Kulan: Knightfall's Heroes of Carnell Game [OOC]

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Quick summary for @Tellerian Hawke:

Not much has happened since the last time you posted. The PCs are still exploring the old ruins. Aureus has been searching for traps. The PCs found a room with several shelves. One is filled with books but Phar detected two magical auras in the room. I still have to have Aureus search for traps.

All the other rooms are mainly filled with debris and old furniture that has seen better days. The magic that once protected the temple isn't protecting the eastern part of the ruins. There haven't been any more encounters with creatures since Phar blasted the rat swarm.

Maur and Quinn try to pull up a grate in a long hallway, but it won't budge.

I haven't been posting as much for Heroes of Carnell. I'll try to get a post up sometime tomorrow, or on Tuesday. I have physio tomorrow, so I'm going to try to get it done before I go.

As discussed in discord, Phar wants to dispel both auras. There is a couple of options for doing it safely.

Option 1:
If Aureus feels it is safe for us to withdraw from the room (several people are standing on the large grate). Everyone can move away to different rooms and Phar can move down the hallway so he can see a point just outside the room. Dispel Magic is a 20 foot burst that goes around corners so it would hit the bookshelf and the main aura on the floor. It would potentially hit other rooms beyond if there are holes in the walls.
Supersafe.jpg

if, for some reason, Aureus deems it unsafe for us to withdraw (because we're standing on a pressure plate or something, I'd like to use this method: The black wall is Wall of Force, ubutted against a couple walls to create a barrier which will protect everyone on the other side.

If it's safe for Phar to withdraw, he will do so, otherwise, he gets hit with dispel magic too, which is fine. If it's safe, he will withdraw into the other room on the left or all the way back. The weird blue is all the areas where dispel magic bursts into. Phar should have some cover from the trap because of the wall, based on where he's standing. dispel magic doesn't work on Wall of Force, so it won't be dispelled. What do you want to do? What does Aureus suggest?

protected dispel.jpg

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Floor : 1D20+10 = [12]+10 = 22
bookshelf :1D20+10 = [14]+10 = 24

If I read the rules correctly, I've hit caster level 11 for the floor and caster level 13 for the bookshelf.

I will randomly roll a couple more times in case there are other auras Phar didn't see that the dispel magic may have overlapped with:

extra dispel: 1D20+10 = [5]+10 = 15
1D20+10 = [2]+10 = 12

Maybe just ignore the last two rolls.... :p
After reading through the dispel magic's description, I'm certain that Phar would have to use the targeted version of the spell to dispel the magical traps. And, yes, they are magical traps, not active spells. An area dispel cannot affect magical items, so Phar can't dispel them in that fashion. He would know this fact.

Phar can, at most, supress one of the magical traps for 1d4 rounds with a successfully targeted dispel magic vs. that particular trap. See the last paragraph of the "Other Ways to Beat a Trap" sidebar on p. 73 of the PHB. (I'd forgotten about that. Sorry. 😳 )

You could have Phar try to target either magical aura, but he must have line of sight. He wouldn't be able to do it from a safe distance.
Since Phar knows the auras are magical traps, he and the PCs do have some options. The rules for identifying magical items come into play. A successful DC 30 Knowledge (arcana) check means that a character has learned about the magical trap some time in the past. However, the character has to be able to study the trap up close. So, you can do that for the trap with the aura on the floor but not the one on the book shelf.

A successful DC 15 Search check could help reveal clues, but the PCs must be careful to not activate the traps while searching. Aureus has already searched outside in the corridor and found nothing, so there likely isn't anything to find in the corridor related to the trap. She'd have to risk going into the old library.

Identify and Analyze Dweomer would be very helpful in this situation. But, of course, Phar would need the material components.

Aureus can use Bardic Knowledge to try to decipher the history and functions for any magic items that are considered legendary or very well known.

Aureus - Bardic Knowledge check: 1D20+6 = [16]+6 = 22

Remove ads