• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Insight's Secret Wars OOC Thread

jkason

First Post
Swore I posted this, which probably means I put it in the wrong thread somewhere. Ack. Anyway, couldn't find gestalt rules in 3e, so tossed my 'twins combining' concept and went with this, which is still fun:

Gail Knight was an empathetic nurse who loved and was good at her job. When she found a magical amulet called The Sound Stone, however, she did what any good citizen in a world full of super-types would do: she put on fishnets and a mask and fought crime.

As Nightengale, she used an array of sonic abilites from an ear-piercing screech to the more subtle vocal modulation that left weaker-willed villains in her hypnotic thrall. She made a solid name for herself, and only retired briefly when she and her husband were expecting their child.

Galen was a perfectly healthy little boy, unaware of his mother's double life, until at the age of ten, in the midst of a temper tantrum, he let loose a concussive sonic shout that tore a hole in the side of the house. It seems in utero exposure to the magical energies of the Sound Stone had given Galen innate abilities of his own.

Gail couldn't keep her secret life secret any longer, and began training Galen to control his powers. Whether due to learning them so young or because his powers were a part of him, Galen even learned some tricks his mother didn't know. He channeled the force of his sonics to gain lift and accelleration, and eventually manipulated sound into 'solid sound' constructs.

Now, his mother enjoying her retirement, Galen adventures as the new Nightengale, but while he's proud to help people with his powers, he is getting a bit tired of always hearing "I thought you were a girl?"

hero4hire

Explorer
I had an idea of a character named Ricochet that I thought about submitting; he had repulsion powers that would be based around Deflect. But I think it might be too similar mechanically to Inertia (even if the descriptors would be different).

Edit: Just for the heck of it here he is.

Ricochet - PL 10
Ricochet.jpg

Strength 3, Stamina 5, Agility 4, Dexterity 4, Fighting 4, Intellect 2, Awareness 5, Presence 0

Advantages
Daze (Deception), Evasion 2, Fearless, Improved Defense, Redirect, Takedown 2, Taunt, Ultimate Effort: Defend, Uncanny Dodge

Skills
Acrobatics 1 (+5), Athletics 2 (+5), Deception 15 (+15), Sleight of Hand 10 (+14), Stealth 8 (+12), Technology 12 (+14)

Powers
Deflection: Enhanced Trait 19 (Traits: Dodge +6 (+10), Parry +6 (+10), Toughness +5 (+10), Advantages: Evasion 2)
Reflection: Deflect 10 (Accurate 3: +6, Redirection, Reflect, Ricochet 2: 2 bounces, Split: 2 targets; Reduced Range: close)
. . Repulsion: Move Object 10 (Alternate; 25 tons, DC 25; Accurate 3: +6, Damaging, Ricochet 2: 2 bounces, Split: 2 targets, Throwing Mastery 10; Limited Direction: Away, Reduced Range: close)
Repulse Gravity: Leaping 7 (Leap 900 feet at 250 miles/hour)

Offense
Initiative +4
Grab, +4 (DC Spec 13)
Repulsion: Move Object 10, +10 (DC 25)
Throw, +4 (DC 18)
Unarmed, +4 (DC 18)

Complications
Motivation: Responsibility: Rick is trying to live up to the ideals of his predecessor the original Ricochet.
Secret: Shady Past. Rick was a former criminal and con-artist.

Languages
Native Language

Defense
Dodge 10/4, Parry 10/4, Fortitude 10, Toughness 10/5, Will 10

Power Points
Abilities 54 + Powers 53 + Advantages 9 + Skills 24 (48 ranks) + Defenses 10 = 150

Background
Richard Tech was an aspiring burglar and con-artist. While robbing the laboratory of the Dr. Derek O'Shea aka the original Ricochet, Rick accidentally activated a "mento-intensifier" machine similar to the one that gave the hero his powers. Rick developed powerful psychokinetic abilities. Perhaps even vaster than the original Ricochet's, but had no control over them. They manifested as a repulsion field that threatened to grow so powerful it would push food, air, even light itself away. O'Shea found Tech and saved his life and not only taught him a measure of control over his powers but the responsibility of them as well. When O'Shea retired, he passed along to Rick not only the name Ricochet but the mantle of hero.

Hero Lab® and the Hero Lab logo are Registered Trademarks of LWD Technology, Inc. Free download at http://www.wolflair.com
Mutants & Masterminds, Third Edition is ©2010-2011 Green Ronin Publishing, LLC. All rights reserved.

NOTES:
ORIGIN: Accidental
SOURCE: Psionic
MEDIUM: Telekinetic

Last edited:

Walking Dad

First Post
Is anyone here a photo-shop (or similar) wizard and can change the attached pic for me? Skin grey-white and eyes and red costume stuff lime.

If possible erasing the red "x" part below the arms to let it look more like a V.

Edit: done. Thanks Thanee!!

Last edited:

Jemal

Adventurer
Actually, Ricochet doesn't look very similar to what I'd envisioned for Inertia. He doesn't affect the movement of outside things, he has control over his OWN inertia, making it highly disproportionate to his mass, kind of like a cross between the immovable object and the irresistible force. Think The Juggernaut with less physical force but more speed.

Inertia is more similar to Blitz than Ricochet, though a slower/tougher variant. He's a tough speedster who's primary attack form would be building up speed and then slamming his target (My first working name for him was 'battering ram').

I'd like to try him out, but I'll probably end up going with Optic to avoid the similarities to other speedster, and b/c Optic is a more useful 'support' character (Assuming of course this campaign has room for such.. not sure how much of the 'battleworld' will be straight combat, and/or how much tech/support roles there will be.)

Either way he's not going to be too similar to Ricochet, though the two might work well together (Maybe a combo attack where Inertia slams into Ricochet only to be hurled at the bad guy at enhanced ricochet speed? Variant Fastball Special?)

EDIT: Actually upon thinking about that more, they could make a very interesting motion/science-based hero duo. What do you think, H4H?

Last edited:

Jemal

Adventurer
plant controller on an alien battlefield. Lets hope that's not a nonstarter. ;)
Lol, wonder how her and Optic'd get along - The hippy and the Techie both removed from their elements. :)

Remove ads