• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E I hate rapiers. Do you?

Do you like the way 5e has handled rapiers?

• Absolutely not! I hate, hate, hate the way 5e has handled rapiers.

Votes: 50 21.6%
  • I dislike 5e rapiers so much I have houseruled a nerf on them.

Votes: 17 7.4%
  • I like rapiers, and I eat paste.

Votes: 89 38.5%
  • I only participate in polls with leading questions.

Votes: 75 32.5%

Thedip

First Post
Rogues are one of my favorite classes and whilst I have the ability to choose to use a rapier, I often don't bother (even though it has the best damage).

For my latest rogue, she will be using a shortbow and for melee she will have a couple of daggers or a shortsword. Not only that, it is likely that I will be using strength as a dump stat as she will tend to try and stay out of combat; although a dagger from the shadows is not beyond her. She won't be bristling with weapons, rather have weapons that are easily concealable (not something that can be done with a rapier).

When deciding on weapons, I always think of the character and what he/she would use. You can probably tell that I am not a power gamer and when running a wizard he rarely has a fireball waiting in the wings.

Rapiers are fine if the sole reason that they are selected for flavour rather than just for damage; also ask yourself if you would prefer to have a rapier starpped to your side when sneaking around or a dagger hidden in your tunic?

Warpiglet

Adventurer
Given the recent attempts by individuals to rehabilitate the image of the rapier ...

ahem ...

http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?583330-The-D-amp-D-rapier-What-is-it

It is imperative that this thread be resurrected. Risen from the dead. The canolier is the bane of all good D&D games. NEVER FORGET.

Hilarious!

I like people. I like people that happen to like rapiers. I do not like rapiers.

Can't do it. I like shortswords. I like shortswords with dex modifier. I like d8 damage. I do not like rapiers.

I can try to imagine a rapier looks cool. i can almost see some sort of thrusting sword...then the image fades and I imagine some skinny blade that I cannot possibly think is cool.

At best I have good taste. At worst, I lack imagination. Either might be true but I can't like rapiers.

Gwarok

Explorer
There's no way a fighter with a rapier is able to pinpoint 4 times in 6 seconds the small breach in the armor while the foe is defending himself.

Well, gotta be 20th for that, and at that point you're basically a demigod, hard to compare to the fighting skills of mere mortals like you and me. Or it could just be one fatal stab through the eye to represent 4 hits in one. Or whatever. Also, you can pierce armor with thrusting weapons easier than most others. Sure, nice to find a gap if you can, but

I like rapiers. When it comes to sharp pointy things and hurting people with them, speed and precision is preferable to strength. Stabbing is far more damaging than slashing or hammering to those with internal organs concerned about bleeding out, at least for the effort required. Just ask any EMT.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
While I do like rapiers for d&d (at least those with appropriate blades ha), I do share some of the concerns around the rules regarding rapiers, fitness and two weapon fighting in 5e. I don't think that they got it right.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using EN World mobile app

Yaarel

He Mage
[MENTION=6799753]lowkey13[/MENTION], didnt you know? ‘Rapier’ is just the word that D&D 5e uses for the Japanese katana.

It is imperative that this thread be resurrected. Risen from the dead. The canolier is the bane of all good D&D games. NEVER FORGET.

It is imperative, but can we please have one of these for the bloody squirrel-shooter (aka "hand crossbow")?

Best thing about Primeval Thule: No canoliers and no squirrel-shooters.

Remove ads