Immortals Handbook - ASCENSION

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eversius

First Post
Sorry mate. Didn't realize you were working so hard to get both done. I'm guessing it's going to be one hell of a painting. :)

Anabstercorian

First Post
Possible transcendental effect: The cosmic ability Specular implies that when enemies harm you, they suffer the effects of the attack. A transcendental equivalent implies that, once an enemy harms you, your fate becomes theirs - henceforth, they suffer all damage you take, regardless of who inflicts it or when.

Oh I had an Idea, since I was looking and there wasn't too much Mage-stuff at the Transcendant tier other than Dead Zone, so heres a couple of mine:
Transintellectual (Su): Each round the Deity engages in spellcasting, he or she gains a +4 bonus to Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma, and his or her caster level increases by 2 plus the number of previous consecutive rounds spent spellcasting. These bonuses fade a number of rounds equal to divine rank after the deity ceases consecutive spellcasting.
Transdimentional, but virtual "mental" catagories.
or,
Perfect Spellcasting (Requires Caster level 130) (Su): The deity can never fail to break a foe's spell resistance, nor can a foe counter the deity's spells. (This seems a bit weak for transcendant, but too strong for cosmic, but whatever :))
heres one since Transcendant lacks a movement rate power other than through time -
Superliminal (Ex): The deity can fold space at will, without so much as a thought. It may reside in any location it so chooses at any moment, allowing the deity to avoid conventional forms of attack directed at it. Opposing Deities with the Superluminal ability may make a special opposed dexterity check to attack a deity evading attacks in this manner, though such an attack still suffers a 50% miss chance.
Speed of light? BAH the speed of thought is much faster :) If I were stating a Black Hole Golem, I would give it this, just because not even Light can escape a black hole, yet I can think about one, and then think about something else, so evidently Awareness is simply too fast. :)

Last edited:

Hiya mate! :)

So tired last night I slept in two hours. :eek:

Ltheb Silverfrond said:
True, it is for the best, I guess.

Simply nothing else I can do, I just have to make the best of a bad situation.

Ltheb Silverfrond said:
Awesome job on the transcendant abilities. My mind is beyond blown.

Well I don't know about that they are definately not finished yet, by any means.

Ltheb Silverfrond said:
Invincibility + Transendental Fortitude sounds like a killer, and I think Math-wise, it is better than Infinite Constitution. (Magic item wise, it is a +32 more than Infinite con alone, but since most beings will never get this, I dont see it as a problem)

Yes, I'll need to be careful with that combo and Elusion + Transilient Reflexes.

Ltheb Silverfrond said:
All of them seem fine for their power rating (Writups withstanding, any limits on the take-your -foes-powers type abilities? That may be the only thing that is "too strong")

I am sure there are some too weak and some too powerful. Those are not the final runs, although the Epic, Divine and Cosmic Abilities are about 95% finalised - in terms of what will comprise those lists.

Ltheb Silverfrond said:
Oh, did you decide on a CR/ECL multiplyer for the Transcendant + abilities? I think it was left at X2/X10, which sound about right after seeing some of them :)

x2/x10 is about right, but it does create a host of other problems (regarding ECL and items), which is why I still have not decided one way ofr the other.

Hey PL mate! :)

Phantom Llama said:
Hmm. Bad news on the volume front. Hopefully this won't end up degenerating into Beta Version 0.995.

I hope not, the last two updates have been problematic because of the Bestiary Cover, with that almost behind me I can concentrate on Ascension full time....so it may need a 1.2 to get everything including the art done (since its been two near squandered updates).

Phantom Llama said:
Onto the book itself:
Digestio + Transgenic + Transmortality = win-win situation.
Does Invincibility + Transilient Fortitude do what it looks like it does?

Yes I see a few combos including those which will need addressing.

Phantom Llama said:
Is the Helioedes template just an even more epic version of the Pseudonatural template?

Its a sort of template that turns the creature from a type of Cthulhu into a type of Azathoth (sun-like). ;)

Hi Eversius matey! :)

Eversius said:
Sorry mate.

No apologies necessary mate, I appreciate the enthusiasm.

Eversius said:
Didn't realize you were working so hard to get both done.

Not hard enough t'would seem. :eek:

Eversius said:
I'm guessing it's going to be one hell of a painting. :)

Best drawing and painting I ever did by a long shot (assuming I don't mess up the Seraphim today. :p

Still no Wayne Reynolds of course, but its a step closer, still only another 38 to go to reach his level.

Hey guys - thanks for the ideas! :cool:

Anabstercorian said:
Possible transcendental effect: The cosmic ability Specular implies that when enemies harm you, they suffer the effects of the attack. A transcendental equivalent implies that, once an enemy harms you, your fate becomes theirs - henceforth, they suffer all damage you take, regardless of who inflicts it or when.

There is a Specular based Transcendental power that affects everyone within your aura, but I like your idea too. Sounds 'fate' based, as if it entwines your fate with that of the opponent, although its a one way thing.

Ltheb Silverfrond said:
Oh I had an Idea, since I was looking and there wasn't too much Mage-stuff at the Transcendant tier other than Dead Zone, so heres a couple of mine:

There is not really much you can do for specific classes at the Transcendental point. I don't even think Quivering Aura is good enough, Unearthly Manyshot may be - I mean you could easily be shooting 100+ arrows per round.

That said, I am saving a lot of the spellcasting stuff for the grimoire - including abilities. ;)

Ltheb Silverfrond said:
Transintellectual (Su): Each round the Deity engages in spellcasting, he or she gains a +4 bonus to Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma, and his or her caster level increases by 2 plus the number of previous consecutive rounds spent spellcasting. These bonuses fade a number of rounds equal to divine rank after the deity ceases consecutive spellcasting.

Not sure about this, also it seems pretty weak, maybe suits better as a cosmic ability giving you +1 Level/round.

Even then you can see how prone it could be to abuse. :eek:

Ltheb Silverfrond said:
Transdimentional, but virtual "mental" catagories.
or,
Perfect Spellcasting (Requires Caster level 130) (Su): The deity can never fail to break a foe's spell resistance, nor can a foe counter the deity's spells. (This seems a bit weak for transcendant, but too strong for cosmic, but whatever :))

There are so many powers that are betwixt and between that its difficult to rate effectively.

Ltheb Silverfrond said:
heres one since Transcendant lacks a movement rate power other than through time -

Sounds Omnific.

Ltheb Silverfrond said:
Superliminal (Ex): The deity can fold space at will, without so much as a thought. It may reside in any location it so chooses at any moment, allowing the deity to avoid conventional forms of attack directed at it. Opposing Deities with the Superluminal ability may make a special opposed dexterity check to attack a deity evading attacks in this manner, though such an attack still suffers a 50% miss chance.
Speed of light? BAH the speed of thought is much faster :) If I were stating a Black Hole Golem, I would give it this, just because not even Light can escape a black hole, yet I can think about one, and then think about something else, so evidently Awareness is simply too fast. :)

Well Hawking radiation can escape a Black Hole. :p

U_K!
I have the solution to your ECL + ECL Multiplier problem! It occured to me as I was walking home carring 80 kg of soda :)
Simply apply an Order of Opperations to the ECL system. First, determine straight Effective Character Level, divine templates (But not items or multipliers) included. Then use that number to determine Items, then add all Item based ECL adjustments. THEN Add (add? Multiply?) All ECL multipliers to get thy divine ECL. Gives the highest ECL possible too, and doesn't affect item power with any paradox. (Though the Paradox power may be involved :))
As for Hawking Radiation - If memory serves me right (Dont have Universe in a Nutshell in front of me) Hawking Radiation had some property (Lack of mass or volume smaller than Planck Length, etc) that allowed for this, while simultaneously making it impossible to prove it exists. In game terms, it is definitely (Su) :).
I agree class feature-related powers get a little slim at the Transcendant level, simply because the human mind probobly can't imagine the increadible feats such classes would be capable of as their focus. I would imagine (Supremacy type powers asside) that such combat, if not fought with epic magic would be fought with divine blasts, Dragon Ball Z style, with barbarians entering rages so terrible, that the Akashic Records are torn asunder! (Well, maybe not, but pretty close to it)
With your [Effect] Enhancements, do they/could they apply to other things? Like the Striking effect, where the effect is channeled with melee attacks. If I apply, say, Ultima Effect, are my melee attacks also affected or just the other [Effect] I have linked to them?
Oh, a friend asked me to ask what the thematic basis for Create Legacy was. I love the power (Wish it worked like Create Greater Undead though) because it lets your Death Knight Villian hit the poor paladin soooooo hard that ghouls continuously spew from his chest! +100 coolness points in my book, but my friend just wanted to know how or where you think these things up :)

Last edited:

Hiya mate! :)

Ltheb Silverfrond said:
U_K!
I have the solution to your ECL + ECL Multiplier problem! It occured to me as I was walking home carring 80 kg of soda :)

I hope you brought enough for all of us!? :p

...seems you did.

By the way 80 kg! I'd be happy to bench that, you were carrying it home - I'm impressed, what are you, seven feet tall?

Ltheb Silverfrond said:
Simply apply an Order of Opperations to the ECL system. First, determine straight Effective Character Level, divine templates (But not items or multipliers) included. Then use that number to determine Items, then add all Item based ECL adjustments. THEN Add (add? Multiply?) All ECL multipliers to get thy divine ECL. Gives the highest ECL possible too, and doesn't affect item power with any paradox. (Though the Paradox power may be involved :))

I have ECL so interwoven with items that it makes this task a chore - even for me.

Then you have the quandary of - well what about the +36 CR bonus from transcendental abilities - if we start chucking those out the window we totally derail the current ECL/CR spreads of the high-ups.

Ltheb Silverfrond said:
As for Hawking Radiation - If memory serves me right (Dont have Universe in a Nutshell in front of me) Hawking Radiation had some property (Lack of mass or volume smaller than Planck Length, etc) that allowed for this, while simultaneously making it impossible to prove it exists. In game terms, it is definitely (Su) :).

Expect a Hawking Golem at some point in the future...it may have wheels like a Juggernaut. :p

Ltheb Silverfrond said:
I agree class feature-related powers get a little slim at the Transcendant level, simply because the human mind probobly can't imagine the increadible feats such classes would be capable of as their focus.

Creatures become more generic the higher they 'evolve'.

Ltheb Silverfrond said:
I would imagine (Supremacy type powers asside) that such combat, if not fought with epic magic would be fought with divine blasts, Dragon Ball Z style, with barbarians entering rages so terrible, that the Akashic Records are torn asunder! (Well, maybe not, but pretty close to it)

You can wrap any ability in a veil of flowery words but the bottom line is that it needs to have a mechanical benefit.

Ltheb Silverfrond said:
With your [Effect] Enhancements, do they/could they apply to other things? Like the Striking effect, where the effect is channeled with melee attacks. If I apply, say, Ultima Effect, are my melee attacks also affected or just the other [Effect] I have linked to them?

Base level just the effect you apply it to, however I think I'll have an effect mastery ability which will let you use any effect.

Probably:

- Effect
- Improved Effect, double power
- Greater Effect, triple power
- Perfect Effect, quodruple power
- Effect Mastery, use all effects (one at a time, or multiple powers simultaneously by dividing the dice amount).
- Uncanny Effect - for strange stuff

Ltheb Silverfrond said:
Oh, a friend asked me to ask what the thematic basis for Create Legacy was.

Well I either work from the point of view of the mechanics first, then create the name, or have the cool name and create the mechanics.

I already had Create Spawn and I wanted a Cosmic or Transcendental version of that. The obvious choice would be to simply up the power of the monster, but that sounds far more like a second or third divine ability rather than a Cosmic or Trans power.

So if you can't go up or down, you just have to go sideways, so instead of increasing the power of a single monster, you create more than one monster.

Ltheb Silverfrond said:
I love the power (Wish it worked like Create Greater Undead though) because it lets your Death Knight Villian hit the poor paladin soooooo hard that ghouls continuously spew from his chest!

I'll have some Create Spawn variants.

Ltheb Silverfrond said:
+100 coolness points in my book, but my friend just wanted to know how or where you think these things up :)

Gla you both liked it - coming up with cool stuff is my speciality. ;)

U_K!
Upper_Krust said:
Then you have the quandary of - well what about the +36 CR bonus from transcendental abilities - if we start chucking those out the window we totally derail the current ECL/CR spreads of the high-ups.
EDIT: In short, either the multiplyer goes First, providing the greatest range of CRs, or Last, provinding the largest level/perhaps most balanced play-wise CRs. (Everything would be an overestimate, so no accidental total party kills)
There should definitely be an order in which they are applied though, as unless this is stated, players will use either one of the above to maximize their Timelord-eating powers.
Perhaps the Multipliers would be best served as a *Special:...* Entry in the power's descrition, like :
Special: The Astro [Effect] Transcendant power incures a x2 level adjustment, applied after all other adjustments.
Oh and as for hauling all that Dr. Pepper - No, I am not Arnold or anything, a bit of a shrimp myself (But beware my ninja powers) and yes, it was darn heavy, and those stupid shoping bags rip no matter how many you use. My hands and arms still ache. Was worth it though, :) Got all the soda for the weekend, and at half off the only brand I like. :)
Heh, every time I ask I get a slightly confusing result :) (Thats when you know you have a big project :)) I Probobly sound like I am asking a different question, what I meant was If I took say, Ultima Effect, could I apply that to my Spellcasting, and throw auto-repeating deathspells? Or could I use it with, say, basic melee attacking, instead of applying it to flat basic dice based on HD. EX: Normally say I hit with my sword for 100 damage without using any powers. Could I apply Ultima Effect to my attack damage, so my foes take 100 damage each round?

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads