How long are your gaming sessions?

How long do your roleplaying sessions last at a time, on average?

• Less than one hour

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • One to two hours

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • Two to three hours

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Three to four hours

Votes: 24 36.4%
  • Four to five hours

Votes: 13 19.7%
  • Five to six hours

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • Six to seven hours

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Seven to eight hours

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • More than eight hours

Votes: 0 0.0%

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I'm asking about traditional games, either in person or online here, rather than play by mail or play by post or play by email or play by smoke signal or whatever. LARP is probably a different thing, with its own time frames, but I'd be curious in hearing those answers in the comments.

Since I switched to online play, the new default is about 3 hours, with an effective play time of about 2.5 hours. This is something that everybody can fit into their schedules on week days. Sessions typically happen every two weeks.
When I still played at the table, we used to play 4 to 6 hours (with an effective play time of 3 to 5 hours). However, sessions happened less frequent (typically once every other month) because of schedules and distance.

Scottius

Adventurer
In my campaigns the standard session length is 4 to 4 1/2 hours. These are all in person sessions hosted at my home. We play weekly save for weeks where we have multiple cancelations or holidays and the like intrude.

RoughCoronet0

Dragon Lover
My group plays about 5 and 6 hours per session. Sometimes we can stretch that another hour or two if we are in a really intense combat that we can’t comfortably pause at or if we lose track of time and just don’t stop until someone mentions the time.

Remove ads