• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Keep on the Shadowfell preview

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I'm highly disappointed that 4 of the maps are re-prints (w/o the DDM stuff) of maps from the forgotten locations' line. I expect new art. This is very annoying.

occam

Adventurer
thalmin said:
Just a brief post (my game starts soon)
I just realized a couple changes in the Fighter's Combat Challenge:

Also Combat Superiority has changed. It is now simply

Well, that would negate the paladin/fighter combo that's been brought up, where the pally marks and hangs back firing ranged attacks, while the fighter keeps the marked opponent from moving to engage the pally. For the fighter to get an immediate interrupt, she has to mark the opponent, which would get rid of the pally's mark.

lvl20dm

Explorer
While Dominated, characters are also dazed - they only get to make one action (minor, move, or standard).

Some of the numbers on these characters are interesting. The Damage from Divine Challenge from the Paladin is 6 instead of 8 - since his Wis is 13, I think damage is 5+Wis mod. (and maybe half level? wasn't clear). He also only had one lay on hands, which makes me think that is determined by Wis as well. The Paladin also had a +7 basic attack with his longsword; he's STR 18 and doesn't have Weapon Focus or anything - they didn't list a +1 class feature bonus to attack like they did with the Fighter (who receives a +1 to attack with 2-hnd Weapons). I'm guessing that longswords are Prof. 3, though Riardon (the Ranger Pregen) creates a discrepancy. As others have noted, the Paladin also had one less Channel Divinity power.

The Fighter's Combat Superiority is indeed different - we know that Fighter abilities have changed since DDXP, so I think they are making the Fighter wait for this ability or pay for it with a feat. He does not appear to gain anything in place of it with his combat challenge or other class features. It should be noted that this ability significantly impacts the ranged Paladin divine challenge tactic that people have discussed.

I think the Half-elf is messed up. James Wyatt said they get built in multiclassing, this one doesn't have it(unless it is hidden, but all the race stuff is discussed up front with the other characters). I think they may have cut it out to save space...seriously - his entry is very crowded already. He gets a sweet encounter power at 3rd level that does something like 2d8+Wis damage and gives (hit or miss) combat advantage against that enemy for one ally.

occam said:
For the fighter to get an immediate interrupt, she has to mark the opponent, which would get rid of the pally's mark.

The rule say the fighter can mark anyone she attacks, not that she must or does so automatically.

dervish

First Post
The rule say the fighter can mark anyone she attacks, not that she must or does so automatically.
I believe he's referring to that the target must be marked for the fighter to be able to perform the interrupt attack. Something that is not the case as far as I can see.

FireLance

Legend
lvl20dm said:
Some of the numbers on these characters are interesting. The Damage from Divine Challenge from the Paladin is 6 instead of 8 - since his Wis is 13, I think damage is 5+Wis mod. (and maybe half level? wasn't clear).
This doesn't gel with what Stephen Radney-MacFarland (Associate Developer, RPG R&D, Wizards of the Coast) said in another thread:
Adso said:
You can take thrown (simple) weapons with the paladin, but it's never the best option, since your weapon powers are almost always melee, and your ranged powers are almost always implement powers. If you use this "throw build" you'll end up doing basic attacks with ranged (meaning you'll have to build in a higher Dex than you normally would) and trying not tanking your Cha (since you want to get the most damage you can out of your divine challenge ability) even then I don't think it’ll work very well. You are better off, using your challenge, marking foes, and keeping them on you, and then attacking with powers that grant allies bonuses to AC, grant temporary hit points, or that move your opponent away from you or your allies (making your target work to come get you or take your radiant damage, all of which is fine defending if you ask me).
One possibility is that the base damage for Divine Challenge has been reduced, and it is now 3 + Charisma bonus.

dervish said:
I believe he's referring to that the target must be marked for the fighter to be able to perform the interrupt attack. Something that is not the case as far as I can see.
I agree. The free attack is an additional use of the power.

Stogoe

First Post
Do you think this means that if a sword and board fighter wants to prevent an enemy from disengaging him, he'll have to override the paladin's mark?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads