Pathfinder 1E [IC] - TIDERULER OF MARAN

Archon Basileus

First Post
[Sorry, man, but he's up and away! I even gave you the extras on account of our double roll for the bag of entanglement, hehe! You guys need a plan, and fast! And [MENTION=87106]MetaVoid[/MENTION]: epic fights, epic scars! :p]

Mhuargra looks around and for the first time notices she's essentially in the middle of the battle. Making some distance for him/herself she utters a single word, curse so powerful that its target, the wyvern is struck blind. The party is still in danger, now more than before as more spells would mean less enemies around. Dark caster moves away from melee into the safety of the boulders, to observe and cackle at the show in front of it.

Enlarged Hagadark uses the space to step right next to the wyvern carefully NOT ignoring adjacent warriors, his great falchion keeping them at bay. He uses his great height and reach to literally pluck the blinded beast from the air pulling on its tail and back haunches, restricting its ability to fly with his sheer weight.

"Get those serpents off me!" he shouts to no one in particular (hint: [MENTION=24380]Neurotic[/MENTION])

"Dwarf! If it takes off with you, drop the dagger! I'll keep it down as long as ... hrngh!! ... I can!"

[sblock=Orc]
"Archers, keep the focus on mages, wait until they start casting before shooting. Klutha, Ho-og, focus on one together!"
[/sblock]

Klutha nods and brings her weapon from the above, cleaving into the mage (8 damage ). Ho-og who only millimeters behind cleaves through the poor snake (15 damage crit) and continues his turn to face the remaining oponent, grinning toothily.

[sblock=Actions]
Mhuagra: Power word blind (no save) Wyvern needs acrobatics check to move more than half move or fall down
Move AH 16 --> AJ 20

Hagadark:
Move: 5' step adjacent to the wyvern
Standard: Grab the wyvern: 1D20+7 = [18]+7 = 25
Wyvern gets OA against Hagadark (it seems my function is to grab things in combat :) )
Note that even lightest (150lbs) half-orc enlarged weights 1200 lbs --> and hagadark is not weak (and has equipment on)

OA if wyvern flies away (if it frees itself)
Falchion attack; damage: 1D20+6 = [8]+6 = 14
2D4+4 = [3, 1]+4 = 8

Archers: ready action to interrupt AD 14 WC
Archers vs WC at AD 15 : 1D20+6 = [4]+6 = 10
1D6+4 = [5]+4 = 9
1D20+6 = [1]+6 = 7
1D6+4 = [4]+4 = 8
- and my luck continues - I'd rather 1 damage with hits :)

Warriors:
Klutha vs AA 17; damage; Ho-og vs AA 17; damage: 1D20+6 = [14]+6 = 20
1D10+4 = [4]+4 = 8
1D20+6 = [20]+6 = 26
1D10+4 = [3]+4 = 7
- ho ho ho!!

Ignore Klutha confirmation, I saw 20 and celebrated before my brain engaged :)
Klutha confirm; damage; Ho-og confirm; damage: 1D20+6 = [15]+6 = 21
1D10+4 = [10]+4 = 14
1D20+6 = [7]+6 = 13
1D10+4 = [4]+4 = 8

[/sblock]

Last edited:

Archon Basileus

First Post
As Marius leaps, the beast escapes his strike by a few feet. His body twists in the air as he returns and lands safely on his feet.

Hagadark uses his size and strength, taking the beast by its tail, but it is not enough! The wyvern pulls and, by a short victory, escapes Hagadark's grasp! As Mhuagra's words reach the creature, it is blinded, but it profits from the open path upwards and flies, strong and fast! It ascends some thirty feet, moving a bit forward as well, but not before being attacked on its flank by Hagadark, right beneath its wing! The beast seems to be weakening, bleeding profusely and with several burned scales. If the attacks continue, it knows it won't resist, and so it seems resolved to flee the battlefield, taking Morgrym with it!

"STOP THAT, BEASTS, OR I SHALL SLAY THE SMALL ONE HERE AND NOW!" - the wyvern threatens, closing its grasp on Morgrym!

[Well, the wyvern managed to escape, but it took a good deal of damage so far... It's blinded, but it still manages to move normally upwards, 30 feet up and 30 feet away - total of 60 feet for normal movement. I have considered several bonuses for Hagadark as well, in order to determine if it would be impeded, but it still rolled quite high]

Klutha slays yet another mage with a strike! Ho-og responds to the ray with a precise and destructive attack, leaving the body of his attacker to rot... Bloodthirsty, it advances towards another Yuan-ti, cutting the creature in half with a single strike! Around it, the unfortunate shots for the archers are sprung out, crowning the corpse left by the orc fighter.

The remaining mage is surrounded by dwarves and under Klutha's murderous shadow. It seems to know she'll kill him, and it attempts one last ray, rooting for it to kill her. Klutha escapes by the skin of her teeth and quickly responds, delivering a bestial strike that cuts the creature's head off!

Without any mages left, the orb of fire is dismissed. Now only the two warriors charge, both against Hagadark! Of all the attacks delivered in quick succession, only one hits the shaman, cutting deep on his back!

In the back, the warriors under Mhuagra's spell are openly fighting against one another!

[Ok, this one was a vigorous one! 8 points of damage. I took the liberty of redirecting Ho-og, since Klutha one-hitted AA15. Ho-og kills one mage with the OA Neurotic mentioned - I didn't see any rolls on @MetaVoid 's list, so I rolled - and I used his roll against the second closest mage. Klutha's OA brought the other down and now we have two standing warriors. The others are still confused. Next we have @Neurotic, @KahlessNestor and @Shayuri. Remember that you don't have much time! Next round the beast can go up another 60 feet, if no one stops it! Also, @KahlessNestor, you can try to break free while Hagadark holds the wyvern down. I guess it would make more sense than just allow your action to be rolled later on, since the grappling struggle would last for a few moments, at least. And I almost forgot: can you roll a wisdom test for me, please? :)]

MAP UPDATED

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZBfqlZpct8SZ7vh_U_nqispO67s2ZXLunqhdY4dnNwI/edit#gid=572290431

Last edited:

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
OOC: PF rules question. Isn't grab simply attack vs cmd? With Hagadark large, wyvern shouldn't have bonuses from size difference. I just like the image of great beast being pulled down like a bell. Oh, humiliation. I'd give it rage power immediately. :cool:
Marius cannot do anything at range, I'm going after the snakes.

I would like to see blind landing, but Mourgrym might not survive that :erm:

Archon Basileus

First Post
[Yeah, I considered that! It took me a while to number-crunch everything. I rolled CMB vs CMD, since it gave Hagadark the advantage (I also summed up attack, but this seemed to be the highest). Then I gave Hagadark strength bonuses equal to those of the wyvern and included an extra for his weight, took a bit of because of the spell, rolled the dice and... wyvern got a 19 against an 11 or so, if I recall correctly. I'm using normal dice. I think I'm gonna coyote these, so you guys can see the calculations and help me balance these things. And, on a personal note... I was rooting for Hagadark as well. It would have been a great scene! Nonetheless, this is going to make a great story as well, hehe. Now you got another decision to make, since, if cornered, the creature might turn desperate... :/ Or that's the the logical thing for the wyvern to do in such a situation.]

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
OOC: I simply meant that pf maneuver is not opposed roll, it is an attack against CMD.

Contest is from 3e. Thank you for explaining your reasoning and I totally agree this way is more epic.

That said, this is your game and I think wyvern should be hard to defeat. You have us an orc casting 7th level spells.
He could cast phantasmal killer few times and end it.

So, you did well whatever rules might say (I had to lookup the rules :)

Archon Basileus

First Post
[Hahaha! Yeah, I just looked at the rules as well! You're right. But I suspect even if I apply a roll against CMD/CMB with +5 for Hagadark the wyvern's still gonna break free - only by a ridiculously small margin, but he still free. The numbers will be lower than CMB plus ten plus roll, under any case. I really banked up on the fact that the creature might grapple and fly away. A wyvern has, for your char levels, a proportionally small amount of HP, so fighting wouldn't be the priority for it right now, specially since, upon death, it would seem it'd get stuck with the dagger. So the better course would be to distract with minions, grabbing the dwarf - the thing has an astounding bonus to perception and grapple - and fly away. I guess it has been designed to do this, in the end, and if it is so, it's really well done. As for the spellcaster, it serves to balance things a bit. The wyvern is... a bit stronger than usual. And this is not my game, it's OUR game, hehe! Feel free to point things out, present changes and mess around on a general basis. I constantly have to return to the books, since I often forget the rules. Thanks for helping out with it, by the way! I'm actually trying to exercise my memory with these games, partly. I just hope this doesn't put you guys off, of course. But thanks, again! :)]

Last edited:

OOC:
Normal wyvern has CMD 23 so this one has at least 26 since I rolled 25 :)
It will need to survive another blast before flying away.
[MENTION=24380]Neurotic[/MENTION], let the man tell the story

Hagadark roars in frustration before lowering down his arms and quickly pulling out his newest creation, powerful mix of fire and acid. Or at least he starts to before realizing the beast will fly away with the dwarf in he doesn't do anything smarter. Thus, he pulls out his most expensive weapon - same tanglefoot bag as before, but with added twist. The tar inside is specially prepared to burn on hit, just like a fire flask would.

The best they could hope for is entangled wyvern. The worst, it will burn as long as it is flying as it couldn't extinguish itself in the air.

OOC:
I just realized [MENTION=6801311]KahlessNestor[/MENTION] didn't post for this round. Or the last. His last post contains only the initiative. He might nuke it or kill it with the dagger or maybe control it with the dagger or teleport, free himself... ... ... whatever. [MENTION=6855545]Archon Basileus[/MENTION], we should wait for Mourgryms actions before fly-away happens. I will leave the above, but no rolls until we hear from Mourgrym. In the meantime, you could play Arvana and kill couple of snakes :)

Last edited:

Archon Basileus

First Post
[Hahaha! Come on, we're all telling the story here! :p And you got that right, his CMD is a bit higher than official ratings. I'm considering him to be older and stronger than the average beast for... Well, plot reasons, as you might imagine - after all, he did use the blade before it was hidden, ages ago. As for @KhalessNestor 's actions, I've got it covered. I left a reminder within the last post precisely because he hasn't acted yet, and he might free himself or try other actions. But from now on we gotta wait, indeed!]

Remove ads