How long are your gaming sessions?

How long do your roleplaying sessions last at a time, on average?

• Less than one hour

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • One to two hours

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • Two to three hours

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Three to four hours

Votes: 24 36.4%
  • Four to five hours

Votes: 13 19.7%
  • Five to six hours

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • Six to seven hours

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Seven to eight hours

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • More than eight hours

Votes: 0 0.0%

ThrorII

Adventurer
My 'adult' group plays in person every other Saturday, from 5:30 to 10:00pm, so 4.5 hours, but it is generally starting closer to 6pm after small talk (and food!), and can wrap up by 9:00pm if it is a natural break and the next section would take too long. So, we budget 4.5 hours, and sometimes it runs less, an very rarely it runs longer.

My 'kids' group that I run for my teens and their friends plays those same alternate Saturdays as above, and we were doing 3 hour sessions, but I've just extended them to 4 hours.

ThrorII

Adventurer
Seven? Dayum thats a win for sure. My experiences have only been groups of 4-5 including GM online. My current PF1 game is actually down to 2 players and a GM. We lost a few folks and the choice was start over and recruit, or keep playing with each player running 2 PCs.

I've run D&D (and Castle's & Crusades) with up to 7 players, but I felt that was too many. 4-6 is my sweet spot, with 5-6 being perfect.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I've run D&D (and Castle's & Crusades) with up to 7 players, but I felt that was too many. 4-6 is my sweet spot, with 5-6 being perfect.
Yeah, I was shocked to have nine people sign up to try out Pirate Borg and it was a relief when two people didn't show. (I'm rerunning Buried in the Bahamas for them this Saturday.)

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I had 5 players for years for my PF1 APs. It was excellent because if one player couldn't make it, we played on. If two couldn't, then we cancelled. Worked for just over a decade. Covid, big moves, and IRL ended the streak. Sadly, im on the way to a wake for one of the players...

Online I find I enjoy smaller groups. The folks I've met so far, tend to be dedicated to the game and focused. 🤞

Richards

Legend
I went with three to four hours as well. Our Wednesday night sessions tend to skew more towards three hours and our every-other-Saturday campaign tends to skew more towards four hours, but for the most part that's about where we land.

Johnathan

I won't game for less than four hours, and weekly, ever.

I prefer 5 players, but occasionally go to six if the campaign is complex, because that way if RL costs me a player, we don't have to bring a newcomer up to speed.

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
About 3.5 hours of actual play. 1-2 hours of social stuff, eating, etc. Sometimes before. Sometimes after. Sometimes in the middle.

aramis erak

Legend
I used to run my sunday game from 14:00 to 20:00 or 21:00... (6-7 hours) and my thursday or friday from 18:00 to 23:00 (5 hr) and the other friday game from 14:00 to 17:00 (3 hr)... Or, for one year, 11:30 to 16:00 for early friday game and 18:00 to 2300 for the other. In almost all cases, I'm the GM.

Now, my Wed game runs 17:30±15 to 21:30±30. My sunday is from 18:30±30 to 23:30±30 for 4-6 hours.

Remove ads