• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Land of Syrael OOC

Bloodweaver1

First Post
penance said:
hrm. I thought 5' steps don't provoke AoO unless you leave the threatened radius completly.

No you are correct, my mistake. :confused:
And to add insult to onto injury, I have forgotten to add Heclar's irrative attacks...hmmm :(

-Blood

penance said:
hrm. I thought 5' steps don't provoke AoO unless you leave the threatened radius completly.

And as far as Luhal's first attack, making an intimdate check counts as an attack action. For the second attack, I will take that roll where you landed 7 damage.

*shrug* I'll just chalk that up to a place where the system doesn't do the best job of emulating reality, then.

I'm not asking for a retcon, by the way, but this is more what I wanted to do:

Luhal moves out, and while the orc is surprised, puts his scimitar in position to threaten a deadly strike. Then he uses a Free Action to speak (hoping the orc understands the local goblin lingo), ordering the orc to hold still.

The intimidation factor would not, then, be a matter of posturing and puffing up. Luhal doesn't do empty posturing. The intimidation would be a matter of "I am threatening, very credibly, to kill you unless you do what I say." The reality of danger hopfully forcing itself on the orc's awareness, rather than the appearance of danger hoping to impress the orc.

*second shrug* To me, intimidation as a skill is about implying a threat, rather than demonstrating it, and in such a case Luhal would only fail if the orc thought he wouldn't go through with it. It's not something 3.x does a good job at modelling.

-Albert

Bloodweaver1

First Post
Al the Absentminded said:
*second shrug* To me, intimidation as a skill is about implying a threat, rather than demonstrating it, and in such a case Luhal would only fail if the orc thought he wouldn't go through with it. It's not something 3.x does a good job at modelling.
That actually would call for a Bluff vs. Sense Motive check, not an Intimidation check as the accused would be challenging the real intent of the acuser.
Al the Absentminded said:
Luhal moves out, and while the orc is surprised, puts his scimitar in position to threaten a deadly strike. Then he uses a Free Action to speak (hoping the orc understands the local goblin lingo), ordering the orc to hold still.

The intimidation factor would not, then, be a matter of posturing and puffing up. Luhal doesn't do empty posturing. The intimidation would be a matter of "I am threatening, very credibly, to kill you unless you do what I say." The reality of danger hopfully forcing itself on the orc's awareness, rather than the appearance of danger hoping to impress the orc.
I understand your point of view, however an Intimation check was the correct call. The acuser is physically forcing its will over the acused via a sword. The intent is clear, it then becomes whether the acused believes it can still over power the acuser despite the show of force.

I hope this helps in understanding the situation a bit better.

-Blood

penance

First Post
*nods*

Sounds like a good idea, Al, I was always a fan of the 'intimdate check as a move action', which sounds like basically what you want. Still however, Luhal wasn't next to the orc, and so would have also required a move action to get close to the orc.

The basic idea is that with moving to the orc as part of the turn, you couldn't also, in the space of six seconds, threaten the orc, and then wait for his response, and then attack.

*shrugs*

anyways, as soon as Rhun posts his round 2 attacks, I can complete that post.

Everyone else can post round 3 (and I see Heclar has already done so. Nice hit, by the way.)

Rhun

First Post
penance said:
anyways, as soon as Rhun posts his round 2 attacks, I can complete that post.

Everyone else can post round 3 (and I see Heclar has already done so. Nice hit, by the way.)

Oops...sorry. Thought I did that. I'll get it posted here shortly.

penance

First Post
Ok. Thanks for the post Rhun, Now I need the same for Round 3. Heclar is still the only one with round three attack done. Is everyone understanding how this is working?

penance

First Post
ooc: *sigh* sorry all, I've decided to log off of here for the last time. Pretty soon I'll be leaving on a mission for my church, the church of Jesus Christ of latter-day Saints. I'll be gone for 2 years, so I figure it's a good idea to start logging off.

I love the world of syrael, and you guys all have permission to do campaigns or change around stuff or whatever. I hope someone could take over the DM'ing of this thread, but I don't know what you guys will decide to do.

I hope you guys have fun.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads