Immortals Handbook Epic Bestiary (now available)

Impeesa

Explorer
Gave it a read, haven't really absorbed enough to give a mechanical critique yet. Mechanics and flavor are of course very cool. I will say, however, that I'm glad there's still proofreading ahead. The writing seems quite intentionally Gygaxian, which is cool, but it's easy to accidentally cross from there to Siembiedian style. Complete sentences and all that. ;)

--Impeesa--

Fieari

Explorer
So, tommorow, we'll be able to fully stat up disciples and prophets... yay! I guess we'll be waiting until the 31st before we can fully stat up actual immortals fully...

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
Impeesa said:
The writing seems quite intentionally Gygaxian, which is cool, but it's easy to accidentally cross from there to Siembiedian style.

I'm not familiar with "Siembiedian" as an adjective. Who is it, and what did s/he write?

Hiya mate! :)

thundershot said:
Pics of the Autobots, as well as pics of several robot modes and movie toy prototypes.

Not sure if I like the Optimus Prime truck form myself.

thundershot said:
Seeing all of that made up for the fact that I'll have to wait until mid-September to see Thor kick ass in CIVIL WAR #4!

I know its an agonizing wait.

thundershot said:
I didn't think so. It was just weird that the ENShop said it was.

Listen to me not them. :p

thundershot said:
Yeah, I know. I was going to do some editing for you. I suppose I could continue the red-pen treatment on the copy I have now, and compare with the next one, and submit what I have to you. I'd love to help out! It's easy to miss things when you've got 10 things on your plate, and the meatballs are rolling away. :D

No worries mate.

thundershot said:
Better October than November, though, right? :D

I suppose the sooner the better for all concerned.

Hi Impeesa dude! :)

Impeesa said:
Gave it a read, haven't really absorbed enough to give a mechanical critique yet. Mechanics and flavor are of course very cool. I will say, however, that I'm glad there's still proofreading ahead. The writing seems quite intentionally Gygaxian, which is cool, but it's easy to accidentally cross from there to Siembiedian style. Complete sentences and all that. ;)

Writing is still early days. Once I have it all down I can go over it and tighten everything up, and the ink on the feats chapter wasn't dry when I uploaded it, so its very early.

I suspect tomorrow is going to be somewhat similar with regards the Divine and Cosmic abilities.

paradox42

First Post
Wow, I've finally gotten through the backlog! This is what happens when one moves and the cable company takes 12 days to turn on the new Internet connection- 5 pages of new posts to slog through!

I, too, have finally downloaded and read through the first Ascension beta release. Perhaps I should keep comments until tomorrow when I'll have a whole new release to read through, but I wanted to add my kudos to the pile for the Event System- brilliant design. The math is easy to work out, and the system becomes particularly easy to use with Poilbrun's helpful little spreadsheet (thanks for that!). I've already started going back through my group's old adventures to see where Events have given them some worshipful followers- not only because I fully expect my players to shoot for divinity someday, but also because it'll help me quantify just how much they've helped the gods they've done quests for (knowingly or otherwise). One minor difficulty may be determining what might happen if an event affects multiple planes of existence at the same time, but it should be possible to extrapolate from existing rules and examples. In any case the system itself seems remarkably smooth and robust to me- excellent design.

The divinity templates will require tweaking to fit my game, but that's largely because my core assumptions about divine beings don't entirely match U_K's- specifically, my HD assumptions by divine rank are much higher (my demigods, for example, are assumed to have at least 120 HD in their true forms, whereas Greater Deities typically have 400 or more). While I had rules in previous versions of the game for beings beyond the level of actual deities (those U_K calles Sidereals, Eternals, and so on), I hadn't detailed them to the extent that U_K has, which makes Ascension quite helpful in that regard. Though the flavor of the Ascension rules doesn't quite match my own notions, new ideas have been sparked, and new connections between concepts made which can only improve the whole. In any case since U_K showed his reasoning behind the existing templates, it shouldn't be difficult to work out changes.

Thank you for all the dedicated research and work, U_K- we all appreciate it!

Feats... I have some favorites and antifavorites, but I think it's best to hold off on that until after tomorrow's update since that sections getting a major update anyway. :) Some of my own concerns were, predictably, already addressed- as I said, this is what happens when the cable company drags its feet for so long. I'll refrain from growling on the boards. :D

Hey paradox42 matey! :)

paradox42 said:
Wow, I've finally gotten through the backlog! This is what happens when one moves and the cable company takes 12 days to turn on the new Internet connection- 5 pages of new posts to slog through!

:D

paradox42 said:
I, too, have finally downloaded and read through the first Ascension beta release. Perhaps I should keep comments until tomorrow when I'll have a whole new release to read through,

Okay.

paradox42 said:
but I wanted to add my kudos to the pile for the Event System- brilliant design.

Thanks. :)

paradox42 said:
The math is easy to work out, and the system becomes particularly easy to use with Poilbrun's helpful little spreadsheet (thanks for that!). I've already started going back through my group's old adventures to see where Events have given them some worshipful followers- not only because I fully expect my players to shoot for divinity someday, but also because it'll help me quantify just how much they've helped the gods they've done quests for (knowingly or otherwise).

So its doubly useful.

paradox42 said:
One minor difficulty may be determining what might happen if an event affects multiple planes of existence at the same time, but it should be possible to extrapolate from existing rules and examples.

Should be pretty straightforward if you just follow the guidelines.

paradox42 said:
In any case the system itself seems remarkably smooth and robust to me- excellent design.

Thanks - that was the idea of course. ;)

paradox42 said:
The divinity templates will require tweaking to fit my game, but that's largely because my core assumptions about divine beings don't entirely match U_K's- specifically,

Even I can't please all the people all of the time. :uhoh:

paradox42 said:
my HD assumptions by divine rank are much higher (my demigods, for example, are assumed to have at least 120 HD in their true forms, whereas Greater Deities typically have 400 or more).

Well I am sure certain people will have their own methods, although my versions are designed to maintain as much interaction as possible (between mortals, immortals and each divine status) while at the same time making sure each divine status is a tangible increase and not just a token one. Roughly speaking each Divine Status is worth two beings of the previous status.

paradox42 said:
While I had rules in previous versions of the game for beings beyond the level of actual deities (those U_K calles Sidereals, Eternals, and so on), I hadn't detailed them to the extent that U_K has, which makes Ascension quite helpful in that regard.

Glad you are still getting use out of them.

Of course what you could do is exchange my Elder Ones for your Demigods, Lesser Gods for Old Ones etc. Since that seems to better parallel your Hit Dice at least.

paradox42 said:
Though the flavor of the Ascension rules doesn't quite match my own notions,

Wait until I have things finished. I'd love to have the time to go over ever paragraph and add in something from the fifty notebooks of ideas I have scribbled down. But at the moment I am pressed for time getting the bare bones down.

paradox42 said:
new ideas have been sparked, and new connections between concepts made which can only improve the whole. In any case since U_K showed his reasoning behind the existing templates, it shouldn't be difficult to work out changes.

Thank you for all the dedicated research and work, U_K- we all appreciate it!

If people are enjoying it (even at this early stage) then it makes all the effort worthwhile.

paradox42 said:
Feats... I have some favorites and antifavorites, but I think it's best to hold off on that until after tomorrow's update since that sections getting a major update anyway. :) Some of my own concerns were, predictably, already addressed- as I said, this is what happens when the cable company drags its feet for so long. I'll refrain from growling on the boards. :D

Well I doubt I'll have the epic feats section 'finished' but there are indeed changes.

Remove ads