D&D 5E How Defeat this Coffelock Villain?

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Invisibility and hiding would be your best means of approach as well if your party were at full strength. Warlock Sorcerors with feats won't have a very great wisdom.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Physical interaction with the image reveals it to be an illusion, because things can pass through it. If a creature discerns the illusion for what it is, the illusion becomes faint to the creature.

The enemy does not need a save to see through an illusion that it hits. Also, that wall only covers a 5 foot area.

But he can't use eldritch blast to "interact" with the illusionary wall - it doesn't affect objects ;)

I grant the point on this needing a high enough level illusion to cover a decent area. Cantrip wont' cut it.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
But he can't use eldritch blast to "interact" with the illusionary wall - it doesn't affect objects ;)

I grant the point on this needing a high enough level illusion to cover a decent area. Cantrip wont' cut it.

I don't know any DM that wouldn't let try to attack or eldritch blast through a wall... rules be darned. Of course against a normal wall it wont do nothing. But against an illusionary wall....

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I don't know any DM that wouldn't let try to attack or eldritch blast through a wall... rules be darned. Of course against a normal wall it wont do nothing. But against an illusionary wall....

buuuut what is he targeting? He can't see beyond the illusionary wall... And even if you allowed firing in a random direction (ie at the wall), the beam would just stop at the wall... same way it would stop at a normal wall. It's not like a bullet being stopped by a brick wall, with a small "explosion". It doesn't scorch the wall or anything. It just... stops. An eldrich blast wouldn't even bend a sheet of paper.

5ekyu

Hero
buuuut what is he targeting? He can't see beyond the illusionary wall... And even if you allowed firing in a random direction (ie at the wall), the beam would just stop at the wall... same way it would stop at a normal wall. It's not like a bullet being stopped by a brick wall, with a small "explosion". It doesn't scorch the wall or anything. It just... stops. An eldrich blast wouldn't even bend a sheet of paper.
This is the key... Does the effect hitting a real wall do anything different than hitting an illusory one? Obbiously, no rules i see clarify, but given the eldritch specifically cannot affect onjects i myself would not rule any "interaction with objects" favorable to it. To do so is giving it an object effect, even if its not damage - "confirm onject."

Sent from my VS995 using EN World mobile app

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
This is the key... Does the effect hitting a real wall do anything different than hitting an illusory one? Obbiously, no rules i see clarify, but given the eldritch specifically cannot affect onjects i myself would not rule any "interaction with objects" favorable to it. To do so is giving it an object effect, even if its not damage - "confirm onject."

Sent from my VS995 using EN World mobile app

I think that the only thing you could "give" is "confirm not creature". Think about the following scenario. There are 3 "statues" in front of a warlock, back to a wall. One is a statue, one is a golem, one is an illusion. Eldrich blast should allow for the identification of the golem BUT the illusion and the statue wouldn't be identifiable.

pukunui

Legend
Invisibility and hiding would be your best means of approach as well if your party were at full strength. Warlock Sorcerors with feats won't have a very great wisdom.
If they're a PC, maybe. But this is the DM's pet arch-villain built using a ridiculous rules exploit. For all we know, it's got a 20 in every stat.

Remove ads