• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) How should the Warlord be implemented in 1DnD?

Clint_L

Hero
As OP noted, some of the 4e Warlock features were kind of already adapted into the Battlemaster sub-class, which leaves less of a niche for the Warlord itself. The other issue I see is that "Warlord" is kind of a tricky concept to wrap your head around as a class - it's more like a rank or personality type. But what if the other characters don't want to be led? It's kind of a nebulous class concept, though as a soldiery thing it feels closest to fighter.

So I wouldn't do it as a class or sub-class, since Battlemaster is already a thing. Instead, I would create feats that embody some of the excellent ideas already shared, such as being able to give your attacks to another player, allow an ally to use hit dice in combat, etc.. Then any class could become a warlord through taking the right combination of feats, but a Battlemaster with those warlord-style feats could almost recreate the original for those who want the full experience.

Last edited:

I agree, though they should find a far FAR less Realmsy name then PDK. I suggest Marshal, though "Warlord" would do a lot to please people.
The subclass has an alternate name, which is given in the class description. Which is as follows:

"Banneret serves as the generic name for this archetype if you use it in other campaign settings or to model warlords other than Purple Dragon knights."

Pauln6

Hero
rebooting the Purple Dragon Knight is the best I expect. The current version has a much better story than it does mechanics.
A good start would be to remove proficiency in persuasion and replace it the fighter manoeuvre that boosts charisma checks fuelled by superiority dice that could also give access to battlemaster manoeuvres. Even 1d4 or 1d6 dice could nudge banneret towards a more full fledged warlord.

As OP noted, some of the 4e Warlock features were kind of already adapted into the Battlemaster sub-class, which leaves less of a niche for the Warlord itself. The other issue I see is that "Warlord" is kind of a tricky concept to wrap your head around as a class - it's more like a rank or personality type. But what if the other characters don't want to be led? It's kind of a nebulous class concept, though as a soldiery thing it feels closest to fighter.
Bardic inspiration isn't listed as magical. What is the other characters don't want to be inspired?
They can just choose not to use the ability being granted.

So I wouldn't do it as a class or sub-class, since Battlemaster is already a thing. Instead, I would create feats that embody some of the excellent ideas already shared, such as being able to give your attacks to another player, allow an ally to use hit dice in combat, etc.. Then any class could become a warlord through taking the right combination of feats, but a Battlemaster with those warlord-style feats could almost recreate the original for those who want the full experience.
I'm not sure that that would actually reflect what some people were after. Support abilities are pretty much what the class does. It would be like creating feats that grant full caster progression.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
The subclass has an alternate name, which is given in the class description. Which is as follows:

"Banneret serves as the generic name for this archetype if you use it in other campaign settings or to model warlords other than Purple Dragon knights."

You're right! I was aware of that, but wasn't thinking of it because 1) I don't like Banneret much & 2) I guess I meant more as the primary name. So my suggestion would be: Reverse the primary & secondary name, and maybe change Banneret.

Though, frankly, with "backwards compatibility" they might just be best off using names they've never used before for subclasses and let the player choose if they want to play the old "Purple Dragon Knight" or the new "Warlord".

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Passive Tactics: Any Ally fighting with a Warlord who follows their plan gets a bonus to certain combat actions. Like a Paladin's Aura but wider and smaller. Like +1 AC or +X damage when adjacent to enemies.
This feels like some of the more specialized uses of bardic inspiration. If warlord needs to be its own class, and not a bard subclass, maybe the bardic inspiration framework should be used, for balancing purposes.

Remove ads