is to run away. Somehow befriend some monsters. Keep a Beholder within 60' of this guy while your Barbarian cleaves them. Perhaps an army of undead. Either way you need to keep this guy in a tightly controlled small areas. Know this: You are fighting something that can only be defeated by a Dungeon Master, so you must build your dungeon and populate it.

Last edited:

ClaytonCross

Kinder reader Inflection wanted
GM appears to be playing the extreme long range game, I am going to guess he was not kind enough to give full cover, but if the wizards have Wall of Stone they can make some and his attacks are useless.

If ether of your Wizards choose teleport then you could get out of dodge and try and draw the player to an enclosed low roof battleground.

If ether of your Wizards / sorcerer / bard choose Dimension Door with 500ft range you could teleport an ally going next and both attempt to grapple the Coffelock at which time you all drop like rock and go splat from 450ft. ...or you can just use it to teleport out of there.

If this was all a surprise and you lack the spells/gear to escape and the GM knows it, this maybe an intended lose for an escape jail follow on story. If your GM has told you its all up to you... err... I hope this is not a TPK, but my best suggestion is run, regroup, and fight inside.

Hygor Haas

Banned
Banned
Your first step is to determine whether or not you actually need the artifact. This might be an avoidable encounter. Even if you think you need it, your group should brainstorm ways to complete your quest without it. Perhaps there is an alternative possibility that you all missed.

Aside from that, consider that with every challenge come rules. Your group could figure out a way to game the rules of this particular challenge in your favor. Maybe you can summon a devil specialized in twisting around fine print in order to help with this endeavor?

You could also try getting the artifact without participating in the challenge. You could break into the villain's vault in order to steal it out from under his nose. Alternatively, you could try bartering for it, either by trading something else that he desperately wants, or by using some sort of leverage. Maybe you could discover some sort of dreadful secret that he would prefer stays secret.

Have you secured the favor of any allies? It is possible that you've gained the patronage of a local lord. Imagine a group of militia gathered at the villain's doorstep to collect the artifact as back taxes, all to your group's benefit.

There, multiple possibilities for defeating this challenge.

Thank you very much. Only that there is a problem ... The artifact is in Vilain's hand, yes, literally.
The DM warned that the villain was too powerful to face. We do not believe ... unfortunately.

Coroc

Hero
Summon some high Level fiend eventually could help you, but since you are already locked in combat with this exploit Combo i fear you are in for a tpk.

Hygor Haas

Banned
Banned
The only way I can think of defeating this guy is to run away. Somehow befriend some monsters. Keep a Beholder within 60' of this guy while your Barbarian cleaves them. Perhaps an army of undead. Either way you need to keep this guy in a tightly controlled small areas. Know this: You are fighting something that can only be defeated by a Dungeon Master, so you must build your dungeon and populate it.

LOL, funny tatic.

But... We have 2 f..... WIZARDS (One dead), a lore Bard, barbarian and a Sorcadin!!

We are brainstorming... The Abjuration Wizard will cast Globe of Invulnerability and Wish: Ressurection (Evocation Wizard), then, the Evocation Wizard casts wish: Ressuction (me).

Let's brainstorm how deafet him. It's powerful, but, we are 6 powerful PCs...

Last edited:

Hygor Haas

Banned
Banned
GM appears to be playing the extreme long range game, I am going to guess he was not kind enough to give full cover, but if the wizards have Wall of Stone they can make some and his attacks are useless.

If ether of your Wizards choose teleport then you could get out of dodge and try and draw the player to an enclosed low roof battleground.

If ether of your Wizards / sorcerer / bard choose Dimension Door with 500ft range you could teleport an ally going next and both attempt to grapple the Coffelock at which time you all drop like rock and go splat from 450ft. ...or you can just use it to teleport out of there.

The DM is experienced... The Coffelock has acess to freedom of movement, grapple doesn't work against him.

Last edited:

Phazonfish

B-Rank Agent
TPK means total player kill?

:.-(

Close, total party kill.

This situation is gonna require some sort of exploit of your own to overcome, and I don't have one, but I will say that if you have Dispel Magic (one of your wizards is an Abjurer after all) you could potentially get rid of Freedom of Movement, Death Ward, and Contingency: Revivify all in one action.

Last edited:

Ganymede81

First Post
Thank you very much. Only that there is a problem ... The artifact is in Vilain's hand, yes, literally.
The DM warned that the villain was too powerful to face. We do not believe ... unfortunately.

So he's literally going to cut his own hand off if the players win the challenge? That sounds a bit odd.

But anyways, he has to sleep sometime. You guys can investigate where he lairs and either go gank him in his sleep or steal his spellbook/something else he values.

Remove ads