WotC How to I find my claimed content on dndbeyond?

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I've subscribed to DnD Beyond for 7 years and used it heavily for 6 of those years to prep and run games. My biggest complaint the entire time, to the point where it has evolved into a pet peeve everytime I use the platform is the inability to filter out content I don't own. The sources menu shows everything in DDB with no indication of what I own, much less any way to filter it. The search returns content from material I don't own with no way to filter it out. There is no "my library" view. It doesn't seem like it would be that complicated to add such filter options. Yes, I've provided feedback.

It's the one thing I strongly dislike about a product I otherwise really enjoy and have spent over $1500 on.

I feel it is an entirely reasonable gripe and I completely understand why someone who doesn't use it much or is new to the platform would be confused and frustrated. I've been frustrated for years by this lack of what I've come to see as basic functionality. Given the number of posts in the DDB forums on this issue shows it is not an unusual complaint.

MNblockhead

It seems wotc has continued their track record of horribly designed websites. Is there no way to view any of the content you've claimed? Every time they've offered something for free I've claimed it, but apparently I can't ever view it again? Doesn't exactly inspire me to ever buy anything there. Judging from the dndbeyond forum I'm not the only one that can't figure it out.
In my rush to rant, I forgot one helpful tip. While the website inexcusably makes this inconvenient, if you install the DDB app on your phone, the app does give you the option to filter by "owned" when you search. Only for the main all-content search, however. You can't filter by owned when searching/filtering on "listings" (e.g. spell or monster lists). Also, from the Home menu, you can click on "All books" and then you have a filter button for owned.

The app will be much more convenient for your purposes than the website.

MNblockhead

Also, another reason this is annoying, is that their app proves they can do this. Why do they have this feature on the app, but not the website? Because you can't access the marketplace and buy content on the app. One the website I feels as if they want to annoy you into buying content you don't own.

EDIT: correction, you CAN buy content on the app.

Last edited:

wedgeski

Adventurer
I've subscribed to DnD Beyond for 7 years and used it heavily for 6 of those years to prep and run games. My biggest complaint the entire time, to the point where it has evolved into a pet peeve everytime I use the platform is the inability to filter out content I don't own. The sources menu shows everything in DDB with no indication of what I own, much less any way to filter it. The search returns content from material I don't own with no way to filter it out. There is no "my library" view. It doesn't seem like it would be that complicated to add such filter options. Yes, I've provided feedback.
Likewise. And it wouldn't be complicated. It's a glaring user experience compromise feebly intended to encourage impulse buys, which only gets more irritating as the library grows. DNDB is a great product, but I'll never fully enjoy it until this absurd limitation is removed.

Maybe you're reading more into the tone than was intended?
Maybe you didn't realize how your post came off. I think @Clint_L explained my interpretation of your post very well. Particularily when he points out the WotC didn't design the DnD Beyond UI, they just purchased it.

Now I agree with just about everyone else that it could be improved. I also agree they seem to have the time and money to make those improvements. However, I don't now exactly what they are doing behind the scenes (except the massive revision of the core rules, adding maps to beyond, adding 3PP content to beyond, and a from scratch VTT).

It seems wotc has continued their track record of horribly designed websites. Is there no way to view any of the content you've claimed? Every time they've offered something for free I've claimed it, but apparently I can't ever view it again? Doesn't exactly inspire me to ever buy anything there. Judging from the dndbeyond forum I'm not the only one that can't figure it out.
As others have pointed out, WotC did not design DnD Beyond. They purchased it a few years back, but it was designed and managed by another company for a long time.

Now, the issue you brought was not new and had been reported many years prior to WotC purchase. However the original developers never implemented it either. I don't know why they didn't, but maybe it isn't the quick fix we all assume. I remember another thread a few years back where someone claimed the underlying code of DnDBeyond is pretty bad and that to implement some changes you would have to rebuild the whole thing from the ground up. I don't know if that is true, but things like this issue make me wonder: did WotC buy lemon when they thought they were getting a Mercedes?

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
As others have pointed out, WotC did not design DnD Beyond. They purchased it a few years back, but it was designed and managed by another company for a long time.

Now, the issue you brought was not new and had been reported many years prior to WotC purchase. However the original developers never implemented it either. I don't know why they didn't, but maybe it isn't the quick fix we all assume. I remember another thread a few years back where someone claimed the underlying code of DnDBeyond is pretty bad and that to implement some changes you would have to rebuild the whole thing from the ground up.
I'm fairly sure that there was a massive rebuild of the code when DDB was still owned by Fandom. Still, there are probably issues that are even more ingrained, even though I have no clue if there is some connection with the sources interface.

I don't know if that is true, but things like this issue make me wonder: did WotC buy lemon when they thought they were getting a Mercedes?
From all accounts, DDB is making WotC a lot of money. I don't think that they regret the purchase :)

Oofta

Legend

Now, the issue you brought was not new and had been reported many years prior to WotC purchase. However the original developers never implemented it either. I don't know why they didn't, but maybe it isn't the quick fix we all assume. I remember another thread a few years back where someone claimed the underlying code of DnDBeyond is pretty bad and that to implement some changes you would have to rebuild the whole thing from the ground up. I don't know if that is true, but things like this issue make me wonder: did WotC buy lemon when they thought they were getting a Mercedes?

There are times when you buy the brand, even if the underlying product isn't as good as you would hope. I have my own issues with DDB, but it actually functions which is something I can't say for the first tool (who's name I forget) that attempted to implement a character builder.

Remove ads