Koukonsögur - Saga of the Trollfed Aerie - IC

Cor Azer

First Post
Koukonsögur - Saga of the Trollfed Aerie - IC

Koukonsögur - Saga of the Trollfed Aerie 1 - The Return of the Thegn

OOC: This is the in-character game thread for the Koukonsögur - Saga of the Trollfed Aerie play-by-post game.

Out of character discussion can be found here: http://www.enworld.org/forum/talking-talk/310696-koukonsoegur-saga-trollfed-aerie-ooc.html
Character sheets can be found here: http://www.enworld.org/forum/rogues-gallery/310954-koukonsoegur-saga-trollfed-aerie-characters.html

Mid-afternoon, a cool late spring day. The rain has somehow respectfully held off, but the winds are ever-present, rustling the leaves of the few nearby cherry trees.

The body of the late thegn, Njall Strothtoshi, called Firebeard, lies at peace in his funeral boat, moored just off a small platform jutting into the Iyofryjkawa River only a thousand feet from the top of the massive waterfall that tumbles into the Gods' Wrath Sea far below. Shrouds wrap his body, his axe - Mirth's End - across his chest, his shield at his feet, and a simple iron crown - a replica of the one now worn by his son - rests atop his head.

Crowds line both banks of the river, and more stand upon the stone bridge downstream. Nearly half of the populations of Kjuriyo and Jasmine have emptied to wish the late thegn well on his journey, and even several from more distant Durel-dor-shima, Fryjjarwa, and Kawasiddr. It has been long since a thegn was given such a ceremony; Firebeard was the first thegn in nearly a century who died naturally, in bed with the Keep of the Last Sight. Most others had been lost to some fell touch of the curse of Oka Kjurama, and their bodies were rarely recovered.

As such, although sombre, the funeral rites of Firebeard are in part slightly celebratory - with many hushed tales of his adventures in his younger days being spread again through the gathered, carrying the faint spicing of hope that one day, perhaps soon, the curse that befell Oka Kjurama might end.

Srothgar the Younger, brother to the deceased thegn, speaks the funeral rites, urging the spirit of Njall Strothtoshi to not only find his way to the afterlife halls of their forefathers, but to cleave his way there and claim his rightful spot at their side. As he finishes, the tenders of the sacred garden in Kjuriyo, Lia Nightbloom and Ulrik Brightvein begin lowering floating rice-paper candles into the water. The current of the river takes them quickly, and as others gathered follow suit with their own floating candles, the river takes on the image of a swarm of fireflies massing towards the waterfall.

Hayazo Strothtoshi, called Njallssen, the son of Firebeard and the new thegn of Oka Kjurama, raises his hand and says some final words only heard by himself and his father's corpse.

In the distance, the nigh-dormant volcano of Kjur Peak rumbles, as the curse reminds those present that it lingers even if it did not take this thegn.

The new thegn slowly lowers his hand, and two of the Blood of Ursolm step forward, laying flaming torches at the foot of Firebeard's funeral boat. Quickly, the flames lick up the sides, surrounding the shrouded body, and it is almost into a full blaze by the time Hayazo cuts the mooring rope, releasing the boat to the current.

The boat picks up speed as the Iyofryjkawa River carries the late thegn's body towards its final destination. As the pyre passes beneath the stone bridge, only a few in the crowd spot a small black shape drop into the fire.

Cries go out as the new figure stands, raising Mirth's End in triumph from one hand and something less identifiable in the other, but seemingly torn from the thegn's body. In the crowd, Satoshi Okudaira and Kadlin Ragnarsdottir recognize the creature as a goblin, and even notice a red amulet around its neck that flashes brightly even as the flames whip around it harmlessly.

As the burning funeral boat nears the edge of the waterfall, the goblin cries out, "Vengeance!".

The curse too, wants its vengeance on the late thegn, as the bamboo of the platform gives way to the weight upon it, dumping many into the shallow waters of the river, and trying to pull a few with the current.

OOC: I'll be adding some attacks against characters' reflexes shortly - anyone who is hit was on the platform that collapsed and is dumped into knee-height water - difficult terrain. Anyone missed either was on solid land, the stone bridge, or leapt free of the platform (your choice). Hayazo, Srothgar, and two of the Blood of Ursolm are in the water for sure, as are about 10 random townsfolk. The burning funeral boat is about 2 rounds from reaching the edge of the waterfall, about 800 feet from the collapsed platform (400 feet from the stone bridge if anyone who was missed chooses their character was there).

Voda Vosa

First Post
Olaf was quietly watching the proceedings from the wooden platform when the structure gave away, and he found himself in the water, gasping for air. Anger grows in the temperamental raider, as he draws his axe and shouts a challenge to the goblin. "Defiler! I'll rip yer head and bask in yer blood!" using his knowledge on how to move in tough places, he advances at an unpaired speed in the shallow waters.

OOC: Using Surefooted stride, ignores difficult terrain, double move towards the boat, +2 defenses while on difficult terrain. Total of 16 squares covered on water

Last edited:

Someone

Adventurer
Among the populace around the bamboo platform there’s a small itinerant monk who few, if any, people pay any regard. He’s deeply concentrated on silent prayers – or so would seem. He moves among the crowd, ears well open, ready to pick any suspicious conversation or rumour.

Subtle sounds of cracking catch his attention as he moves beside the platform. One second later it break in a splinter shower that could lacerate his flesh; fortunately, the monk is quick enough to shield his face with his straw hat, in which several sharp bamboo needles are embedded. Throwing the ruined hat aside, he watches the hideous creature in the middle of the flaming boat, and spits to the ground as a ward against black magic.

He’s compelled to run towards the bridge, but some may find suspicious that a monk would leave the people that fell into the river to their fate. He rummages into his bag, and produces a rope, which he ties to one of the surviving bamboo pillars.

[sblock=actions]
EDIT: just to clarify, just in case we're doing things in combat rounds, actions would be to get the rope from the "backpack", tie it to somewhere solid enough, and throw the rope to those struggling in the water. I think that's a round worth of actions.

Also, if I understand correctly, the bridge stands between the platform and the waterfall, so if I wanted to go after the goblin I'd go next to the bridge, is that correct?[/sblock]

Last edited:

pathfinderq1

First Post
Kadlin had risen well before sunrise to stake out a place from which to watch the proceedings- it was this event, this ritual, that the Raven Queen had guided her here to observe, of this she was certain. She took a place at the top of the bridge, and watched the ceremony itself very carefully- when the other folk set their tiny candles afloat, Kadlin instead cast a single raven's feather into the river. Curse or no curse, even the mightiest of men must pass on eventually.

As she made her way through the crowd to the other side of the bridge, to watch the funeral boat pass over the falls, she was in no position to see the dark figure drop into the flaming barge- the crowds were too thick. But as the goblin revealed itself, Kadlin saw, all too well. She spat a blistering curse in the dwarven tongue, denouncing the creature for profaning the sacred rites. She eyed the distance carefully- and judged it too far for any human bowshot, and the flaming barge would clear the edge before a running man could bridge the gap...

Still, the goblin would have to leave the boat, or fall to its own doom. With another sharp curse, Kadlin unslung the heavy bow from her back and began to run.

[sblock= OOC]
>Judging as 400 feet is double max range for a bow, there seems to be no chance of a shot, so choosing pursuit instead.
>Active Aspect is Seeking Falcon, the better to watch the proceedings
>Minor: ready bow
>Move +Standard>Move= double move (run), off bridge and towards falls; speed 6 +2 aspect +2 run= 10, double 20 squares
[/sblock]

GROMkill

First Post
Dossk's journey for answers had led him to the funeral at Iyofryjkawa River, where he might find someone who knew his brother or the other Runners. However, things quickly turned rotten as screams were heard and he saw the goblin parading about on top of his late thegn's body.

Concern, anger, and fear coursing through his veins but showing a stone facade, Dossk tears Kurnhuelde, his ragged mordenkrad, from its tie around his pack, and quickly makes his way off the iron bridge, eyes locked at the source of the horror. Edging along the side of the river, he grits his teeth and barrels toward the goblin, nothing but exacting vengeance on his mind.

[sblock=Mechanics]I'll go with the flow here, as I've never been in an pseudo-combat encounter like this!

Minor: Ready Kurnhuelde
Move and Standard: Run off the stone bridge, and along the side of the river toward the goblin on the pyre.[/sblock]

twilsemail

First Post
Skaldi rises quickly, sputtering in the water. Water runs off of his clothes and armor as if it were treated to repel such things. “Oh! This shall not stand!”

Steam rises from the angered half-fiend as he does his best to move towards the fallen thegn and the creature defiling him.

[sblock=Actions]
Minor: Look for a boat or something
Move: Run towards the boat if seen, towards the falls if not. (4 squares)
Standard>Move: Same as above. Alternately, get in the boat.

[sblock=Skaldi]Skaldi—Male Tiefling Warlord 1
Initiative: +2, Passive Perception: 10, Passive Insight: 10
AC: 16, Fort: 13, Reflex: 14, Will: 14 — Speed: 6
HP: 26/26, Bloodied: 13, Surge: 6, Surges left: 9/9
Action Points: 1/1, Second Wind: Not Used, Milestones: 0
Powers:
Commander’s Strike
Direct the Strike
Powerful Warning
Orchestrated Offensive
Inspiring Word
Inspiring Word (2)
Infernal Wrath
Noble Presence
Conditions:
Sheet: http://www.enworld.org/forum/rogues...ga-trollfed-aerie-characters.html#post5675923 [/sblock][/sblock]

Pentius

First Post
During the ceremony, a short, quiet man with dark blue skin and elfin features watches and prays. He smiles at the tales of the Thegn's glory, and makes mental note of them to record later. It was these tales he came for. That, and to see if the Moon would grant him a vision of the new Thegn.

Suddenly, Satoshi gets a flash of warning, the image of a goblin wreathed in flame, pierces his mind's eye. Seconds later, a voice is heard to scream "Vengeance!" and the bamboo platform collapses. Satoshi springs into action, holding his staff horizontally across his back as he races along the river bank. Several others rush with him, but he takes little note of their features as his focus lies upon the amulet around the goblin's neck, and in closing the gap between himself and the foe.

[sblock=mechanics]Double move, run action. That gets me 16 squares.[/sblock]
[sblock=Satoshi]

AC: 17
Fort: 12
Ref: 15
Will: 15
HP: 23/23 Bloodied 11
Surges: 7/7 Surge Value: 5
AP 1/1

Hand of Radiance
Visions of Blood

[]Cast Fortune
[]Whispers of Defeat
[]Memory of a Thousand Lifetimes
[]Action Point
[]Second Wind
[]CD-Rebuke Undead
[]CD-Maledictor's Doom

[]Silent Malediction

Full Sheet: http://www.enworld.org/forum/rogues-gallery/310954-koukonsoegur-saga-trollfed-aerie-characters.html [/sblock]

Last edited:

Walking Dad

First Post
Daigon

49722d1315477641-koukonsoegur-saga-trollfed-aerie-characters-daigon.jpg

Daigon curses as he is plunged into the cold water. Getting up easily despite his heavy black scaled armor and dragon-rune-shield. He moves as quickly back to land to follow the boat on secure ground. May the villagers save themselves. Only the strong survive. And he will make sure this gobiln is not one of them...

[sblock=OOC]

using all actions for the above described movement. Will we use maps later? It helps with the flanking rules which Daigon really needs to be at his best.

[sblock=Character Sheet]
Daigon
Perception: 12 Insight: 10 Normal Vision
AC 19 Fortitude 15 Reflex 14 Will 14
Initiative: +1
Hit Points: 29 / 29 Bloodied: 14
Temporary Hit Points: 0
Resist: -
Saving Throw: -
Action Points: 1 Second Wind: 1
Milestones: 0.0
Healing Surge: 9 Surges per day: 12 / 12
At-Will Powers: Dominator's Strike, Vengeance Strike
Encounter Powers: Dragon Breath, Guardian's Counter, Dread Smite, Shroud of Shadow
Daily Powers: -

Condition:
[/sblock][/sblock]

Last edited:

Cor Azer

First Post
As Skaldi pulls himself from the cool water steaming around him, his eyes momentarily catch sight of a pole boat being pulled free from the wreckage of the platform, and he scrambles aboard before the current hauls it downstream. The small dip for holding cargo is empty - it's probable that anything that was there got dumped in the river, but the four poles are still strapped on at the corners, keeping the shallow hull still balanced.

As he moves along the north bank from the once-platform, Daigon notices Skaldi float past in the recovered pole boat, mere feet from the shore line.

Just ahead of Skaldi's pole boat, Olaf the Mean moves easily through the water, letting the current help him forward as well, even though the cool water splashes annoyingly in his face.

On the north shore, Dossk and Satoshi run along the rocky shore, unknowingly keeping pace with each other, while on the south shore, Kadlin leads them by nearly twenty feet.

Kjula finishes tying off his rope to one of the surviving bamboo pillars, and is almost immediately inundated with calls for help from several of the townsfolk who've yet to pull themselves from the water.

The two men of the Blood of Ursolm dig their feet into the rocky riverbed to try holding against the current, each with an outstretched arm holding their thegn, but a few feet away, Srothgar loses his footing in the water, and is carried downstream only a short distance behind Skaldi's pole boat, followed by two other villagers.

The goblin on the late thegn's funeral boat ceases his celebration, noting several people rushing towards him. The roar of the nearby waterfall drowns out any shouts directed at him, but he's not so stupid as to believe they mean anything but his death. The amulet on his chest flashes again as the flames try to taste his flesh, although Kadlin notes that it is less bright than before.

Quickly he drops his small prize into a pouch, but keeps his grip firmly on the stolen axe. From his belt he pulls out a small length of rope, and whips it at a rocky outcropping on the south bank as the current pulls the floating pyre past. Almost impossibly, the short length of rope stretches across half the river and somehow secures itself to the rock. With a snap, it contracts, pulling the goblin free of the burning boat and landing him on the south bank, closer to the cliff's edge than the chasing female ranger.

OOC: I wasn't necessarily planning on their being a pole boat, but it makes sense that there might be some, so sure, Skaldi can find one. That sort of thing will be allowed in the future as well - if you want to add reasonable window dressing to a scene, feel free to do so as long as it doesn't contradict anything I've said (so if I said you're in a windowless room, don't go trying to pull back a curtain that reveals one...)

[sblock=Rough Map]
Rough map... (I have no idea if this'll be clear or not)
River: 200ft/40sq wide
W: Waterfall
B: Bridge (level with banks at ends, 40ft high in center)
P: Collapsed platform, most of the townsfolk stuck in the water
o: Olaf (Voda Vosa)
s: Kjula (Someone)
g: Goblin
k: Kadlin (pathfinderq1)
d: Dossk (GROMkill)
t: Skaldi (twilsemail)
p: Satoshi (Pentius)
w: Daigon (Walking Dad)
y: Srothgar the Younger, two random townsfolk
x: empty space holder
... Curses! Why must my players always choose names starting with the same letters?!?

North bank:
W<-- 20sq -->x<-- 80sq -->x<-- 4sq -->dp<-- 16sq -->B<-- 44sq -->x<-- 16sq -->xx<-- 12sq -->w<-- 8sq -->sP
River:
W<-- 20sq -->x<-- 80sq -->x<-- 4sq -->xx<-- 16sq -->B<-- 44sq -->o<-- 16sq -->ty<-- 12sq -->x<-- 8sq -->
South bank:
W<-- 20sq -->g<-- 80sq -->k<-- 4sq -->xx<-- 16sq -->B<-- 44sq -->x<-- 16sq -->xx<-- 12sq -->x<-- 8sq -->[/sblock]

[sblock=Encounter special traits]
Anyone in the water moves downstream 20 squares at the end of the round due to the current.
The water is fast moving, but not particularly choppy. A DC 10 Athletics check could let you swim your speed, but the river is shallow enough that there's no fear of drowning with failure.
Up to eight people can fit on a pole boat, but only four can use poles at a time; one more boat could be salvaged from the platform. Each move action used to pole the boat moves it 6 squares.[/sblock]

OOC: I will try to use better maps when I can, but this first encounter is spread across such a large area that it's a bit awkward to do up a 200 square wide by 50 square high map. If/when action is more "zoomed in", I'll try to bring up a proper map.

Also, I do a lot of my updates through my iPhone, so I was planning on doing my maps through Google Docs (Spreadsheet) so I have editing access on my various devices. Unless someone has a better idea? (Post to the OOC thread so we don't derail the IC too much)

[sblock=Goblin]
Oh, and in case someone can figure a way to get an attack off...

Goblin Vengeance-seeker
HP: 92; Bloodied 46
AC 21; Fort 17; Reflex 17; Will 14

... Yeah, not a typical goblin
[/sblock]

Someone

Adventurer
Kjula throws the now tied rope towards those he thinks are in the greatest need, then runs towards the bridge, following the northen shore, as fast as he can.

Remove ads