Island Empire Part 2, Mermaid's Rest

Scotley

Hero
Aboard the Rumpled Bedsheet

As Radoon is walking the decks and chatting with the crew a hint of movement catches his eye. A shadow near the port railing seems somehow out of place where just an instant before he thought there was some movement. The spot is some 30' away.

Scotley

Hero
The boat moves slowly back to the 'Bedsheet' in the warm sun. Captain Morwyn seems lost in thought or perhaps just lulled by the fine food and drink of the meal, either way he sees nothing out of the ordinary. However, Rook and Finn are facing each other and chatting when at the same time Rook says, "That's an odd boat following us." and Finn says, "Something strange about that boat coming toward us." They glance at each other and then over their shoulders. Very similar low dark boats are coming at you with some haste from opposite directions. Each has a tarp covered cargo and is moving swiftly under a small sail in a strong wind. The funny thing is you own boat is entirely becalmed and using oars. Worse yet these boats are moving in exactly opposite directions suggesting that the wind is blowing toward you from two directions at once. Your sailors instincts tell you that something unusual is happening. No crew is visible on either boat except for the top of the head of each rudderman who are wearing funny broad domed hats presumably for the shade, but it obscures their features as well.

mleibrock

First Post
Radoon - Mariner/Fighter/Master Thrower

Scotley said:
As Radoon is walking the decks and chatting with the crew a hint of movement catches his eye. A shadow near the port railing seems somehow out of place where just an instant before he thought there was some movement. The spot is some 30' away.

Let's try to rope skill and see if I may be able to catch something or at least spook it out into the open.

rope use (1d20+7=15)
Trying to lasoo where the shadow indicates the object is. Probably not with that roll, bummer, would have been cool.

Scotley

Hero

The lasso flies out and lands on the deck without encountering any resistence. A shadowy form begins moving toward Radoon now with considerable speed. It has a vaguely manlike shape but is floating a few inches off the deck. It passes through a barrel of water as if it weren't there. A cold chill races up Radoon's spine. Something frightening is happening. A couple of men on deck turn to look at the thing moving toward Radoon, too stunned to act.

OOC: Roll initiative. The creature has Initiative (1d20+2=16). Here's an image of what you see.

Attachments

• MM35_PG222a.jpg
    MM35_PG222a.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 62

mleibrock

First Post
Radoon - Mariner/Fighter/Master Thrower

If it just moved through a barrel of water, I am guessing I will not be able to hit it, so I will look for a rope to swing by, hopfully one is nearby so that I can swing out over the water and land on another part of the deck.

Scotley

Hero

OOC: Radoon needs to make a spot check DC:12 and if successful a jump check as well. That 20 may not be wasted if it gets you away from the thing that is closing rapidly on you.

Scotley

Hero
Aboard the 'Rumpled Bedsheet'

Radoon spots a line and takes a leap, but is unable to get the needed momentum. He only swings about 5 feet. The creature is soon on him and the dread attack (1d20+6=20) comes. The shadowy appendage reaches through Radoon's armor as if it weren't even there. He feels a chilling touch on his heart. A portion of his strength (1d8=5) seems to simply drain away and he feels suddenly weaker.

OOC: Radoon takes 5 points of temporary strength damage. His current strength is now 7 meaning that his melee attacks and all damage are now at a minus 2 instead of the former +1 for a 12 strength. Your action.

Remove ads