D&D 5E How do we know if a KS module is worth it?

Lately I have been looking at some Kickstarter campaign to spice up my game (meaning I'm the DM and have been for a while and woulf like to get some new inspiration). I purchased one (I prefer not to say the name and was.... Disappointing. I have a new one that looks really good from a different group but now I am in doubt. How do you qualify good potential projects?

Retreater

Legend
Kickstarter is a mixed bag - kinda like any product. I guess the best way is to see if the company has released a quality consistent product in the past or has developed attached to the product with a good history. Are there previews you can look at?
But honestly, it's safer to wait until a product is released. You'll usually have the chance to buy the product after it's released and you can better discerne if it's for you.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
It’s just like buying any product… I guess the best way to tell is to look at somebody’s past products, look at previews, that sort of thing. A decently run KS should have some previews for you to look at at least.

Thanks for the advice. This project is from a new publishing group, they put it out as that also. The stories look really good and the visual (drawings and so) are really great.

pogre

Legend
There are certain authors/companies I like and will give them the benefit of the doubt. Otherwise, a new publisher better give me a big sample to read.

I also like ENWorld's KS Model where it is a preprint order and you get the pdf nearly immediately. I don't fund undeveloped cool ideas.

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
Lately I have been looking at some Kickstarter campaign to spice up my game (meaning I'm the DM and have been for a while and woulf like to get some new inspiration). I purchased one (I prefer not to say the name and was.... Disappointing. I have a new one that looks really good from a different group but now I am in doubt. How do you qualify good potential projects?
I tend to be cautious with Kickstarters, but checking what else they've done helps.

Checking for reviews of modules by a given author or company on Reddit, or here, or Dragonsfoot for old school stuff. Tenfootpole.org has thousands of reviews of D&D modules. He's one of my favorite places to look for new stuff, especially stuff he categorizes as "The Best" or "No Regerts".

There are so many existing modules available online nowadays that I don't generally go to Kickstarter looking for those.

Last edited:

Remove ads