D&D 5E [INTEREST CHECK] The Curse of Amberstar

Archon Basileus

First Post
You heard two dragging noises, yes, but nothing can be seen past the tendril mess that clogs the shaft now.

As for the floors, here's the thing: you've found the Thing at Layer +2, the top floor reachable by the round elevator (notice that the elevator area in +3 is faint; it does not reach that floor, but the lay lines serve to explain how the floors stack). You've found the golems at Layer +1 (this being the area available for you to jump on right now). You can go down all the way back to Layer 0, the one where you met Amberilan. Or you can go even lower by jumping down (supposedly the Teraphim climbed from lower strata beneath Layer 0). The captain seems to prefer Layer +1 right now (the golem layer). Check the round drawings for further clarification. Or ask me more questions! :)

Floor order would go somewhat like this (you are now at the red-colored layers):

+3
+2 Thing
+1 Golems

0 Entrance (where Amberilan first showed up, where you faced the orcs, the voice...)
(?)
MAP

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1qdENqsDJNoZufSFFkU1y9xd9nK-119mUXmlMVo0s8Nk/edit

Last edited:

Archon Basileus

First Post
Hey, guys!

So, we've had a week of downtime at our game, and I feel I sort of threw you off with the way I conducted things so far. Sorry about that, this is my first 5e game (ooops.).

I have a few solutions, based on what I've learned so far, though.

1) Elevator scene: I should have learned by now that group decisions are difficult in this gameplay setup (it's the second time the game halts because I push you into such situations). I can resolve it by pulling you guys into the next scene with a quick resolution, based on the choices you announced so far and the group's general behavior up until this point. I can also roll a die to resolve it - side or down - and move on from there. I know, stupid me didn't even give enough info for you to make a proper choice, so... Anyway, we can solve it easily.

2) General confusion - I thought it would be easier to just build the dungeon and lure characters in. Silly me didn't notice how complex the characters are, and for the most part this created confusion - as you mentioned a couple of times, in fact. You'd need time to roleplay within the environment in order to ground the characters, and I've shook you through a series of conflicts and moving scenes - pretty much like a bad flick. Sorry about that. We can solve it by moving towards the next scene. You met the Teraphim now, and there's plenty of opportunities to roleplay as you flash out your own stories and uncover a bit of the scenario you're in. I think we could go into this scene making it's objective to solidify each character purpose within this scenario (something already placed within the BG posts, but never fully brought to life thanks to your clumsy DM... Sorry about that as well).

As we go, I intend to flash out several other things that have been buried so far - one at a time. I had forgotten how posting pace goes, but I'm getting the hang of it back again and I'm confident that I can offer a better experience from now on. Also, I've got some time and I've been re-reading all rulebooks - from pathfinder to 5e - to reform some of the ideas I've placed in our planed paths.

That being said, I'd like to ask of you:

a) Do you guys want to go on with the campaign?

b) Do you see any problems you want addressed, beyond those already pointed out?

We can also restart everything as an alternative, although I think it's perfectly possible to fix the problems so far, if you guys choose to continue. :)

So, what do you guys think?

Thanks!

P.S.: I really want to do the best I can for you, guys. You've been an amazing group and, even if you don't realize, you've helped me through a lot. As I told [MENTION=24380]Neurotic[/MENTION], I consider you my friends, first and foremost, and I feel safe to screw up and try to learn around you, from you and for you. In fact, I barely play for the game anymore - I play to have a chance to write with you guys, nowadays, games being a way to share your companies. So, please, tell me anything you want, if you want, of course. :)
[MENTION=24380]Neurotic[/MENTION] [MENTION=6855102]Greenmtn[/MENTION] [MENTION=23298]industrygothica[/MENTION] [MENTION=6776182]JustinCase[/MENTION] [MENTION=4936]Shayuri[/MENTION]

Shayuri

First Post
Okay! A lot to unpack here, but here goes:

1) Elevator scene: I should have learned by now that group decisions are difficult in this gameplay setup (it's the second time the game halts because I push you into such situations).

I've noticed that PBP games very frequently lock up when there's a very stark, vital choice to be made and no one in the group wants to be the one to make that choice. Everyone waits to see what someone else will do first, and that means no one does anything. I don't know if it's a question of it being a group decision (that can be an issue too, but the symptoms are different) as much as it being a very IMPORTANT decision, with seemingly grave consequences for the 'wrong' choice, that no one wants to be the one to shoulder the blame for if it all goes wrong.

2) General confusion - I thought it would be easier to just build the dungeon and lure characters in. Silly me didn't notice how complex the characters are, and for the most part this created confusion - as you mentioned a couple of times, in fact.

I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I don't attribute my confusion directly to the dungeon or whatnot. Quite a bit of it is my own fault. Enough real-world time passes that I sometimes forget what the heck we're actually doing...and then I can't be bothered to look back who-knows-how-many pages and try to figure out where the part where we figured it out before was. So I just wing it, and often that makes things worse. :)

That being said, I'd like to ask of you:

a) Do you guys want to go on with the campaign?

I'd like to, yes.

b) Do you see any problems you want addressed, beyond those already pointed out?

I find myself...nebulous...on what our party goal is in this dungeon. This is a consequence of the 'confusion' process I mentioned above. Though our characters have been at this a relatively short time, it's been...a very long time for the players.

Fortunately, once we navigate the tentacle thing and get somewhere we can slow down and talk for a bit, that'd be a perfect time and place to sort of recap what's going on and who we are and why we're here and all that.

We can also restart everything as an alternative, although I think it's perfectly possible to fix the problems so far, if you guys choose to continue.

Personally I'd prefer not to restart unless it's the only option. Starting all over again after investing this much time into it is unpalatable. :(

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
I'd like to continue too.
I refrained from jumping out of the elevator so I'm not seen as forcing the group into something without at least 'i don't care ' since with Thulwar and Tink comes Lyllie

No restart please.

Archon Basileus

First Post
So far we share feelings on a reset. I'm personally against it as well. It kills the momentum. And thus far you guys confirmed my suspicions... decision-making has to be shifted in pbp at the very least. I take it that no one would like to trample someone else's choice - virtual table courtesy. :)

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
I completely agree with Shayuri, in that lack of OOC momentum makes it difficult to get the IC moving again, and that nobody wants to make the bad decision. Being very new to PbP DM-ing myself, I do not have a solution but I think that sometimes it's okay to propose a certain course of action, so that if the group doesn't want to, it can make another decision.

I am having far too much fun with Aanzu to restart from scratch. And very curious about the course the mystery woman has put him on, and translating what that means to a dragonborn mindset... :)

Archon Basileus

First Post
That's the point. I feel this game is quite fun as well!

So, since I already have three votes out of five, I'll just do what I think would be most appropriate. I'll close the scene based on the tests you guys gave me, forwarding the decision with what I felt everyone would be inclined to do. Then we can proceed to a more orderly form of play!

Thanks, guys!

Remove ads