Is a retro-clone the right game for me?

Derulbaskul

Adventurer
(snip) I'd recommend OP check out Swords & Wizardry or Microlite 20. Swords & Wizardry is probably more different that what you think about, when you think "D&D", than any of the other clones. It has kind of a unique dark, pulp Swords & Sorcery vibe that you don't get as strongly in other rulesets, and makes an excellent "pinboard" for your own houserules and modifications.

I'm also loving Swords & Wizardry. It's much closer to how I would want to run 1E again, although it is actually an OE clone.

It also has an enormous advantage for house rules: the rules are available as a Word document so you can simply insert your house rules before printing off the book.

While I'm really enjoying 4E, I suspect I will be giving S&W a spin very soon just to scratch that "simpler rules" itch.

Mythmere1

First Post
First off, all the various retro-clones are pretty similar - they work off different editions that were themselves quite similar.

For simplicity, I'd say you're looking at one of three: Swords & Wizardry, Labyrinth Lord, and BFRPG. The latter two BOTH work from Moldvay Basic; LL is a very close clone, and BFRPG inserts some more modern mechanisms, plus tweaks.

I would just read them (each has a free pdf), and see what kind of vibe you get. Each one is supported with various modules, and each one has a messageboard to visit. The one for Swords & Wizardry is at Swords & Wizardry Forums • Index page - I can't remember if BFRPG has a specific forum (there is definitely a website) - check in the simulacrum games forum over at Dragonsfoot...

Then think to yourself whether the game supports a "campaign feel" or if you'd feel limited by it. Swords & Wizardry lets you (or forces you, depending on the viewpoint) to do some imagining about the campaign. Labyrinth Lord tends to provide you with a bit more crunch/guidance in that regard (IMO). I don't remember well enough to say where BFRPG comes down in that area.

Most of the modules for any of those three games are highly compatible, so you aren't foreclosing many options with the choice of rules.

I recommend Swords & Wizardry (but I wrote it, so apply the "grain of salt" test on that). We'd be glad to see you at the forums, if you want to stop by!
Matt

Aplus

First Post
This is one of the best threads I've ever read here. Thanks for introducing me to so much awesomeness I never even knew existed!

Why not give the originals a spin?

DUNGEON MASTERS GUIDE - $3.98.

PLAYERS HANDBOOK - $1.46

MONSTER MANUAL - $4.98

So, about $15 after shipping gives you all three AD&D rulebooks; most of the classic modules can be had for a pittance, too.

Well in part because, as I said before, I live in New Zealand so international shipping (if available to here) is usually a killer on the cost, plus the exchange rate, plus the fact that I'd prefer electronic instead of physical, plus the fact that I'm not interested in just buying a game without a good reason ("I happen to have cash" isn't a good reason to me when I've got free options and other systems I could convert to instead).

I have to say, I'm a bit surprised at how extensive the whole retro-clone community seems to be. Unfortunately, it looks like (as usual) I'm not really a good match for it. An awful lot of what I see folks talking about has limited appeal to me. Still some pretty groovy stuff and a great example of what I think rpgs should be all about.

I still haven't settled on a system at this point, but Dark Dungeons seems to be interesting. Still need to check out S&W though.

pming

Legend
Hiya.

Well, looks like nobody mentioned it, so I will. :) If you want some "retro-feel with innovation", you may want to take a look at Kenzer & Co's Hackmaster Basic. You can get it as a PDF first if you want. You can buy it for about $15, from the main Kenzer & Co. website (Kenzer & Company).

I'm an old 4e HM DM and love that system. I think the new "HMb" rules are quite interesting, and will be likely trying them out for the first time later today (in about 11 hours or so). :)

Hit the Kenzer forums and ask some questions if you have any; we're generally a bunch of happy (yet crotchity) old grognards.

PS: (Ignore those yelling "Git offa my yard ya dang kids!"...as I said, we can be a bit 'cantankerous', but we mean well... ;) ).

^_^

Paul L. Ming

Remove ads