How long are your gaming sessions?

How long do your roleplaying sessions last at a time, on average?

• Less than one hour

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • One to two hours

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • Two to three hours

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Three to four hours

Votes: 24 36.4%
  • Four to five hours

Votes: 13 19.7%
  • Five to six hours

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • Six to seven hours

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Seven to eight hours

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • More than eight hours

Votes: 0 0.0%

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Back in the day, in college and grad school, we could spend a ton of time on a session, and 5 to 8 hours was common.

Today, games are happening on weeknights, because weekends are super-valuable time. That leave me working in the 2 to 4 hour range, mostly about 3 hours, both in-person and online play taking up similar times.

TheAlkaizer

Game Designer
Three to four hours is also the range that's most common for me. It's hard for me to GM with focus and intensity for more.

If it fits between lunch and dinner, or dinner and have-to-go-home time then it's a good length for me.

aco175

Legend
We play after scouts which lets out at 8;30, but by the time we actually start is more like 8;50 and lasts to 10;30 and rarely 11.00- so generally just under 2 hours.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
My online game sessions (over zoom) are 3 hours.
My in-person game sessions (different group) are about 5 hours.

Both games meet every 3 to 5 weeks (averaging about once a month).

The average between these is 4 hours - so that is what I chose. Sometimes the in-person games vary in length from as little as 3 hours to as much as 6 (the lower end being more common than the high end).

I find running and playing online to be much more exhausting than running in person for some reason.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I find running and playing online to be much more exhausting than running in person for some reason.
There was a big scientific study that just came out that said this is very common. Apparently there are hellish workplaces that still require people to be on camera for hours every day (which is part of what the study was looking at), which seems like a nightmare.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
For me, not as a player, but as a GM yes. However, I do feel like im much more organized and run a tighter better game online. Though, I do find getting folks attention and keeping the game going takes more effort online on both sides of the screen.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I do find getting folks attention and keeping the game going takes more effort online on both sides of the screen.
It's definitely harder without the body language cues when someone is feeling left out or finds themselves getting interrupted, etc.

I've internalized Shadowdark's always-on initiative in my online gameplay now for that reason, which makes me (usually) ask each player what they're doing, to avoid anyone getting left out. (I ran a Pirate Borg game with seven players earlier this month, and managed to keep them all engaged, which felt like a win.)

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
It's definitely harder without the body language cues when someone is feeling left out or finds themselves getting interrupted, etc.

I've internalized Shadowdark's always-on initiative in my online gameplay now for that reason, which makes me (usually) ask each player what they're doing, to avoid anyone getting left out. (I ran a Pirate Borg game with seven players earlier this month, and managed to keep them all engaged, which felt like a win.)
Seven? Dayum thats a win for sure. My experiences have only been groups of 4-5 including GM online. My current PF1 game is actually down to 2 players and a GM. We lost a few folks and the choice was start over and recruit, or keep playing with each player running 2 PCs.

Remove ads