D&D 5E How Defeat this Coffelock Villain?

Shroomy

Adventurer
This may sound harsh, but after reading about this "build," I would talk to the DM about changing the tenor of the campaign, and if he refuses, find myself a new game. The "coffeelock" hinges on some charitable reading of the rules (to say the least, as most of these builds do) and as a DM, I would never, ever allow it to be used at my table. Conversely, I would never throw something like that at my players, as it's only purpose is to abuse the system, which is fine (I guess) on a forum where you're discussing theorycrafting. The fact that your DM is using it at all throws up all sorts of red flags.

5ekyu

Hero
For me result of this is House Rule: Add "Long Rest" to the sorcery point trade in so that short rest slots may not be cashed in for long rest sorcery points. Rationale: The link between long rest sorcery points abd losing excess slots on long rest seems a reasonable link and limitation.

Sent from my VS995 using EN World mobile app

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
All you need is a simple minor illusion cantrip to throw up a wall to block line of sight. The foe is so distant he will never get close enough to the illusion of the wall to even get a saving throw from interacting with it.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
BTW... where is this happening that there are such great lines of sight? a vast featureless plain with no hills?!?

All you need is a simple minor illusion cantrip to throw up a wall to block line of sight. The foe is so distant he will never get close enough to the illusion of the wall to even get a saving throw from interacting with it.

As a general rule, a party should always have access to some kind of "smoke bomb" spell to create cover and allow for a retreat - fog cloud, illusions of a large wall, wall of ice... it doesn't really matter what it is, but *something*

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
"We've secretly replaced the coffeelock's regular spell slots with brand-new Folger's spell slots. Let's see if he notices the difference."

Henry

Autoexreginated
"We've secretly replaced the coffeelock's regular spell slots with brand-new Folger's spell slots. Let's see if he notices the difference."

Obviously the DM has Sanka Latte time and effort into this so-called challenge; in truth all it’s Brewing is hostile feelings. It’s worth Espresso-ing your feelings on this to him and reminding him that such tricks should be Bean-eath him as a good DM. If he doesn’t budge, I’d call it Grounds for a new DM and campaign.

jgsugden

Legend
Physical interaction with the image reveals it to be an illusion, because things can pass through it. If a creature discerns the illusion for what it is, the illusion becomes faint to the creature.

The enemy does not need a save to see through an illusion that it hits. Also, that wall only covers a 5 foot area.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Physical interaction with the image reveals it to be an illusion, because things can pass through it. If a creature discerns the illusion for what it is, the illusion becomes faint to the creature.

The enemy does not need a save to see through an illusion that it hits. Also, that wall only covers a 5 foot area.

The “only 5 ft area” thing is true for minor illusion, but it is going to waste the “Coffeelock’s” action to determine it’s an illusion, because they’re going to have to either physically interact with it (which I would argue doesn’t mean, “cast a spell at it” but “touch it or strike it with a ranged weapon” or use their action to make an Invstigate check.

Then again, this is the DM’s critter, so he’ll just rule on illusions any way he sees fit...

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Obviously the DM has Sanka Latte time and effort into this so-called challenge; in truth all it’s Brewing is hostile feelings. It’s worth Espresso-ing your feelings on this to him and reminding him that such tricks should be Bean-eath him as a good DM. If he doesn’t budge, I’d call it Grounds for a new DM and campaign.
As a player, I'd be beyond Keurig at this point, the DM needs to give the players a little sweetener to continue. They're not going to continue getting creamed, the DM needs to stop coming in so strong and lighten up.

Remove ads