D&D 5E How Defeat this Coffelock Villain?

Hygor Haas

Banned
Banned
Yeah, ok, so this appears to be the original discussion of the Coffeelock. It wasn't on ENWorld.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?542159-Hexblade-Coffeelock

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?542316-Let-s-break-Xanathar-s!

IMO, this is all quite 'silly'.* I don't have any patience for designers who put out this sort of stuff, and then put out tweets that imply** that it was intended. I don't have any patience for players who would try to bring this into a game. And I don't even know what to think of a DM who assails his players with it. For whomever finds it fun, great, go for it; to me, it seems like a severe waste of time.

* Would prefer a stronger term, but, you know, it is a matter of taste.
** Yeah, there are lots of possible combinations of having not thought about it, not caring, thinking it's cool, or not having the balls to admit it's a screw up. I really don't care which. I don't respect any of them.

The DM right now did not abuse Coffeelock.
He only used Metamagic, wings, Sniper Spell, Earth Bind, Repelling Eldrich Blast, Magic Missale, Enemies Abound. And access to cleric spells (Divine Soul).
In fact, it could have abused more of the Enemies abound ...

Thateous

Explorer
So, basically you guys didn't head the verbal warnings of your DM and are now the fecal matter has hit the fan. Can't say I feel sorry for you guys, but of all the info presented in this thread; retreating & verifying rules used are your best bet.

Would you honestly consider yourselves advanced enough players to play high level character? It can be overwhelming to have so many option, having not gained them slowly over time.

Wish I was at that table... seems like the kind of difficult situation I love... you know, ones where death is a real possibility.

Hygor Haas

Banned
Banned
So, basically you guys didn't head the verbal warnings of your DM and are now the fecal matter has hit the fan. Can't say I feel sorry for you guys, but of all the info presented in this thread; retreating & verifying rules used are your best bet.

Would you honestly consider yourselves advanced enough players to play high level character? It can be overwhelming to have so many option, having not gained them slowly over time.

Wish I was at that table... seems like the kind of difficult situation I love... you know, ones where death is a real possibility.

We are yes advenced players, enough. But we do not believe that a single spellcaster could challenge us. We are 6.

Look at the situation ... He was just a single villain (Not even minions around) with an artifact in his hand. He did not even try to run away.
We now know that we have made a mistake and need help to save my party.

You would be very welcome.

Last edited:

Thateous

Explorer
We are yes advenced players, enough. But we do not believe that a single spellcaster could challenge us. We are 6.

Look at the situation ... He was just a single villain (Not even minions around) with an artifact in his hand. He did not even try to run away.
We now know that we have made a mistake and need help to save my party.

You would be very welcome.

Where are you guys that is so open with nothing for cover?

Is everyone "earthbound"? I know the barbarian can rage to shrug it off, but with nowhere to run...

Nevvur

Explorer
If you have a portable hole and a bag of holding, you can force him and the rest of the party into the Astral Plane. Do it while the simulacrum isn't close enough to get sucked through the gate. Now he's down a simulacrum, his speed is based on Intelligence which probably isn't one of his higher stats (while it is quite high for your wizards), everyone can fly without concentration, and there's no earth for him to Earthbind.

Won't solve all your problems, but should level the playing field some.

Ganymede81

First Post
he warned us that we were not prepared to meet this challenge, we needed more preparation and strategy. We simply ignore it.

Well there you go. It seems that you knew what you needed to do all along.

Now take your lumps, reroll a new character, and maybe not try to fight the high level monster with a friggin' artifact for an arm next time.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
The DM warned that the villain was too powerful to face. We do not believe ... unfortunately.

Well, now you believe. Cast some kind of fog/darkness/wall spell and get the heck out of there. If the GM says foe is too powerful... it probably is.

edit: To elaborate: Your GM has some other idea on how you should solve this problem beside fighting the uber-sorcerer. Find out what it is.

Last edited:

Stalker0

Legend
My lord, you people are so negative it’s making me ill. The op gave a scenario to get some help on. The comments of “you shouldn’t have gotten in there in the first place” or “sorry you are screwed” are a complete waste of my time spent reading them.

Just leave the thread already and let the rest of us get back to something actually productive.

And now back to the OP, do you have access to wall spells or teleportation abilities? Obviously one option here is to try and get in close to bypass the range issue

ClaytonCross

Kinder reader Inflection wanted
The DM is experienced... The Coffelock has acess to freedom of movement, grapple doesn't work against him.

Ok...

"GM appears to be playing the extreme long range game, I am going to guess he was not kind enough to give full cover, but if the wizards have Wall of Stone they can make some and his attacks are useless.

If ether of your Wizards choose teleport then you could get out of dodge and try and draw the player to an enclosed low roof battleground.

If ether of your Wizards / sorcerer / bard choose Dimension Door with 500ft range you could teleport an ally going next and both attempt to grapple the Coffelock at which time you all drop like rock and go splat from 450ft. ...or you can just use it to teleport out of there."

So what about ... Dimension Door Otiluke’s Resilient Sphere which is not subject to freedom of movement, land on the sphere and push him down. Also, all my other suggestions work.

Also, freedom of movement does not resist stun effects which would make him fall if flying.

Still Wall of stone is your best bet up front, Darkness, illusionary terrain, d&d 5e blindness/deafness also works because the attacks he is using require line of sight. You don't have to kill him right away start shutting him down first. Then run or keep working on it.

Remove ads