[Iron Heroes] A Saga of Might - OOC (Re-recruiting)

Walking Dad

First Post
Could I take the Axe Mastery 1 feat at 2nd level? It is from the official player's companion:

Base Mastery: 1
Prerequisite: You gain the benefits of this feat only when
fighting with a weapon that has the axe or pick descriptor
and with which you are proficient.
Benefit: You are adept at smashing your way through an
opponent’s armor. You apply a –2 penalty on your opponents’
armor damage reduction rolls. This penalty may reduce the
damage reduction to 0, but not below 0.

Dr Simon

Explorer
It's a Power Mastery feat, so yes, you're eligible. Looks like Olmar has taken to that pick-axe!

(I now have the IH player's companion, and on a side note I've filled in most of my gaps in 3.5 products, certainly the Complete series, Races Of series, environmental books, PHB2 etc. etc.)

Dr Simon

Explorer
As of mid-week, I'll be away until the beginning of September.

You've pretty much got the Conch on the ropes now, and this particular adventure is drawing to a close. By the time its done, your characters will have reached 3rd level (assuming something drastic doesn't happen and they die suddenly :devil:), so start thinking about what advances you want to make.

Also, have a think about where to go next. It seems that the main campaign goal is to (a) get to civilisation and (b) for Xoria to deal with the usurpers who sold her to the Ur-Men. Other side goals may have presented themselves. However, I'm going to stretch things out a bit longer.

I've got a pretty sizeable collection of White Dwarf mags from the 70s and 80s; also issues of the Tortured Souls fanzine, which both include some pretty good "retro" scenarios with a strong Swords 'n' Sorcery feel. I've got a couple of potential ones to run next - have a think about which you'd prefer.

The Black Hawk, from Tortured Souls, is more sea-faring, with island-hopping, pirates, ruined temples etc. It's very open-ended so it could go any direction depending on the interaction with various factions, etc.

The Halls of Tizun Thane, from White Dwarf, is a classic, more of a dungeon crawl (but very stylish), with a strong feel of the Dying Earth stories. It centres on the mansion of a vanished wizard and could potentially end up with a base of operations for the characters. Again, it's very open ended with various factions at play.

I'm happy with either; they're both scenarios I've been itching to run for years, and we could conceivably end up playing both, depending on how the first one runs.

Walking Dad

First Post
The Halls of Tizun Thane sounds like fun. Olmar could also look for other tribe members from his village, but his closest family is already gone anyway.

mfloyd3

Explorer
Sorry for the delay responding, I hadn't noticed the update here.

Either adventure sounds interesting. To clarify Xoria's current thinking, she knows that she needs cash and followers to deal with Baron Corran, who (if he is importing shiploads of exotic animals to entertain the crowds) seems to have obtained a position of wealth and strength and is building on it. She is a little hesitant to return to Zor at this point, because if she is recognized she is very vulnerable, but since that is where the ship is headed (and it was her only route of escape) she has little choice. If she were presented with an opportunity to go elsewhere and gain wealth or power, she would likely take it. She knows that Corran has surely made enemies in Zor, and if she returns with something to offer she can hope to recruit them as allies.

She is also ready, at this point, to reveal her identity and history to Olmar and Vela (though they have probably already guessed quite a bit). She is not sure they will help her, and knows enough about each to know that they are unlikely to be motivated by promises of wealth.

I need to give some thought to Xoria's advancement. Third level for Arcanists gets them their third spellcasting pool, among other nifty stuff.

Dr Simon

Explorer
That's about what I thought might be the case. I'll probably throw various old-style adventures in the way whilst also providing for any player character ambitions, which should give a good mix.

Noticed an odd anomoly about 3rd level IH characters - most get an increase in levels of Feat Mastery, but apart from a few classes with bonus feats you don't get an actual feat (which are every even level rather than every 3rd). So the potential increases, but you get nothing concrete to back it up!

Dr Simon

Explorer
Could be, I guess. It just feels a bit like an un-polished detail. Well, no matter.

I noticed a while back, BTW, Olmar should have another berserker ability - berserkers start off with two; one of mind, speed and strength, and one other.

Dr Simon

Explorer
Don't forget to update to Level 3. Judging by the timestamps in the Rogue's Gallery it's been a year real time since you last went up a level!

I'm opening recruiting for a 4th player as well, if anyone is interested, just to shake things up a bit.

Remove ads