In The Tall Dark Pines: A Tale of Braxus

ferretguy

First Post
Jackson lvl 1 fighter

"Being off the trail would interfere with my swing, I'll await here" Jackson growls awaiting the ravens return.

scadgrad

First Post
Dm

OOC_Not sure if Nameless has dropped out or not since he's not posted in about 2 weeks. I'll run him in NPC mode for a while I guess...

Nevermore returns to William's shoulder without incident. From his limited ability to convey exactly what he has seen (Core RB I p 53), you can only guess at the hidden threat. You get a sense that there are mutiple figures hiding among the trees ahead, perhaps as many as 6 or so. They seem agitated at the very least, but what they are is anyone's guess.

Scathach raises his voice toward the woods ahead_"Amyltyh'n nor fion do Scathach. Harryr go shoonath an' danni yaryth."

There is a bit of silence in response to his words, and then a gruff sounding male voice answers back in the ancient tongue of the fae. The hidden voice seems loud, even boisterous. Hearing the reply, Scathach quips a quick retort, an impish smile forming on his delicate face.

"Does anyone have any wine? It's either that or Jackson or the Northman should avail themselves of a solid length of oak. I suspect our rowdy friends ahead might be playing the part of paramours and wish to display their masculinity. They are Seelie court kin, but so far removed from the court that they seem disinclined to observe the proper etiquette. Of course I would give them satisfaction myself, but these rustics are beneath my station."

The sidhe pauses for a moment, and then replies again in his native tongue. Another brief exchange with the hidden belligerents and the sidhe sets his thin lips and shakes his head. "They seem pretty emphatic. We could retreat I suppose, but bribing them with strong drink or having a go at quarterstaffs seems our only other option short of slaying them outright, which isn't really an option. I would wager that the speaker is a faun, but who or what their champion might be is beyond me."

purple knight

First Post
Quazeem, Human Monk 1

Alas, I do not have wine upon my person. I doubt I am as skilled as Barri or Jackson here, but I do have some limited training with a quarterstaff.

Drakknyte32

First Post
OOC: I think you missed one of the raven familiars special abilities. In addition to a +3 to appraise checks (which I forgot about actually) they get the ability to speak one language of it's master's choice as a supernatural ability, Nevermore's language is common. That's how nevermore has been talking to everyone so far :) .

IC:
"No wine I'm afraid, I can't afford it. And I have only the barest training with a quarterstaff."

ferretguy

First Post
Jackson level 1 fighter

"Although it is not my weapon of choice I can use a quarterstaff as well as any, especially if is our only way to get past...damn...would rather get past with wine, alot more of a friendly way to do it..."Jackson smiles "Hmm, beating their pick may get me a pick of the fey woman...sounds fun"

johnsemlak

First Post
Timur Human Rogue

"Hmm, I drank the last of my booz in in town; didn't bring any along. Too bad, I could use a drink myself right now."

Last edited:

purple knight

First Post
Quazeem, Human Monk 1

Quazeem, smiling sarcasticly: Well, I think we have learned a valuable lesson here. Next time we go out, we need to worry more with wine and less with the trifle things like weapons and armor.

scadgrad

First Post
OOC_You're absolutely right Drakknyte 32. By the Gods, the bird can talk! I missed that small line of copy w/ the subscripts. Plus, I don't think anyone has ever chose a familiar in my campaigns other than the ubiquitous Toad. ;)

Thanks for pointing that out. To clarify things Nevermore would have seen 4 creatures w/ shaggy fur on their legs & cloven hooves where their feet should be. They were trying to remain hidden, but raven's have very acute eyesight ;)

Barri and Jackson search around the surrounding woods and quickly find a suitable looking tree. A few swift blows from the hudan axe and some trim work with Jackson's knife yields a very formidable looking quarterstaff.

Jackson gives it a few test swings as the party advances toward the spring. The woods become more clear as you proceed, and before you a small waterful spills into a pool of water perhaps 45 feet across. It appears to be quite deep. The pool narrows at a point some 30 yards from the small waterfall and the stream continues over small boulders winding its way deeper into the forest.

Between you and the spring is a rather nasty looking creature, clearly a faun or satyr as they are named by some. He gestures in a menacing fashion with his staff and shouts out an unintelligible challenge in the fey tongue. There are 3 other creature standing nearby, one of them drinking liberally from a wineskin. The drinker casually cuffs one of his fellows in the face, apparently refusing to share the contents of the wineskin. You see no sign of the source of the female voices that you heard earlier.

Jackson strides boldly forward to meet his inebriated opponent. The creature flashes a wicked-looking grin, looks over both of his shoulders and lowers his staff to his side. Pointing to his beared chin he grunts, "Imb'nyrryth agyll scallfyr."

OOC_Jackson it would appear that you have the initiative. What is you current HPs?

ferretguy

First Post
OOC: well takin' a look at whats gone on in the past Jackson's still at full (12 hit points) with an AC:15 without his shield.. Attack bonus with quarterstaff...+3

Jackson comes walking toward the hairy fey creature, twirling the staff with both hands "So Scathach, what did he say? Also convey to my opponent that the large welts I'll leave on his head may help his appearance, it definitly can't hurt..."

purple knight

First Post
Quazeem, Human Monk 1

As Jackson prepares to fight, Quazeem is going to keep an eye on the remaining Satyrs. His focus will be on them rather than the fight between Jackson and thier champion.

OOC: Go get 'im Jackson.

Remove ads