Independence Day: Resurgence

ccs

41st lv DM
lol, I haven't seen one vote of confidence in any trailer that has been recently posted, that's what I'm referring to. I know some of the hate is automatic ( Micheal Bay) but have we just given up on the idea that Hollywood can make a good movie?

No, I'm sure they can make good movies. They do it a lot.
Thing is they (mostly) invest that effort in stuff I'm not likely to watch - because I go to the movies to be entertained. I want to see action, aliens, & stuff that's not possible without big F/X budgets. Sometimes a comedy or two.
The holy grail is a good movie involving action, aliens, stuff that requires a big F/X budget, etc. And yes, every now-&-then something comes along that is better than most in this category, but all too often a C+ ceiling has to suffice.... I think it's just the natural limit of the genre.

Ryujin

Legend
No, I'm sure they can make good movies. They do it a lot.
Thing is they (mostly) invest that effort in stuff I'm not likely to watch - because I go to the movies to be entertained. I want to see action, aliens, & stuff that's not possible without big F/X budgets. Sometimes a comedy or two.
The holy grail is a good movie involving action, aliens, stuff that requires a big F/X budget, etc. And yes, every now-&-then something comes along that is better than most in this category, but all too often a C+ ceiling has to suffice.... I think it's just the natural limit of the genre.

Given that the usual recommendation for writers seems to be to aim at a 6th or 7th grade education level, for comprehension, a C+ grade for movies doesn't seem all that out of place.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
lol, I haven't seen one vote of confidence in any trailer that has been recently posted, that's what I'm referring to. I know some of the hate is automatic ( Micheal Bay) but have we just given up on the idea that Hollywood can make a good movie?

considering that Mad Max Fury Road got nominated for the Best Movie of the year, I'm thinking that we've just had a really bad year when it comes to Sci-Fantasy movies such as tend to get posted to Enworld - albeit that the genre itself tends not to generate lots of great art anyway

Remove ads