• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How long are your gaming sessions?

How long do your roleplaying sessions last at a time, on average?

• Less than one hour

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • One to two hours

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • Two to three hours

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Three to four hours

Votes: 24 36.4%
  • Four to five hours

Votes: 13 19.7%
  • Five to six hours

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • Six to seven hours

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Seven to eight hours

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • More than eight hours

Votes: 0 0.0%

ThrorII

Adventurer
My 'adult' group plays in person every other Saturday, from 5:30 to 10:00pm, so 4.5 hours, but it is generally starting closer to 6pm after small talk (and food!), and can wrap up by 9:00pm if it is a natural break and the next section would take too long. So, we budget 4.5 hours, and sometimes it runs less, an very rarely it runs longer.

My 'kids' group that I run for my teens and their friends plays those same alternate Saturdays as above, and we were doing 3 hour sessions, but I've just extended them to 4 hours.

ThrorII

Adventurer
Seven? Dayum thats a win for sure. My experiences have only been groups of 4-5 including GM online. My current PF1 game is actually down to 2 players and a GM. We lost a few folks and the choice was start over and recruit, or keep playing with each player running 2 PCs.

I've run D&D (and Castle's & Crusades) with up to 7 players, but I felt that was too many. 4-6 is my sweet spot, with 5-6 being perfect.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I've run D&D (and Castle's & Crusades) with up to 7 players, but I felt that was too many. 4-6 is my sweet spot, with 5-6 being perfect.
Yeah, I was shocked to have nine people sign up to try out Pirate Borg and it was a relief when two people didn't show. (I'm rerunning Buried in the Bahamas for them this Saturday.)

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I had 5 players for years for my PF1 APs. It was excellent because if one player couldn't make it, we played on. If two couldn't, then we cancelled. Worked for just over a decade. Covid, big moves, and IRL ended the streak. Sadly, im on the way to a wake for one of the players...

Online I find I enjoy smaller groups. The folks I've met so far, tend to be dedicated to the game and focused. 🤞

Richards

Legend
I went with three to four hours as well. Our Wednesday night sessions tend to skew more towards three hours and our every-other-Saturday campaign tends to skew more towards four hours, but for the most part that's about where we land.

Johnathan

I won't game for less than four hours, and weekly, ever.

I prefer 5 players, but occasionally go to six if the campaign is complex, because that way if RL costs me a player, we don't have to bring a newcomer up to speed.

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
About 3.5 hours of actual play. 1-2 hours of social stuff, eating, etc. Sometimes before. Sometimes after. Sometimes in the middle.

aramis erak

Legend
I used to run my sunday game from 14:00 to 20:00 or 21:00... (6-7 hours) and my thursday or friday from 18:00 to 23:00 (5 hr) and the other friday game from 14:00 to 17:00 (3 hr)... Or, for one year, 11:30 to 16:00 for early friday game and 18:00 to 2300 for the other. In almost all cases, I'm the GM.

Now, my Wed game runs 17:30±15 to 21:30±30. My sunday is from 18:30±30 to 23:30±30 for 4-6 hours.

Remove ads