• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Late, lamented (or unlamented) fast-food chains

Krieg

First Post
Darth K'Trava said:
I thought it was ok. But about as good as a TV dinner patty of "pork". It was about the same in taste and appearance.

The McRib has always been a strange one for me. Every couple of years they'd bring it back...I'd get one because it had been forever....then I would be rudely reminded of why I never get more than one during their limited runs....but inevitably by the time they come back again I have completely forgotten just how nasty they are. lol

I normally go out of my way to avoid eating at McDonalds, there is only one thing they have that they periodically bring back.

No, it isn't the McRib. I liked it when I was a kid, but it just wasn't good enough to go back to McDonalds for.

It's the Cheddar Melt. A rye bun, a tasty cheddar goo-sauce, and carmelized onions sure make for a nice burger. I'd probably get sick of it fairly quick if it was common, but on the rare occasions they bring it back it's the only time I really go to a McDonalds and enjoy it.

What money I give to the McDonalds corporation is usually through Chipotle, their food is actually good, spending $7 there for a burrito and coke is usually tastier and better than spending twice that as a "casual dining" place. It disturbs me a little that it's owned by McDonalds, but the food is so good that it outweights my dislike of their parent corporation.

Shemeska

Adventurer
I miss Roy Rogers and Friendly's because I adored them as a kid in New Jersey, and they don't exist down south as far as I can tell.

Roy Rogers Fried Chicken... *drool* Life was good for a while when Hardees bought them and started serving their fried chicken at Hardees restaurants. And then at some point in the 90s as far as I can tell, they just stopped serving it.

Does Hardees still do the Roy Rogers chicken anywhere? And does Roy Rogers still sell their friend chicken?

Teflon Billy

Explorer
Cthulhu's Librarian said:
Sambo's became Denny's. Same place, different name. They were preassured to change the name due to the negative stereotyical image that the name has for African Americans.

Oh, allright.

We have about a million Denny's up here, and they are almost universally crap, so I guess I have nostalgia glasses on:)

diaglo

Adventurer
The Little Tavern in the DC area. i tried sending Queen D and The Universe there for a meal a year or so ago... and found out it went under.

i spent my hard earned pennies there during college for a sack full of burgers. :(

Krieg

First Post
Teflon Billy said:
Holy Crap! Krieg!

You had vanished there for awhile and we thought you had been gravely injured or something.

So what's the story man? Where've you been?

The short story...

Laying low through the divorce, which has at times gotten pretty nasty.

Other than that I've mostly been breathing fresh mountain air while playing security contractor.

The long story is of course...longer. ;)

Bront

The man with the probe
Krieg said:
The McRib has always been a strange one for me. Every couple of years they'd bring it back...I'd get one because it had been forever....then I would be rudely reminded of why I never get more than one during their limited runs....but inevitably by the time they come back again I have completely forgotten just how nasty they are. lol
The McRib makes an appearance in chicago every summer. Not sure why. :\

I LOVE their Arctic Orange shakes.

There's a place in Chicago that since I moved is just a bit too far away to go to regularly, but I love them, is Bueno Beef. Good Itallian Beef, Ribs, Pannini's, Sausage, Burgers, and now even Pizza. They're beggining to pop up, and seem to be doing well against the other popular place like that, Portillo's.

Remove ads