How far can you see at night?

Someone

Adventurer
VioletSamurai said:
I'll concede that speed is certainly a factor. Put those elves on horses and they would be the most feared skirmishers the world had ever seen.

That was my point. Horses have low light vision. Elves have low light vision. In a plains, it's the tactical equivalent of a high level monk using Spring attack against a blind halfling; they can attack and dissapear.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
VioletSamurai said:
I'll concede that speed is certainly a factor. Put those elves on horses and they would be the most feared skirmishers the world had ever seen.

Pretty much exactly the situation the Keith Baker created with the Valenar elves in Eberron, FWIW :)

Corran

Explorer
Christian said:
So, for example, a torch illuminates 20' brightly and up to 40' of shadowy illumination. For someone with low-light vision, that's 40' of bright illumination. A moonlit night is shadowy all over; for someone with low-light vision, that's just like daytime. A moonless night is impenetrable darkness.

How does that interact with hide then? Normally you need to hide in areas of shadowy illumination because that offers concealment. So if a rogue is hiding 30' from a group of characters with a torch he can hide from everyone except those with low-light vision who will see him plain as day?

werk

First Post
Corran said:
How does that interact with hide then? Normally you need to hide in areas ... that offers concealment. So if a rogue is hiding 30' from a group of characters with a torch he can hide from everyone except those with low-light vision who will see him plain as day?

Yep. Relative to the viewer.

Remove ads