• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Independence Day: Resurgence

ccs

41st lv DM
lol, I haven't seen one vote of confidence in any trailer that has been recently posted, that's what I'm referring to. I know some of the hate is automatic ( Micheal Bay) but have we just given up on the idea that Hollywood can make a good movie?

No, I'm sure they can make good movies. They do it a lot.
Thing is they (mostly) invest that effort in stuff I'm not likely to watch - because I go to the movies to be entertained. I want to see action, aliens, & stuff that's not possible without big F/X budgets. Sometimes a comedy or two.
The holy grail is a good movie involving action, aliens, stuff that requires a big F/X budget, etc. And yes, every now-&-then something comes along that is better than most in this category, but all too often a C+ ceiling has to suffice.... I think it's just the natural limit of the genre.

Ryujin

Legend
No, I'm sure they can make good movies. They do it a lot.
Thing is they (mostly) invest that effort in stuff I'm not likely to watch - because I go to the movies to be entertained. I want to see action, aliens, & stuff that's not possible without big F/X budgets. Sometimes a comedy or two.
The holy grail is a good movie involving action, aliens, stuff that requires a big F/X budget, etc. And yes, every now-&-then something comes along that is better than most in this category, but all too often a C+ ceiling has to suffice.... I think it's just the natural limit of the genre.

Given that the usual recommendation for writers seems to be to aim at a 6th or 7th grade education level, for comprehension, a C+ grade for movies doesn't seem all that out of place.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
lol, I haven't seen one vote of confidence in any trailer that has been recently posted, that's what I'm referring to. I know some of the hate is automatic ( Micheal Bay) but have we just given up on the idea that Hollywood can make a good movie?

considering that Mad Max Fury Road got nominated for the Best Movie of the year, I'm thinking that we've just had a really bad year when it comes to Sci-Fantasy movies such as tend to get posted to Enworld - albeit that the genre itself tends not to generate lots of great art anyway

Remove ads