RPGs, new games and originality

Thomas Shey

Legend
What if you don't like narrative games, Story Now, etc? What's out there outside of D&D for that? The basic design philosophy for those games is do fundamentally different that, coming from D&D, it may very well be too big a shock to even feel like the same hobby to a long-time D&D player. I know I've bounced off those kinds of games every time I've encountered them.

There are tons of trad games that are not D&D derived to any significant degree, even more so if you're willing to get out of traditional non-medieval fantasy. Fragged Empire. Wicked Pacts. BASH UE. SABRE SF.
[Edit an additional line out because it was busting your chops for something that had already been done enough.]

Last edited:

Thomas Shey

Legend
I believe that Cavegirl has since mostly abandoned the OSR, with her viewing it as a toxic cesspool, and she designed her game Dungeon Bitches using PbtA.

That's an overstatement, but if you hit the wrong parts of it, its an easy perception to come by.

Aldarc

Legend
That's an overstatement, but if you hit the wrong parts of it, its an easy perception to come by.
Maybe, but I'm only conveying that the author of the tweet has been pretty vocal about her own negative experiences with the OSR community and has ran a successful Kickstarter for a PbtA game. I have no interest in denying her experiences or casting aspersions at any of her "perceptions" thereof.

Thomas Shey

Legend
Maybe, but I'm only conveying that the author of the tweet has been pretty vocal about her own negative experiences with the OSR community and has ran a successful Kickstarter for a PbtA game. I have no interest in denying her experiences or casting aspersions at any of her "perceptions" thereof.

I don't think suggesting something is an over-generalization is denying someone's experiences. Her experiences can have legitimately taught her that and still be an over-generalization. That's true for anybody anytime, so I hardly can see it as "casting aspersions". All it says is you can never see the whole picture, just the part you interact with.

Remove ads