• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Late, lamented (or unlamented) fast-food chains

Krieg

First Post
One local Ohio/Indiana chain that is long gone is Red Barn. To this day I still think they had the best tasting hamburger I ever found at a fast food place.

kenobi65 said:
- Burger Chef was a bigger hamburger chain than the first two; when I was a kid, I think they were probably the #3 burger chain, behind McDonald's and Burger King. IIRC, they had "kid's meals" even before McDonald's did. They, too, are long gone...according to this site, the Burger Chef name is now owned by Carl's Jr., which also now owns Hardee's (though Hardee's is still around, for now.)

Burger Chef...and Jeff! Rocked!

I loved Burger Chef when I was a kid. Of course in those days McDonalds didn't have drive through's and still had western themed decors. lol

kenobi65 said:
Still around; mostly in the Midwest and South. They always struck me as being pretty much the same as Denny's (and that's not necessarily a compliment):
http://www.shoneys.com/travel/

Personally I'd say more like a Frisch's...but that's just me. ;)

loki44 said:
Rax was an Arby's knock-off.

Rax had the best shakes you could find at a fast food place, bar none. They also had a great salad/nacho/pasta bar.

Scotley said:
Godfather's Pizza is long gone

Wow I had forgotten all about Godfather's. That was the local hangout for kids. Dumped a lot of quarters in their video games...but rarely actually ate the pizza.

wingsandsword said:
Lee's Famous Recipe was another KFC pretender to the throne, they were really common around here about 20 years ago or so, but slowly died off. Some still exist, getting by, but it's clear they lost the war, and I haven't seen a new one open in more than a decade (and seen a good number close in that time).

I really...REALLY miss Famous Recipe's chicken gizzards! MMMmmm.....

CarlZog

Explorer
I particularly miss:

Lum's Hot Dogs They had sitdown restaurants and specialized in hot dogs steamed in beer. Disappeared in the '70s. Wonderful places.

Wuv's Hamburgers This was an extremely short-lived Florida chain in the early '80s. The stupid name matched the ugly decor (everything was purple), but they made GREAT fries and burgers.

Sambo's Already mentioned in this thread, Sambo's was a lot better food than Denny's and often featured cool stuff for us kids.

Carl

ssampier

First Post
I (heart) Taco Time. Luckily they'll are in my small town in the boonies of Utah. They are world ahead of Taco Bell in my mind.

They did get rid of the shredded beef soft flour taco, but their chicken B.L.T. soft flour taco almost makes up for it.

ssampier

First Post
sniffles said:
Now we can talk about specific fast-food dishes we used to enjoy that the chains don't offer anymore! I miss chili-cheese burritos from Taco Bell.

Burger King: I loved the Big King, but they don't offer it anymore.
McDonalds: McRib, but I was afraid what it was made of (lampooned as the RibWhich on The Simpsons).
Taco Time: They had a Tai Wrap made of fried boneless chicken breast and rice with spicy peanut sauce, mmm good.

Krieg

First Post
ssampier said:
McDonalds: McRib, but I was afraid what it was made of (lampooned as the RibWhich on The Simpsons).

FWIW the McRib is making one of it's periodic reappearances here in SW Ohio.

Anyone remember when BK had a breakfast burrito of their own?

Darth K'Trava

First Post
Krieg said:
FWIW the McRib is making one of it's periodic reappearances here in SW Ohio.

Anyone remember when BK had a breakfast burrito of their own?

I had a friend comment on which was "better": The McRib or monkey brains. He then proceeded to try to gross out the girl at Micky D's about that..... :confused: I threatened to take away his ice cream cone for that.

I thought it was ok. But about as good as a TV dinner patty of "pork". It was about the same in taste and appearance.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads