• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

LA Alternative

Hawken

First Post
I've been working on an alternative to the concept of LAs that revolve around something similar to the Bloodline mechanic in Unearthed Arcana.

The abilities the race gets are received not all at once, but as the character levels. At certain points, the character has to take a 'Racial Level' to compensate for the abilities they gain.

The example I'll use will be for Drow, an LA +2 race. The level 6 abilities are my idea, stretching back to the 2e concept of Drow getting those spells at 6th level. Drow are basically Elves, gaining all the abilities of the Elven race and in addition, they gain the following:

Level 1: Intelligence +2, Spell Like Abilities (Darkness, Faerie Fire, Dancing Lights), Darkvision 120', and Light Blindness.

Level 2: Spell Resistance (11 + ECL), +2 bonus to saves vs. spells and spell like abilities.

Level 4: Charisma +2.

Level 6: Improved Spell Like Abilities (Drow can cast their existing SLA one extra time per day each and can now cast Detect Magic, Discern Alignment and Levitate 1/day).

At levels 3 and 6, the Drow takes a Racial Level.

Racial Levels do not provide HD, BAB, Saves, or any other special abilities. The racial level counts as a class level for the special abilities of all existing special abilities of their classes. At each racial level, the character gains a number of hit points equal to their Constitution modifier and they gain a number of skill points equal to their Intelligence modifier.

Example: A 6th level Drow (Cleric 2/Paladin 2/"Drow" 2) has both racial levels in Drow that are required. For those two levels, her BAB and Saves did not increase and she did not gain any extra hit points except for her Con modifier. She can cast as many spells per day as a 2nd level cleric, but she is considered to cast them as a 4th level caster. Her Paladin ability to Smite is treated as if she were a 4th level Paladin.

The consequences of not taking a Racial Level is the loss of the gained abilities. In the above case, if the Drow did not take his Drow Level at 3rd, he would lose his spell like abilities and his Intelligence would be reduced, in addition, he would lose his SR and bonus to saves. If he didn't take his 6th level as a Drow Level, he would lose his Charisma bonus and his improved spell like abilities. In this case, the Drow would not lose their Darkvision because they would be keeping their Light Blindness as well.

This is just a rough concept for now, but what do you guys think about it?

Kerrick

First Post
I had the same idea, actually. After bashing on it and bashing on it, I couldn't make it work right and I gave up. Lucky for me, Upper Krust is coming up with an ECL-based system for monsters; it'll be in his last 3.5 book, Godsend. After that, I'll happily convert everything to ECLs and toss CRs and LAs into the trash where they belong.

Kerrick

First Post
That's a good question. There's a thread in the Eternity Publishing forum (that's UK) for Godsend; he said he's got a few little bits to take care of, it'll go to his editor, and then we'll get it - I'm figuring 4-6 weeks. As far as where to buy it... I think it'll be available through RPGNow, or maybe the ENWorld store.

Sylrae

First Post
How is your system really different than breaking a race down like they did in savage species and having them get their levels that way? I mean, other than the fact that this system you dont get to pick what levels to take your racial levels at, and you dont get all your abilities on racial levels..

But it basically works out the same, no?

Hawken

First Post
The differences are:

1) Mine is just to cover/eliminate the LA of a race. So far. SS factors in the whole ECL. I'm not looking at that yet. I'm concerned with PC races with LA, not so much those with RHD right now.

Case in point: Duergar. LA +1 race. Their abilities should be LA +2 with all their immunities and innate abilities. Spread their powers (anything not covered by the "dwarf" racial abilities) out over 2 levels and by level 3 make them take a Racial level where they gain no bonus to BAB, Saves, HD or any special abilities. Instead, they gain a small amount of skill points and hit points based on their Int and Con modifiers to keep them "on par" with other characters at the same level. They do not gain any special abilities during their Racial level.

Spreading the abilities out means you can play a 1st level Duergar with other LA +0 races. They get some Duergar abilities, but not all of them and their power level remains roughly the same as any other race/class. After 4th level, they may be 1 class level behind the other players, but their racial abilities compensate for that without overpowering them or having their LA adjustment leave them underpowered during those first three levels where ALL players are vulnerable to a quick death.

2) SS does nothing to solve the problem of LA or CR or ECL. In fact, its method hinges on those broken things.

Ex: A Mind Flayer is a 15 level "class" in SS. However, in a 15th level group, that Mind Flayer is still only a CR 9, 8HD monster who is going to get slaughtered by even a minor encounter for a 15th level group. His skills are not going to be on par with the group, he's going to have fewer feats and his abilities are going to be easily resisted by creatures with 6HD or more (give or take).

As a LA 7 creature. I'd probably do something like spreading his abilities out over 7 levels and make him take a Racial Level every even level or something. That way, by 15th level, he would have all of his racial powers, HD special abilities, and 8 class levels that would keep him on the same power level as a 15th level character/monster.

But this gets into the monster levels which I'm not exactly sure how that works out with this method, but at face value it seems valid.

Sylrae

First Post
Sooo, your idea essentially increases their power level? Uses CR instead of LA? and you dont have the opportunity to multiclass between monster levels and class levels, theyre fixed?

Like the Drow level Progression table in Drow of the Underdark (at the back)?

StormingMarcus

First Post
We could make racial feats that add traits... Maybe not the ability bonuses, but the other features.
Every 1st lvl drow is a lesser drow, but he can invest feats to become a greater drow.
What about it?

Hereticus

First Post
When my group started to play 3.5E (we passed 3.0), everybody wanted to play an exotic race with a high LA.

Then we realized that LA was not nearly as good as class levels, so now nobody plays a race with an LA or HD rating.

Recently we re-did classes (still a work in progress) to dump LA and HD from character races, now we have those racial options back again. A Drow without the SLA and MR is a bit different, but players play the race for the role playing aspect more than for the power build.

We do not allow large sized creatures for player characters, but do allow races like Centaurs. While their horse body may be stronger, they use regular strength ratings for combat attacks.

Simplification is a thing of beauty...

Remove ads