• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Late, lamented (or unlamented) fast-food chains

Arnwyn

First Post
Psychic Warrior said:
I miss The Olive Garden. Most of the locations closed across Ontario (and most of Canada from what I understand).
Really? Wow - I did not know that. We got lots, here...

I miss Fuddruckers, and especially Chi-Chi's. :(

der_kluge[/QUOTE said:
There was a "KenTacoHut" in Kansas City, which was a Pizza Hut, Taco Bell, and KFC all rolled into one place.
We have tons of those in Canada.

I am very thankful that we still have tons of Taco Times here.

Teflon Billy

Explorer
Krieg said:
The short story...

Laying low through the divorce, which has at times gotten pretty nasty.

Other than that I've mostly been breathing fresh mountain air while playing security contractor.

The long story is of course...longer. ;)

Short form is good enough for me, as it described neither injury nor sickness. Divorces can be rough, but at least they definitely go away:)

In any event, welcome back man:)

Krieg

First Post
Teflon Billy said:
Short form is good enough for me, as it described neither injury nor sickness.

FWIW my cancer appears to be gone (at least for now) and everything else is just superficial. So it's all good.

Divorces can be rough, but at least they definitely go away:)

Yep, they just take too damn long to do it.

Did I mention this was my second time around? lol

In any event, welcome back man:)

Thanks, it's good to be back.

Now I just have track down the couple of folks I owe money/books to and everything should be golden.

kenobi65

First Post
Krieg said:
Olive Garden is still going strong here, Fuddruckers seems to be just getting by and Chi-Chi's are going bye-bye.

More generally:

- Olive Garden is generally doing really well in most places in the U.S., though the slowdown in the economy in recent months has pinched all of the Casual Dining places a little bit. It's possible that they've retrenched from Canada for whatever reason. I have a contact at Darden (the owners); maybe I can find out what's going on there.

- Fuddruckers' big time was in the late '80s, when they positioned themselves as "gourmet burgers for yuppies." They've been in a slow decline ever since.

- Chi-Chi's does seem to be slowly vanishing. Little-known fact: the founder of Chi-Chi's was a guy named Max McGee; he was a wide receiver for the Green Bay Packers in the 1960s (he and Paul Hornung were drinking buddies). He sold Chi-Chi's to W.R. Grace (probably in the late '70s or early '80s) for a fortune.

Torm

Explorer
wingsandsword said:
It's the Cheddar Melt. A rye bun, a tasty cheddar goo-sauce, and carmelized onions sure make for a nice burger. I'd probably get sick of it fairly quick if it was common, but on the rare occasions they bring it back it's the only time I really go to a McDonalds and enjoy it.
You have NO idea how angry I would get sometimes when passing a McDonald's (or worse, when friends or family would want to stop at one) because they only brought the Cheddar Melt around every decade or so - until I learned how to make them at home:

1. Take four ounces of Velveeta loaf, mix with 4 tablespoons of shredded cheddar and 1 level tablespoon of mustard powder. Microwave to melt, and stir until of even consistency.

2. Put about 3 tablespoons (you can eyeball this, precision not necessary) of minced onion (available in a handy shaker on the spice aisle, usually) in a frying pan. Turn on High heat and add two tablespoons of Kikkoman's teriyaki sauce. Stir fry until the onions have absorbed the sauce, then remove them and set aside.

3. Brown eight hamburger patties. I use the cheaper patties they sell that have soy protein added - seems more true to Mickey D's. ;)

4. Put 'em on rye patties, add the cheese mix, sprinkle with the onions. Serve.

Share And Enjoy! :D

Torm

Explorer
I miss Chi-Chi's - I know they're still around, but not here. I wish we had a Long John Silver's here, too. And a Rocky Rococo's - but not the way they are now, the way they were in 1985. (They say they haven't changed their recipe, but I say BS: I REMEMBER how they tasted, and what we had in Champlain, IL a couple of years ago was NOT it.) Taco Bell is still around, but I wish they still had the BellBeefer. (Yes, I can make them at home, but sometimes it would be convenient to pick one up from them.)

I seem to remember Shakey's having excellent pizza, but that may just be because one of the few times I can remember going anywhere with both my parents without there being a fight was at one.

I miss Pizza Inn. I know they're still around - I even have one within about 45 miles - but they aren't the same at all since they ditched the castle motif interiors. The ambiance of brick and sconces in enclosed booths somehow made the pizza taste better.

I miss Master Wang. They were a chain, now they're back down to the one restaurant in Springfield, MO. I was hoping they would spread all over - can't get Springfield style cashew chicken far outside of Springfield.

And finally, I miss Showbiz Pizza. I know Chuck E Cheese is still around, and they bought Showbiz - but back when they were "Showbiz" they still had an actual ARCADE.

Remove ads